The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 10, 2012, 06:37 PM   #1
psyfly

Win 94 44mag weird misfeed

The first cartridge chambers and ejects fine. As the second round begins to enter the chamber, a round is dumped under the elevator locking every thing up. Lever has to be unshipped at the front and the msgazine emptied out the bottom. Help appreciated. Thanks.

W

Last edited by psyfly; August 10, 2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old August 10, 2012, 06:47 PM   #2
Hawg

Sounds like the cartridge stop is worn out.
Old August 10, 2012, 07:08 PM   #3
wild willy

Doesn't have to be worn out some of them did it from brand new.
Old August 11, 2012, 09:52 AM   #4
PetahW

If you remove the lower link, you should see the cartridge stop "finger" (a small stub) sticking "up" from the inside surface at the front end/edge.
The stop is what is supposed to retain remaining cartridges in the magazine until called for.

Some wear down through use, but new ones sometimes are too low/small because they fall at the very low limit of production tolerances.

I've found it best to repair the existing stop by making it longer/taller.

Some do so via welding a little material on top & dressing down with a file; but I've always just swadged (hammered) mine.

I lay the protrusion on it's side, on a steel block (anvil).

I hit the side (use a steel drift) repeatedly with a HEAVY hammer (measure the original length first, so you'll know when it got longer & by how much).
It's better to make it a bit long, then dress it back down.

The repair consists of extending the "too short" stop by only a few thousandth's of an inch - 1/32" is too much.

If your rifle's lower link is of sintered metal, however, welding would be the way to go.

Here's a pic of a worn sintered link (LH) with a welded/filed repair (RH)

Old August 13, 2012, 05:31 AM   #5
psyfly

Thanks for the help. I love this forum; illustrated answer, no less. Thank you PetahW, I'll let you know how it comes out.

Best,

W
Old October 1, 2012, 12:48 AM   #6
psyfly

Update:

Ordered new link from Numrich and installed same.

No joy.

Local gunsmith with great reputation says he can look at it in, maybe 180 days.

Took it to other local gunsmith with good reputation who kept it for a couple of weeks, "adjusted" something, charged me a (small) bench fee, but couldn't fix it. I took it home and found that (despite my joking warning not to have any parts left over) found he'd left out something. He was embarrassed when I went back to pick up the missing part and refunded my (small) bench fee.

Anybody have any experience with customer service at Winchester?

Or other suggestions.

Thanks,

Will
Old January 10, 2013, 11:36 AM   #7
psyfly

Update:

Took the carbine to a Winchester-approved smith a couple of hundred miles from here.

They kept it for about 5 weeks, reporting to me that the link (actually, both the original and the 'new' one) was not the problem. They replaced the carrier, replaced the cartridge guides (gunsmith told me the guides appeared to be for .45Colt) and pronounced it cured.

It wasn't.

Took it back to them for a promised free fix. After another 6 weeks, I got it back and it works. Action is very stiff, but operable.

I'm (somewhat) satisfied. I've bought firearms from out of state many times and this is the first time I've been burned. I am convinced, BTW, that the seller did not intend to defraud; almost certainly an honest mistake on his part.

Thanks for the advice and help. Oh, I have an extra lever link if anybody needs one.

Best,

Will