The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 21, 2019, 12:11 AM   #1
dvdcrr

Help me with new AR build ideas...

I've got a billet upper receiver inbound and was thinking about doing a 18" ARP 6.8 build or maybe a 6.8 Wilson Combat barrel.
But I am open to ideas for caliber, barrel length, optics, basically anything you think would be cool to build.
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence when we are able to attack we must seem unable....when using our forces we must appear inactive. When we are near we must make the enemy believe we are far away."Sun Tzu The Art of War.
Old December 21, 2019, 01:30 AM   #2
50 shooter

Awhile back I had the same thing going through my mind about what to build. Was talking to a friend and he pointed me in the direction of the 7mm Valkyrie.

It's been around for a few years now, I've had mine for a little over a year now. I've taken it out to the range a few times, need to take it out more.

You can check them out at www.7mmvalkyrie.com for more info. There's also a bigger discussion board through one of their suppliers. Follow the links on their site to Big Dawg Weapons Systems.

Mine started out with a BCA side charging upper, bought the 24" 7mm Valkyrie heavy barrel and bolt, spikes lower with a magpul PRS stock and topped it off with a Vortex scope.

Let me see if I can find a pic of it to upload.
No time for rearranging.
Old December 21, 2019, 02:20 AM   #3
ed308

7mm Valkyrie is a great wildcat cartridge. And with the new 6mm brass that's become available, much easier to form the brass. If you want a similar 6.8/.277 caliber, then the 270MSR (improved 270AR) is available via AR15 Performance. Only negative, it's a wildcat.

But a 6.8 ARP barrel makes a great hunting AR. I prefer a 16" barrel for the balance and less weight. I currently have ARP barrels in .223 Wylde, 6.8, 270AR, 6.5G, and 6.5 CM. All have grouped around .5 MOA at 100 yards. You can't go wrong with ARP barrel.