The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 26, 2019, 11:16 PM   #26
Kevin Rohrer

Suggestions:

*BFG9000 (name the game w/o peaking)
*Phaser
*Any hand-held laser in the gigawatt range
*gom jabbar (name the book w/o peaking)

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old December 27, 2019, 02:02 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

I don't know the BFG9000 (or many video games)

I do know that the Gom Jabbar (high handed enemy) was a poisoned needle used by the Bene Gesserit in Frank Herbert's "Dune", and I've known it since I read the book back in the 70s.

there was no peeking involved.

What will the Space Force individual weapons be? In the far future, who can say? In the near future, until we actually get people living in space, the weapons will be appropriate standard issue from the "parent" service (US Air Force).

Once we get living in space ships and habitats, the smart move would be something like a taser, (wireless charged dart??) that could incapacitate a human while posing little or no risk of puncturing the habitat.

while there might be an actual gun or two at each facility or onboard each ship, (and under lock & key control of the facility Admin) you won't see crew wearing pistols or armed to "repel boarders" with conventional firearms. Aside from the risk of letting the air out of your own ship, and the drawback of recoil in microgravity, its simply a cost/benefit analysis. Literally (at this time and for the forseeable future) the cost of lifting the mass of a conventional firearm out of Earth's gravity well far "outweighs" the benefits.

Now, when we get to exploring other planets, there will be SOME firearms involved, but very few, until it is known there is a threat, beyond the one we bring with us. I would fully expect that there will be a gun (or two) that go to Mars when people do, "just in case". But there won't be more than that, unless/until there is some known threat.

If we carry our Earthly political squabbles beyond Earth, then its possible each camp will arm as there is a potential enemy. But there won't be Starship Troopers, unless there are "bugs" to fight.
Old December 27, 2019, 02:33 PM   #28
TBM900

The answer is obvious...

"Run runner!"

Ready for clean up
Old December 27, 2019, 02:44 PM   #29
rickyrick

I can’t see where a terrestrial style firearm would even be convenient on a space ship or space station. Besides the issues of a projectile puncturing important stuff, you’d also have the smoke particles, lubricant mist and metal shavings now in your life support system... not to mention the fluids and debris from your enemy. I don’t see any kind of projectile being used in confined spaces. Probably will still use projectiles in conflicts involving crafts engaging each other.
My best guess would be weapons designed to disrupt electrical circuits.
Old December 27, 2019, 04:26 PM   #30
Mainah

Maybe scuba knives
Old December 27, 2019, 05:01 PM   #31
labnoti

It has little to do with the Space Force, but since the question is about small arms in space, there are at least two handguns on the ISS, of Russian origin but available to all occupants, and most if not all US space missions have been accompanied by weapons typically selected for their multipurpose utility rather than their effectiveness in a traditional battlefield.

For extended missions like Mars expeditions which can be expected to extend well beyond a year, I am sure there will be firearms included -- not for little green men, but to maintain law and order just as would be done on a naval vessel. I don't see many reasons why they wouldn't be conventional.

The Space Force and its Air Force predecessor have more to do with non-human assets in space than they do with astronauts or manned missions. There is nothing farcical about the US Air Force's mission in space that has been ongoing since the close of WW2.
Old December 27, 2019, 05:24 PM   #32
jmr40

Quote:
Keyboards
We have a winner

Winston Churchill
Old December 27, 2019, 06:58 PM   #33
mehavey

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cou7OtR3JKI
Old December 28, 2019, 01:23 AM   #34
ballardw

Updated version of the Gyrojet.

In space recoil can make you scream!
Old December 28, 2019, 02:57 AM   #35
armoredman

M41A Pulse Rifle, standard 10mm caseless with over and under 30mm grenade launcher.
Old December 28, 2019, 06:08 PM   #36
davidsog

Pocket protector, calculator, and a laptop.

Maybe some take out for lunch?
Old December 28, 2019, 08:39 PM   #37
chadio

I believe that there will be weapons submitted by Beretta and SIG Sauer, and the contract will go to the cheapest bid |c:
Old December 31, 2019, 01:14 AM   #38
ballardw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
Suggestions:

*BFG9000 (name the game w/o peaking)
*Phaser
*Any hand-held laser in the gigawatt range
*gom jabbar (name the book w/o peaking)
Gom jabbar from Dune , and others by Frank Herbert and son.

And the shields that stopped fast moving objects, i.e. bullets and such, but interacted poorly with lasers (as in very loud kaboom). And let's not forget the "family atomics" waiting in the wings!
Old December 31, 2019, 06:50 PM   #39
SamNavy

The bigger picture...

The concept of the Space Force has been around for decades now. Donald Trump did not create it or envision it, and the country has been too busy fighting wars over the last 40 years to give it the funding it needs, otherwise it would have happened a long time ago. US Space Command has been filling a partial role but the creation of the Space Force is an order-of-magnitude greater scope.

The US gov't has been falling behind in space for well over 20 years. The loss of the Space Shuttle capability was only one factor in losing our organic ability to put men into space. The prediction has always been that private/commercial solutions would solve this problem, and they're just now coming online and will complement our military capabilities.

The Space Force is now equal to the Air Force within the Department of the Air Force in the same scheme as the Marine Corps is equal to the Navy within the Department of the Navy. It's a big deal. You perform a disservice to the military in general by not recognizing that in time, the Space Force will be the most critical of all our military services.

When the President announced the creation of the Space Force last year, the leadership bulk of every single one of our near-peer competitors collectively crapped themselves... and here's why...

The future of manned air/space warfare is dead. The F-35 will almost certainly be the last manned fighter aircraft produced by the US. Everything to come online after it will be unmanned. At the speeds that near-future weapons will operate, a human will be too slow and rendered obsolete. We are on the cusp of fully-autonomous combat aircraft right now... and if that doesn't scare you, go binge-watch all the Terminator movies.

The future of space combat in whatever form it arrives will take place at velocities measured in miles per second or the speed of light. Hypersonics, directed energy, and cyber-warfare are the battlegrounds of the next 50+ years. Humans are just too slow when the shooting starts and the country that build the fastest computers will likely win.

So, you wanna know what the "individual weapon" of the Space Force is... it's the keyboard.
Old December 31, 2019, 10:34 PM   #40
4V50 Gary
Staff

Hopefully only Nerf guns. Penetrating the hull of your ship in space is not in the best interest of the ship or crew.

Give them a dictionary of international insults and gestures and then as it develops, a Galactic Dictionary of insults and gestures.
Old January 1, 2020, 01:46 AM   #41
TXAZ

Space Force = satellite defense and offense missions.
None of the weapons proffered above are suitable for either mission.
Handheld weapons won’t cut the needs.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 1, 2020, 08:38 AM   #42
USNRet93

Quote:
The F-35 will almost certainly be the last manned fighter aircraft produced by the US.
Disagree. 6th gen fighters are already in development and they are manned.
ALSO, As long as there is a need for CAS, there will be a need for manned aircraft. NO unmanned aircraft will have the situational awareness of a pilot in the aircraft, real time.

PLUS, the days of swirling air battles 'might' be over but the era of large standoff airbattles isn't quite here either. There's a REASON most the F35s still has a gun and Sidewinder-type, short range missiles.

I guess not a 'fighter', regardless of how the USAF designates their aircraft.
https://www.militaryfactory.com/airc...-2020-2029.asp

Will unmanned aircraft become a reality? Probably but not to replace the F35 anytime soon. Nor transports, helos, CAS(mentioned)...or self driving cars...
either.

I suspect a unmanned commercial aircraft will be a reality way before any military ones.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 1, 2020, 12:18 PM   #43
rickyrick

I for one, will not support any fully automated weapon system. The decision to take lethal action must be made by a human mind. This is a moral/ethical issue for me.
Old January 1, 2020, 12:32 PM   #44
pete2

A light saber and a phaser, what else would they have............... I can't give Trump an A on this.
Old January 1, 2020, 03:57 PM   #45
pwc

In reality they will use whatever the AF uses. We are a long way from individual particle beam weapons terresterially or in space. Primary focus will probably be on satellite self-defense by hardening or ground based or aircraft launched intercept of threats. Physics pretty much rules out conventional munitions in zero G environment.
Old January 2, 2020, 12:30 AM   #46
44 AMP
Staff

Considering the OP was asking about individual weapons, weapon systems control for use against ships, missiles, satellites, ect., are not on point any more than today's AA , anti-tank, and other systems for targets above the level of individual firearms.

Earth bound components of the Space Force (security, etc.) will for now anyway, use what the Air Force uses. People in space would be armed, only if there was a possibility of individual combat against other people. I'm sure there will be some weapons available, but people who aren't "security forces" won't be floating about armed as part of normal duty.

I believe that those performing the duties of police will be armed, but with something other than conventional firearms.
Old January 2, 2020, 05:33 PM   #47
jpx2rk

Since most space vehicles have weight limitations, and thus no or little armor, a frag grenade would probably destroy/damage just about anything up there. Might cost a fortune to get one up there, or they could do some space walks to retro-fit all the satellites with grenade launchers.

But would the recoil do???
Old January 3, 2020, 08:40 AM   #48
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick View Post
I for one, will not support any fully automated weapon system. The decision to take lethal action must be made by a human mind. This is a moral/ethical issue for me.
10-4..the biggest 'disadvantage' to ICBMs, or missiles/land attack weapons, like Tomahawk, regardless of land, sea or air launched, they cannot be recalled. Manned bombers, can. BUT, 'unmanned', these days, means no person inside. They are still controlled by somebody on the ground(or on a ship)with a bank of TV screens and a ton of sensors, flying these things..Not like a self driving Uber.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...701A&FORM=VIRE

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 4, 2020, 08:15 AM   #49
TxFlyFish

I would imagine a ballistic knife would fly quite a ways
Old January 4, 2020, 01:38 PM   #50
Tactical Jackalope

This is silly. Obviously the HK G11 and VP70.