The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 18, 2019, 10:25 PM   #1
ms6852

My new built for long range!

Finally got around to building a long range rifle for 300 yards and farther. The action is factory ruger, I am considering buying a Kidd trigger system but in the meantime I'm going to stone and polish the parts and see if this will help tighten the groups more. The Stock is a Boyds stock with a 20" Kidd barrel, and the scope is a Bushnell Forge 3-18X50 and the glass is phenomenal. This scope has 84 moa of internal elevation adjustment and has a zero stop. Its a 30mm tube and is sitting atop a 20 moa base. Guys I really recommend this scope for target shooting as it has the sharpest and clearest glass I have looked through. They normally are priced at $800 to $1000 but are on sale at 50% off and I have just ordered my second scope for my AR15 RRA.

When I zeroed a cold front coming ing with winds at 17 mph. I was using cheap Winchester M-22 ammo that my sister had gifted me. My rifle shot this ammo well but did not care for it much. I had to many failures to feed and fire, so I would not recommend this ammo for a semi auto firearm. I shot it at 25 meters and 50 meters and they are 10 shot groups, will be taking out to 100 and 200 yards later. Here are the pictures:
Old December 18, 2019, 11:27 PM   #2
scorpion_tyr

Man that’s a good looking rifle! I really like that stock!
Old December 19, 2019, 02:29 AM   #3
ms6852

Thanks, it was a long time in the making, had bought the barrel a few years ago and than life took over for a while.
Old December 20, 2019, 04:52 PM   #4
mxsailor803

Nice build. My light weight squirrel 10/22 took me almost 5 years to build. Life happens like that sometimes. But it’s so gratifying once it’s built.
Old December 21, 2019, 09:31 AM   #5
ms6852

@mxsailor803, yes life can be funny and take different turns. I decided to buy a BX trigger for the time being instead of doing the trigger work myself. Just thought I would try it since grabagun has them on sale for $50. There triggers are suppose to break between 2.75 and 3 pounds. I know its a polymer housing but what the heck, this will keep me from rushing my trigger job. Just have to many honey do's on the list.
Old December 21, 2019, 10:22 AM   #6
Rimfire5

I swear by my Kidd trigger that I have been shooting since Tony Kidd started making them. Back then he would make the trigger pull to your order. I chose 1.5 lbs and have loved it from the moment I got it.

I had two Volquartsen trigger groups that I bought before Tony Kidd's became available. They are good by the Kidd is much better.

Good luck with your new rig.
I suggest you try several brands of match ammo.
Wolf and SK vary from lot to lot. You have to find a good lot to get good results.
It is very hard to shoot under 1 inch at 100 yards with them consistently.

From testing 58 types of ammo with 17 rifles over the years (more than 50,000 rounds (10,000 groups measured), it is pretty clear that the higher quality match ammos are worth the money if you are a stickler for accuracy.
My indication of good ammo are those that shoot on average under 0.4 inches at 50 yards. All of them are match ammos. All the ammos that have muzzle velocities over 1,200 fps don't measure up. They might shoot one good group, but those are anomalies. The long term 5-round group averages tell the tale.

The really good ammos shows its value when you shoot at 100 yards and further.
The high quality expensive ammo shoots from 0.1 to 0.3 better at 100 yards compared to the cheaper match ammos.
Tennex seems to like tight chambers. I have only one rifle that really shoots Tennex better than anything else. Eley measures their lots using Anschutz barrels and they are known for their tight chambers.

Lapua match ammo seems to shoot well in the majority of my rifles.
I buy Center-X by the case and shoot Center-X for general work & Midas Plus when I want a slight improvement.
I shoot X-Act when I want bragging rights out at 100 yards.
X-Act averages under 0.7 inches at 100 yards in my good target rifles.
At over $25 a box, I don't shoot X-Act very much. I don't have that big an ego.

Last edited by Rimfire5; December 21, 2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old December 21, 2019, 10:36 AM   #7
Rimfire5

Looking at your results, it looks like you might have had some gusts in those 17 mph winds.
You didn't say if you were using wind flags.

Reading the wind is critical when you shoot at 100 yards or longer because the .22LR is going so slow that a 5 mph wind can move a bullet up to 1/2 inch.
Also, at temperatures around 40 to 45 degrees, you will probably begin to see a drop (maybe one out of 5) from the primer and or powder not igniting consistently. Keep your ammo in an inner pocket before you load it in a magazine.
Old December 22, 2019, 08:48 AM   #8
ms6852

@Rimfire5 I was not using wind flags. As a matter of fact I was just shooting to zero the rifle as I had just mounted the scope to it and was shooting pretty fast about every 4 to 5 seconds. As stated the ammo was cheap but I've got some sk, norma lapua, and a couple of different boxes of the eley ammo that I am going to use on this rifle after the holidays. My plan is to get the Kidd trigger. Heck their shop is about 25 miles from my house. Funny thing is that I don't shoot well with a very light trigger. I like to keep mind at about 2.5 to 3 pounds. I'm not a competition shooter I just love to shoot long range with the 22's just to challenge myself. I plan to shoot this rifle against my 52C and my 513T at 50 and 100 yards to see how it compares to them.