The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 13, 2019, 04:33 AM   #1
ronl

In the trenches

The Va 2A sanctuary movement is one of the most interesting and successful to pop up in a while. For the most part it has been a totally grassroots movement,and the turnout at meetings has overflowed the buildings in which they were held. In about 5 weeks the number of localities includes 75 counties, 10 cities, and9 towns. More will be coming on board next week. Va only has 95 counties total.
Old December 13, 2019, 08:09 AM   #2
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronl View Post
The Va 2A sanctuary movement is one of the most interesting and successful to pop up in a while. For the most part it has been a totally grassroots movement,and the turnout at meetings has overflowed the buildings in which they were held. In about 5 weeks the number of localities includes 75 counties, 10 cities, and9 towns. More will be coming on board next week. Va only has 95 counties total.
Not doubting what you said by google-foo says 33 counties as of Tuesday.
Quote:
As of Tuesday, 33 of Virginia’s counties and 2 towns have voted to declare themselves Second Amendment sanctuaries after a series of gun control bills were proposed in the Virginia General Assembly.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 13, 2019, 08:23 AM   #3
MC 1911

You should doubt Google. Right now there are 76 counties,9 cities and 10 towns that have declared as 2a sanctuarys. VCDL is a good reference.
Old December 13, 2019, 10:29 AM   #4
ronl

Thanks for the update. Info from the media is spotty, at best, and is often rather inaccurate. In Louisa one tv report said 500 people. There were 647 people inside that had signed up in addition to a large crowd outside who were unable to get inside, certainly more than 700. This movement should be front page news as the time frame in which this has happened is only a little over a month now, and over 75% of the counties are represented, with more certainly to come. This situation represents clearly the divide between the rural areas and those of the Richmond/ nova who are in control. My concern is the mood of the people, as it is rather surly. One delegate from the Richmond area has already broached the subject of calling out the NG to enforce the new laws. If such a thing happens, people will die. How far the government will ultimately take this remains to be seen, but things around here could get dicey very quickly.
Old December 13, 2019, 10:47 AM   #5
ronl

I also should add that Northam has said he will modify the bill to grandfather existing firearms, providing they be registered. He is trying to appear as though he is compromising, when that was the intention all along, something I said would happen from the start. The people are having none of that. In addition, in my county the militia is being called out, and I have heard of several counties locally doing this. The people are tired of the junk. 244 years since the shot heard round the world, and here we are again.'
Old December 13, 2019, 11:42 AM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronl
In addition, in my county the militia is being called out, and I have heard of several counties locally doing this.
Does Virginia have a militia or militias, officially? What is their legal status, and who is calling them out?

In my state, there is (technically) a militia, but it functions under the umbrella of the National Guard. It's like the junior varsity NG -- if the NG is federalized and deployed to far away locations, the militia will be here to step up and perform [some of] the essential NG functions in case of emergency or natural disaster. The militia in my state cannot be called out (up?) by anyone other than the governor, or the President if they are federalized..
Jeepaholic

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; December 13, 2019 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Corrected call-up authority
Old December 13, 2019, 06:17 PM   #7
lokidansk

I went to Chesterfields, I heard 3000 there. There were many people there.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body......... but rather to skid in sideways with a cigar in one hand & a Scotch in the other......... body thoroughly used up & totally worn out.........screaming 'woo hoo -- what a ride !!'
Old December 13, 2019, 07:14 PM   #8
ronl

Here in va the militia is defined as the body of the people. There are three types of militia enumerated in va, the NG, the state militia, and the disorganized militia. It is mandated by law that the militia is to be well trained. Guess the disorganized militia is going to be getting a little more organized, that is if I am reading my fellow Virginians correctly. Any call for bringing in the NG to enforce such laws is absurd and irresponsible. It will only make a touchy situation even worse. Our constitution grants all power to the people and defines those in state government as servants of the people. Guess Northam is choosing to represent only he northern, Richmond and Charlottesville people. He is simply ignoring the other 90% of the state. The petition to recall Northam is gathering steam.
Old December 13, 2019, 07:23 PM   #9
ronl

It is interesting that those proposing the new laws will admit the new laws would have had zero effect on the two mass shootings that occurred within the Commonwealth. I am working with delegates I know to propose something that may well help. My proposal is to place more mental health professionals within schools, teach the teachers what to look for, and get these troubled children the help they need. This gets to the heart of the problem, and it doesn't take away the rights of law abiding citizens.
Old December 13, 2019, 11:36 PM   #10
osbornk

It is mostly a grassroots thing and here are a couple that are working to protect us:

https://keepva2a.com/

https://vcdl.org/
Old December 14, 2019, 12:05 AM   #11
5whiskey

Quote:
My concern is the mood of the people, as it is rather surly. One delegate from the Richmond area has already broached the subject of calling out the NG to enforce the new laws. If such a thing happens, people will die. How far the government will ultimately take this remains to be seen, but things around here could get dicey very quickly.
So VA officials may be disappointed to realize that the overwhelming vast majority of National Guard soldiers who are combat arms would not be very sympathetic to a gun confiscation cause. Yes I get following orders, but it would be quite easy to argue that unconstitutionally confiscating firearms is not a lawful order. Invoking the NG is not the threat that it’s being made out to be. I could see some units forming a defensive line protecting private citizens. No that is the last thing they want to do and they know it.

What VA is really doing now is ensuring that the state turns from blueish purple back to a bright red. Don’t ever forget that the political pendulum swings rather reliably and quickly when one side tries to push too hard/far.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old December 14, 2019, 07:23 AM   #12
std7mag

Like every other time, and issue, this will have been forgotten by next election time.

I've been working hard at changing our county commissioners and school administration, to no avail.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old December 14, 2019, 08:18 AM   #13
USNRet93

Quote:
Our constitution grants all power to the people and defines those in state government as servants of the people. Guess Northam is choosing to represent only he northern, Richmond and Charlottesville people. He is simply ignoring the other 90% of the state.
Sorry, the only true 'poll' is the one at the ballot box. 'Majority rules' and altho I appreciate what you are saying, once again, too little, too late n Virginia, IMHO.
Quote:
Yes I get following orders, but it would be quite easy to argue that unconstitutionally confiscating firearms is not a lawful order. Invoking the NG is not the threat that it’s being made out to be. I could see some units forming a defensive line protecting private citizens. No that is the last thing they want to do and they know it.
Really doubt any governor is going to call out the NG just to 'enforce a law', particularly when nobody has been charged.

Units becoming mutineers? Really doubt that..IMHO, of course. Calls for civil war really does nothing more than rile up the other side's base.
Quote:
Like every other time, and issue, this will have been forgotten by next election time.
Agree..BUT the 'outrage' must be present in 2020, and actual GOP candidates need to run competitively.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 14, 2019, 08:42 AM   #14
5whiskey

Quote:
Really doubt any governor is going to call out the NG just to 'enforce a law', particularly when nobody has been charged.
I do as well, but the idea has already been floated by Democratic Lawmaker Donald Mceachin. And it is not in response to citizens not being charged, it would be in response to the 75 out of 95 counties in VA that have pledged to be 2nd Amendment Sanctuaries. Good representative said, and I quote....

Quote:
And ultimately, I'm not the governor, but the governor may have to nationalize the National Guard to enforce the law
So no one here is speculating the calls for involving the organized militia. Democratic lawmakers in Virginia have, in fact, made such calls. Now, conversely, I do not for a second believe that would actually happen.

Quote:
Units becoming mutineers? Really doubt that..IMHO, of course. Calls for civil war really does nothing more than rile up the other side's base.
No one is calling for civil war. As to an Infantry Battalion, composed of citizens of Virginia, being called upon to enforce an Assault Weapons Ban (one of the very laws on the table) upon other citizens of Virginia; I don't see that going over well. Especially when over 50% of those infantrymen, tankers, artillerymen, and MPs all privately own the weapons at question themselves. And that's also why this should never happen. The state Commander of the National Guard, appointed by the Governor, would probably be duty bound to notify the governor that calling up the National Guard for that would be a horrible idea. The governor, in turn, would agree if he had half a brain.

Story from a long-standing media outlet to support 75 counties and a lawmaker has indicated calling up the VANG is on the table:
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...ce-gun-control

LASTLY, and most importantly

Quote:
'Majority rules'
Not absolutely, not in a Republic my friend.

Last edited by 5whiskey; December 14, 2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old December 14, 2019, 11:53 AM   #15
TomNJVA

I think the National Guard threat was just a red herring intended to scare and slow the movement. It seems to be having an opposite effect, creating more anger and strengthening the resolve of the resisters. Some exciting months to come!
Old December 14, 2019, 02:45 PM   #16
ronl

I too think the NG mention was to deter participation in the 2A movement, and really holds no water. The mention of it has made people even more determined to resist. There is even some talk of Northam working out the details needed to cut power, phone service, etc., if the NG is called out. I think that one is complete bunk, but the truth will come out. I cannot credit Northam with being overly intelligent, but I do not think he is that ignorant of the resolve of the people.

Last edited by ronl; December 14, 2019 at 10:16 PM.
Old December 15, 2019, 07:54 AM   #17
USNRet93

Quote:
Not absolutely, not in a Republic my friend
Majority elects the law makers, the law makers make the laws. It becomes a law if the majority of the law makers vote for it and is signed into law by the governor, who was ejected by a majority. Or vetoed, then back to the legislature where it would either pass with a ‘super majority’ or fail....

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 15, 2019, 10:29 AM   #18
davidsog

Quote:
VA officials may be disappointed to realize that the overwhelming vast majority of National Guard soldiers who are combat arms would not be very sympathetic to a gun confiscation cause.
Soldiers, including National Guardsmen take an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Soldiers tend to read the Constitution our Founding Fathers wrote and understand the plain language unencumbered by the 3000 plus page document the modern constitution has bloated too in its legal interpretation.

They tend to view that legal interpretation document with a suspicious eye. In the 1990’s the Clinton Administration surveyed SOCOM as to the likelihood an order to confiscate firearms would be followed. At that time the overwhelming response was it would not be and such an order would be viewed as attempting to alter our Constitution unlawfully.

Soldiers have a duty not to obey unlawful orders.
Old December 15, 2019, 11:32 AM   #19
OuTcAsT

It seems the VA general assembly is applying a bit of pressure on their State Police as well.

They are introducing a bill that terminates the employment of any State Officers that might refuse to participate in firearms confiscation.

A link to the bill :https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/leg...RR2YTUrlUpngBU

Somehow I don't think this is going to have the net result they intend.

ETA: Either way, it seems they realize there is going to be dissension within the LE community and, I'm sure, the NG as well. At least the LE officers can now see where the line in the sand is.

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -

Last edited by OuTcAsT; December 15, 2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old December 15, 2019, 03:40 PM   #20
5whiskey

Quote:
Majority elects the law makers, the law makers make the laws. It becomes a law if the majority of the law makers vote for it and is signed into law by the governor, who was ejected by a majority. Or vetoed, then back to the legislature where it would either pass with a ‘super majority’ or fail....
I know how it works

And the simple majority of sheer number of people, typically represented by the House of Representatives whose members are based on state population, is counterbalanced by majority of states in the senate... absent any calculus based on population. It was designed this way by the US constitution for a reason.

But we’re talking about the state of VA. That they obtained a Democratic majority in a mid term election where the Democratic base is exceptionally worked up because a republican president they don’t like much is in office is not grounds for the far left to leap for joy. It is common knowledge that midterm elections quite often do not go well for the party currently in power. As I recall republicans won far more victories in the mid term of 2010, but it wasn’t as reported upon then because the media had a crush on President Obama.

VA hasn’t suddenly turned far left as evidenced by 75 out 95 counties now declaring themselves 2A sanctuaries. Maybe not as conservative as it once was, but certainly not far left enough to tolerate draconian gun laws. Let’s hope those counties remember this lesson and never stay at home on a midterm election again...

Lol like that would ever happen. But it may happen next time.

Last edited by 5whiskey; December 15, 2019 at 03:53 PM.
Old December 15, 2019, 11:45 PM   #21
44 AMP
Staff

Call out the National Guard to enforce gun control laws???

Not only does that fellow not understand the law, but he's also apparently missed attending "Tyranny 101".

Experience tyrants know that one does NOT attempt to suppress local disobedience with local troops!

What do you think will happen if you tell the Guardsmen that now they have to arrest Uncle Joe and Aunt Sarah and maybe Granny and even themselves??

Despite what some people think, our troops are not all unthinking uncaring robots who will blindly carry out any and all orders. And particularly against people they know and are related to, when the legality of those orders is suspect to begin with??

Sure, a few will do what ever they are told. And, a few will flatly refuse. And, beyond that, the administration giving those orders is going to see as much "malicious compliance" as humanly possible.

I'd bet you'd see a lot of "yessir, yessir, three bags full, sir" in response to the order, but "well, sir, seems like when we got there, there was no one there, sir..."
when it comes to carrying them out...

And that's only the tip of the possible iceberg.
Old December 16, 2019, 03:10 AM   #22
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
Despite what some people think, our troops are not all unthinking uncaring robots who will blindly carry out any and all orders. And particularly against people they know and are related to, when the legality of those orders is suspect to begin with??

Sure, a few will do what ever they are told. And, a few will flatly refuse. And, beyond that, the administration giving those orders is going to see as much "malicious compliance" as humanly possible.
All we need do is look at recent history -- hurricane Katrina (I think that was the one) in New Orleans. They didn't bring in the Louisiana National Guard. The people taking away people's guns were California Highway Patrol (Yes, CHiPs), NG from several states, and U.S. marshals.
Jeepaholic
Old December 16, 2019, 08:02 AM   #23
USNRet93

Quote:
That they obtained a Democratic majority in a mid term election where the Democratic base is exceptionally worked up because a republican president they don’t like much is in office is not grounds for the far left to leap for joy.
NOT the point..30 DEM candidates ran un opposed in VA. I'll say again, the only 'poll' that means anything is the one from the ballot box. We'll see in 2020 if 75 out of 95 counties can come together to actually have candidates run..calling out the guy in the big chair is not important, as seen in the 'potential' laws coming down the pike in VA. BUT, again, that guy isn't necessarily a 'friend' to those who advocate gun rights. (RFL, UBC, 21 YO buy, bump stock ban, AR ban)...

BUT, yes, people are unhappy.....

It's not like this is any surprise to anybody or it shouldn't be..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 17, 2019, 01:42 AM   #24
ronl

Here are some interesting numbers to consider. Va has a population of about 8.2 million. The population of the counties defying those in Richmond is about 5 million. Considering that most of the counties are rural, and that the rural population is very well armed,say conservatively, 70%, that puts the number at around around 3.5 million. Of those in the mostly urban areas not aligning themselves with the sanctuary movement there are still a substantial number who still support it. Let us say around 30%, which I think would be close. That would be another 900,000. The threat of calling out the NG has been broached. The Va NG numbers around 7500 people, over half of which are support troops. Let's put the effective number at 3800. State Police has just a little under 2200 officers statewide. Here in the state emotions are, to put it mildly, elevated. The people are in a very foul mood. There is absolutely no appetite whatsoever to accept the registration proposed by the Northam/Bloomberg crowd. Things could go south very quickly. I spoke to a republican delegate this morning for quite some time and I asked him how determined the democrats were about pushing the proposed new laws through. He replied "very". If things were to go south in a very bad way, I do no think the state will have any true power to resist the citizenry. Let us say that 80% of the guard and police attempt to enforce the law. That would be around 4800 give or take. Let us say that 10% of the citizenry resisted. That number would be around 420,000. Those are not very good odds. One thing the delegate and I agreed upon was the inability of those in Richmond to comprehend the resolution of the people. I think they believe we will simply cave in as all good servants should do. Some counties are calling out the militia, one going so far as to appropriate money for it. Talking to the delegates on the other side is like talking to a brick wall. I surely hope cooler heads will come to the forefront in Richmond this Jan., but, I have my doubts.
Old December 17, 2019, 04:51 AM   #25
5whiskey

ronl I don’t for a second doubt your numbers... other than I don’t believe for a second that 80% of the NG would participate in enforcing the law. I digress, for your scenario let us assume it so. What I do believe, however, is that some of the stomach to enforce this weakens.

As it stands, they don’t have to go door to door. All they have to do is charge folks accordingly when they are caught violating the law by LEOs who are willing to enforce the law. I say that will be a relatively slim percentage of law enforcement in much of the state.

Conversely where I do see this potentially getting ugly is if some proactive law enforcement decide to go to the local range and enforce the law there as folks come to shoot their now prohibited firearms.