The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 8, 2019, 12:41 AM   #1
old fart

recoil pad deteriorated

I have a maverick 88, it has been a very good gun. however i noticed today that the recoil pad has deteriorated and the rubber is rubbing off on it. I was wondering what is the cheapest fix for this? Is a new pad or another stock?, the reason I ask about another stock is i called locally and they want $20-$50 for different pads, so i will be buying online. I wished it had a shorter stock as I have short arms, with the pad off its almost perfect but i need something back there. I am on a very tight budget and fixed income and can't afford a lot right now with Christmas coming. thanks for any help.
Old November 8, 2019, 03:14 AM   #2
J.G. Terry

Remington 700 and Model 7 recoil pads. I had two recoil pads start to deteriorate. The pads became sticky. There were sighs of collapse. Called Remington and new pads were sent to replace the rotted ones. The old pads were defective and replaced at no charge. I'd give Mossberg a call before spending money. If you don't ask the answer as always "no".
Old November 8, 2019, 06:09 AM   #3
Blindstitch

Call Mossberg. In the past they have gave me parts no questions asked besides serial to make sure it was the right part.
Old November 8, 2019, 04:39 PM   #4
old fart

I got a reply from Mossberg, got an email from them, they had been trying to call me but I wasn't home. they are sending me a new pad. told me to clean the old pad with rubbing alcohol and see if that helps, also if it does to wipe the pad down lightly with alcohol every time i clean to make sure no oil is on the pad. I cleaned the old pad with alcohol and it did help, it's still bad and will need replacing but it is usable for a little while longer. thanks
Old November 8, 2019, 04:44 PM   #5
jmr40

Not an uncommon problem with some of the modern hi-tech pads that greatly reduce recoil. I have one on an 870 doing the same thing. This seems to be more of a problem with the early recoil pads. The ones on more recent guns seem to be holding up better.

Winston Churchill
Old November 8, 2019, 04:55 PM   #6
Doyle

The Remington pad problems seem to all be related to Limbsaver's bad production. They have since changed the rubber formulation.
Old November 9, 2019, 01:57 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...another stock..." That would be an "I want one." thing. Another pad is an "I need one" thing.
"...make sure no oil is on the pad..." That applies to anything rubber and includes most solvents.
Keep in mind that anything made for a Mossberg M500 will fit a Maverick M88. The 2 are identical firearms.
Old November 10, 2019, 01:03 AM   #8
Blindstitch

Numrich has plenty of both.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...rends-m?page=5
Old November 10, 2019, 01:46 PM   #9
langenc

Put a slipon Limbsaver on my 20 Spanish double. The old one was hard and wouldnt absorb any recoil, probably from day one. Go the the local gunshop and push on most any new gun pad. they dont move (absorb) much of anything including the high priced ones that Ive seen.