The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 4, 2020, 05:41 PM   #76
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill460 View Post
It could happen like it did in the 70's when Harlon Carter and his group organized a takeover of the NRA. The NRA at the time was being infiltrated by anti gunners. They were all thrown out, and Harlon Carter took the NRA back to it's conservative grass roots. We need that again.
can't happen anymore. WLP fixed it so the by-laws protect the top from the will of the members.
Old January 4, 2020, 06:12 PM   #77
zxcvbob

Quote:
It could happen like it did in the 70's when Harlon Carter and his group organized a takeover of the NRA. The NRA at the time was being infiltrated by anti gunners. They were all thrown out, and Harlon Carter took the NRA back to it's conservative grass roots. We need that again.
Nope. Withholding donations and membership dues is the only tool we have left.
Old January 5, 2020, 06:35 AM   #78
polska

I have been a member for over 40 years and will continue to support it. Do they have problems? Yes.
I have also been a Catholic all my life and we're infested with pedophile priest. I have also been to the Vatican and have seen the endless amount of priceless art works they have, but are constantly begging me for money.
I am also a citizen of the USA and see on a daily basis corruption in all phases of my government , from town, state to federal. My government doesn't even ask for donations ,they just take it.
My point is I am not turning my back and forsaking my God,or I am not overthrowing my government because of human weakness we have to support and work together to clean house and make things better. So I will continue to support the NRA and do what I can to fix any problems in the organization as it's our best hope to defend the 2nd. Turning your back does no good except to strengthen the opposition.
Old January 5, 2020, 07:00 AM   #79
bill460

Quote:
Originally Posted by polska View Post
I have been a member for over 40 years and will continue to support it. Do they have problems? Yes.
I have also been a Catholic all my life and we're infested with pedophile priest. I have also been to the Vatican and have seen the endless amount of priceless art works they have, but are constantly begging me for money.
I am also a citizen of the USA and see on a daily basis corruption in all phases of my government , from town, state to federal. My government doesn't even ask for donations ,they just take it.
My point is I am not turning my back and forsaking my God,or I am not overthrowing my government because of human weakness we have to support and work together to clean house and make things better. So I will continue to support the NRA and do what I can to fix any problems in the organization as it's our best hope to defend the 2nd. Turning your back does no good except to strengthen the opposition.
THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old January 5, 2020, 08:11 AM   #80
thallub

In 1960 i joined the NRA as a life member. Never in my wildest dreams did i think the NRA membership would be neutered and rendered powerless to resist the crooked machinations of a charlatan like Wayne La Pierre.

Continue to donate your money to the NRA. Wayne needs the money: Thanks to his stupid lawsuits, lawyers are costing the NRA $90,000 per day.
Old January 5, 2020, 08:24 AM   #81
bill460

Quote:
Originally Posted by thallub View Post
Thanks to his stupid lawsuits, lawyers are costing the NRA $90,000 per day.
I don't believe that for a minute. Even at $500.00 @ hour, that's 180 billable hours A DAY. That would require a team of 22 lawyers, all working 8 hours a day, 7 days a week on nothing but NRA based lawsuits. No way.

Not even Wal-Mart, the most sued corporation in existence, requires that.
Old January 5, 2020, 10:25 AM   #82
thallub

i don't care what you believe.

At the time Oliver North and Richard Childress went forward with their accusations against Wayne La Pierre in May, 2018; the NRA had paid $24 million to the Brewer law firm over a period of 13 months.

Quote:
The statement lays out a list of allegations regarding Brewer’s legal work and his treatment of NRA staff as questions surfaced about his law firm’s billings, which totalled $24 million over a 13-month period. In the first quarter of 2019, Brewer’s firm charged over $97,000 per day, according to internal NRA documents posted anonymously online.
https://www.thetrace.org/2019/07/wil...wyer-finances/
Old January 5, 2020, 10:45 AM   #83
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by thallub View Post
i don't care what you believe.

At the time Oliver North and Richard Childress went forward with their accusations against Wayne La Pierre in May, 2018; the NRA had paid $24 million to the Brewer law firm over a period of 13 months.

https://www.thetrace.org/2019/07/wil...wyer-finances/
Facts are facts and math is math. Good illustration.
It shows how poorly NRA is managed. Grosdly overpaying for legal services.
Old January 5, 2020, 12:02 PM   #84
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill460
I don't believe that for a minute. Even at $500.00 @ hour, that's 180 billable hours A DAY.
Brewer bills his time at something like $1,500 or $2,500 per hour. And you can be sure he's not working the NRA cases alone -- I'm sure there's a team of lesser partners, associate lawyers, paralegals, and clerical staff all being billed at top dollar for their respective positions.
Jeepaholic
Old January 5, 2020, 12:43 PM   #85
Bartholomew Roberts

I’m not going to turn my back on the NRA; but I’m not giving any more money to it until I see it is going to be spent responsibly. At the rate Brewer is billing, he’d better be delivering first-rate miracles regularly.

I don’t think Ackerman-McQueen is any better. If anything, it is probably the incubator that Brewer sprang from.

Greater transparency and listening to members are two big requirements going forward.
Old January 8, 2020, 08:21 AM   #86
Andy Blozinski

Supporting a corrupt and abusive organization because you feel you must for no other alternatives is one of the same logics used to justify staying with an abusive spouse.
Old January 8, 2020, 08:27 AM   #87
bill460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Blozinski View Post
Supporting a corrupt and abusive organization because you feel you must for no other alternatives is one of the same logics used to justify staying with an abusive spouse.
That's nonsense. You cannot even compare the 2. You can't draw parallel lines between a marriage / sexual relationship gone wrong for God only knows how many reasons. And a political pro gun organization, with one high ranking member that needs to go. Stop reaching.
Old January 8, 2020, 12:25 PM   #88
reynolds357

Quote:
That's nonsense. You cannot even compare the 2. You can't draw parallel lines between a marriage / sexual relationship gone wrong for God only knows how many reasons. And a political pro gun organization, with one high ranking member that needs to go. Stop reaching.
Its a valid analogy. A woman will stay with a terrible spouse because she sees him as the only means to provide for her needs. Many sre sticking with the corrupt NRA because they see the NRA as the only organization that can fulfill their needs.
Old January 8, 2020, 12:52 PM   #89
bill460

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
A woman will stay with a terrible spouse because she sees him as the only means to provide for her needs.
That's not true. Many women stay in spite of being able to leave. They have money. They have family members who offer help. They have shelters for battered women that offer help. The fact is many can leave, but don't. And then there are those who do, only to either return, or else end up in the same type of relationship with someone else. Because they're drawn to the wrong people. Like men who marry strippers.

And many of those who are in these troubled relationships, were already in financial difficulty. Staying with their, "terrible spouse" only exacerbates the whole mess. Most are simply to weak to leave. None of this as anything to do with the NRA. Trying to compare a gun owner sticking with a well proven pro gun organization, that's been a smashing success for 129 YEARS, to an abusive husband who was never worth a damn in the first place, is a totally stupid analogy.
Old January 8, 2020, 04:04 PM   #90
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
IMHO, it's more than one high-ranking member who needs to go at the NRA. LaPierre couldn't have pulled the stunts he has pulled and enshrined himself so firmly behind an impenetrable firewall of by-laws and bureaucracy without the cooperation and connivance of multiple members of the board of directors.
Jeepaholic
Old January 8, 2020, 05:56 PM   #91
Mainah

Quote:
IMHO, it's more than one high-ranking member who needs to go at the NRA. LaPierre couldn't have pulled the stunts he has pulled and enshrined himself so firmly behind an impenetrable firewall of by-laws and bureaucracy without the cooperation and connivance of multiple members of the board of directors.
I agree. A healthy organization would have dealt with Wayne long ago, and quietly. The fact that this is news speaks to much bigger problems.
Old January 8, 2020, 07:43 PM   #92
reynolds357

Quote:
That's not true. Many women stay in spite of being able to leave. They have money. They have family members who offer help. They have shelters for battered women that offer help. The fact is many can leave, but don't. And then there are those who do, only to either return, or else end up in the same type of relationship with someone else. Because they're drawn to the wrong people. Like men who marry strippers.

And many of those who are in these troubled relationships, were already in financial difficulty. Staying with their, "terrible spouse" only exacerbates the whole mess. Most are simply to weak to leave. None of this as anything to do with the NRA. Trying to compare a gun owner sticking with a well proven pro gun organization, that's been a smashing success for 129 YEARS, to an abusive husband who was never worth a damn in the first place, is a totally stupid analogy.
I retired from L.E. and had a lot of sociology and psychology in College. I dealt with domestic abuse daily. They perceive the man as their only support. They have developed codependent relationship. Their perception, not reality, is the problem.
Old January 30, 2020, 12:22 AM   #93
El Paso Joe

Well. This is a thread I needed to read. I started getting worried when Oliver North left - Or was thrown out depending on one's point of view. And soon after the ILA changed directors. Something rotten in Denmark is I think the phrase. Does anyone else remember who Harlon Carter and how he rose to lead the NRA? I think the moral and political compass has been lost...