The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 4, 2020, 04:50 PM   #1
USMCFO

AR Pistol Question

So after being totally without anything that resembles an AR since departing the USMC in 1974, I find myself becoming interested in the AR pistols currently being offered by various manufacturers, specifically the Springfield Armory Saint Edge pistol, and have a question for the forum members that are fans of the AR.

Since the brace looks something like a stock, and the barrel length is only 10 inches, can this be purchased as any other pistol, or does it fall into the category of a Short Barrel Rifle and need the ATF Form 4 ?
Old January 4, 2020, 05:01 PM   #2
American Man

It is considered a handgun. No ATF hassle to go through.

Just don't put a 90 degree vertical foregrip on it unless it has an overall length of at least 26 inches. If less than 26 inches you can put the Magpul AFG 45 degree grip on it. I'll try to attach a pic.

Here is the legal foregrip, if you even need it. But putting on the 90 degree vertical foregrip is a no go ... I believe it is considered an AOW.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AR Pistol 45 degree foregrip.jpg (33.2 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by American Man; January 4, 2020 at 05:55 PM.
Old January 4, 2020, 05:51 PM   #3
USMCFO

Thanks for the info. How do you like your AR pistol? Looks like you have the flip up sights, how do you like those?
Old January 4, 2020, 05:59 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
It is considered a handgun.
It is currently considered a handgun. At first it wasn't, then SIG got the BATF to say it was, then the BATF changed their mind and said it wasn't (well it sort of wasn't), now it is again. Maybe it will always be considered a pistol from now on, maybe the BATF will change its mind again.

I've seen enough BATF opinion changes that I have no appetite for playing that particular game since the BATF holds all the cards. If I want an SBR, I'm going to go the NFA route. Plus then I can put a vertical foregrip on it if I want.
Old January 4, 2020, 06:13 PM   #5
American Man

Here is a link to some more info. I added some info above in my post, but this link is probably better:

https://americanmilitarynews.com/201...-short-rifles/

I love my AR pistol. I have a Spikes Tactical 8.1 inch barrel. Even before I had the brace I put it up to my shoulder with just the tube and it fires just fine. The brace is a little more comfortable. Out to 250 yards, it is the same as shooting a 16 inch AR... I didn't set up targets past that but I'm sure it would do fine at 300.

The flip up sights are ok... I prefer the more sturdy standard front sight post for reflexive fire only cause that is what I am used to, but the difference is minimal.

I use the Lower 1/3 Cowitness with my red dot. I find it more comfortable than the Absolute Cowitness.

The model you are looking at getting is a great model. You'll be mad at yourself for taking so long to get one. lol
Old January 4, 2020, 07:11 PM   #6
scorpion_tyr

Warning: they are addictive. I never liked the M-16 when I was in the military, and never intended on having an AR. I happened to come across a good deal on an AR pistol that actually looked good to me and felt great. It’s a 10.5” barrel .300 Blackout and absolutely beautiful to shoot.

Since then I’ve built five more, all pistols with braces on them and I’m in the process of planning my next one.
Old January 4, 2020, 08:20 PM   #7
9x19

Addictive?!

.22LR - 7.5"

9mm - 8"

.22LR - 9"

10mm - 10.5"

FYI: braces aren't just for AR pistols...

.22LR - 10"

9mm - 10"
Old January 4, 2020, 08:31 PM   #8
USMCFO

Thanls American Man for the helpful info. I seem to be reverting to my younger days with regards to taste in firearms. Through most of my career was involved primarily with revolvers and then SA/DA semi-auto pistols.

Last year I went back to a 1911 style with the purchase of a Springfield Armory EMP4 9mm which I like and now started looking at the Saint Edge pistol. Like scorpion_tyr I was never a big fan of the M-16 when I was in the military as I was issued an early one before the forward assist and chrome lining mods; all through my tour in Vietnam found myself repeatedly wishing I had the M-14 that I trained with.
Old January 4, 2020, 08:35 PM   #9
USMCFO

9X19, that is quite a collection you have, which one was your first that got you more interested in them ?
Old January 4, 2020, 09:20 PM   #10
American Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCFO View Post
Thanls American Man for the helpful info. I seem to be reverting to my younger days with regards to taste in firearms. Through most of my career was involved primarily with revolvers and then SA/DA semi-auto pistols.

Last year I went back to a 1911 style with the purchase of a Springfield Armory EMP4 9mm which I like and now started looking at the Saint Edge pistol. Like scorpion_tyr I was never a big fan of the M-16 when I was in the military as I was issued an early one before the forward assist and chrome lining mods; all through my tour in Vietnam found myself repeatedly wishing I had the M-14 that I trained with.
One of my platoon sergeants early on was a Vietnam Veteran and he told us about how many friendlies had jammed M16s next to them when their bodies were recovered. That always stuck with me... and I have even seen it mentioned in documentaries. For most of my time in 88-08, army, if you kept the top of your magazines from getting banged up, smashed and bent, they were very reliable.

I hope you enjoy it. It is a great SD option as well... if you live in the deep woods that is. lol I keep a set of electronic ear muffs next to mine.
Old January 5, 2020, 01:06 AM   #11
9x19

USMC,

Thanks. My short AR journey actually started with registered SBRs (I have four). The pistols were next. I enjoy them all but for hunting I use an SBR as I still shoot a scoped gun better with a regular stock vs the brace.
Old January 5, 2020, 01:23 AM   #12
JERRYS.

I've since added a blade brace and changed out the trigger guard to one more open/rounded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSA Pistol.jpg (49.1 KB, 46 views)
Old January 14, 2020, 10:14 PM   #13
Ibmikey

I have built pistols in 5.56, 300 BO and 9 mm all are fun shooters, I stamped each lower receiver inside “PISTOL” not that it is required but makes me feel a little better.
Old January 14, 2020, 11:27 PM   #14
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Warning: they are addictive.
Then there's the real addiction ~ Building them!
So many calibers, so many options!!!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 14, 2020, 11:36 PM   #15
JERRYS.

speaking of which.... what's anyone's suggestion for a low cost laser?
Old January 16, 2020, 09:03 AM   #16
zeke

Quote:
It is currently considered a handgun. At first it wasn't, then SIG got the BATF to say it was, then the BATF changed their mind and said it wasn't (well it sort of wasn't), now it is again. Maybe it will always be considered a pistol from now on, maybe the BATF will change its mind again.
Agree this can change instantly, and something that needs consideration. With advancing age, am trying to accommodate decreasing skill with a pistol. The short ar style in pistol calibers with braces have appeal, reliability, economy and are easy to shoot accurately. Since they are pistols, they meet they can be legally concealed where the law allows. And they come in 45 acp.

Also have registered sbr in 223 with more power and range, but loud, longer and more expensive to practice with than pistol caliber.

If the interpretation changes, will go to effort to put a "stock" on the pistol and stamp it.

Last edited by zeke; January 16, 2020 at 10:54 AM.
Old January 16, 2020, 10:24 AM   #17
gnystrom

Nice info guys. I learned a lot by reading all your posts. That may be the ultimate home defense gun.