The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 12, 2019, 05:02 PM   #1
dyl

Talon grips advice, slipping Hogue Handall Jr.

Hey all,

I have 2 questions for anyone with experience.

I've ordered a sheet of rubberized Talon grips for a hard chromed Jericho 941F that is pretty slippery. Can the Talon be overlapped onto itself or is the adhesion no good that way? Any minimum width for sections? I'm planning on at least a strip down the front strap and back strap but if it'll start peeling or slipping then I could wrap around all the way. Except I still have some tinkering to do so I don't want to make the grip panels stuck in place.

Another things, I've got a Hogue Handall Jr. on a pocket pistol. It's great, but slips down by the end of a range trip. Anyone ever put anything underneath to glue it in place - but not permanently? Hot glue? rubber cement? Hair spray?
Old October 12, 2019, 05:26 PM   #2
American Man

Concerning the Talon Grips, you can overlap them. For the glocks the finger grooves or the part that folds over the front (non finger grooves) of the grip for the Gen 5s is usually tucked underneath of the thumb side and then heated up with a hair dryer. It doesn't seem such a great plan at first, but I have never had any come apart or peel off. Wherever you do overlap or tuck it underneath, just make sure you heat it up and press it a few times.
Old October 14, 2019, 01:29 PM   #3
DMK

Talon makes a nice product. I've used them and plan to buy more next time they have a sale.

That said, you can buy the same rubberized material and cut it to your own shapes. I've used it both on guns for which Talon has no custom fit product and to tweak guns that do have Talon Grips.

GT-5000 Grip Tape

Quote:
Another things, I've got a Hogue Handall Jr. on a pocket pistol. It's great, but slips down by the end of a range trip. Anyone ever put anything underneath to glue it in place - but not permanently? Hot glue? rubber cement? Hair spray?
Just don't use those things. They always stretch and shift eventually. The grip tape is a better solution.
Old October 14, 2019, 11:50 PM   #4
dyl

Talon grips came in today, will apply it soon.

I found a solution to affix the Hogue Handall Jr to a Kahr CM9.

I read this on another forum and did it: Remove the slip on grip. Put on a section of bicycle inner tube, *then* put the Hogue Handall Jr on top. The increased friction between the two layers works and it is difficult to get it to shift now. Unfortunately, it takes the comforting gel-like feeling away when squeezing the grip because the rubber (or whatever it's made of) can't spread out as you compress it due to that same friction with the inner tube underneath. I'd say on a pocket pistol the palm swell for those who don't mind it makes a big difference in rapid fire as the grips are so narrow to begin with. If I were someone that liked skinny jeans, maybe I couldn't afford the space to enhance the grip.
Old November 1, 2019, 03:05 PM   #5
SGW Gunsmith

I use a Glock 23 for my main carry pistol during the colder months. My only issue with the grip frame was how uncomfortable it became during an extended shooting session. The build-up effect of recoil while holding that polymer grip frame got to the point where it just was no fun to continue shooting.
For less than, or right around, $10.00, I installed the Pachmayr grip sleeve:

This addition made a world of difference concerning the comfort that's now common when shooting sessions involved quite a lot of rounds. The grip frame feels noticeably much more comfortable and is much less hard on my shooting hand.
Old November 2, 2019, 06:51 PM   #6
dyl

Nice grip sleeve, do you find the Pachmayr slides down much? I'm familiar with them from revolver grips.
Old November 10, 2019, 06:10 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

I can't speak from experience with that particular Pachmayr product, but because the muzzle flips up while your hand is still on the sleeve, I would expect firing to tend to push it up, not down. And yes, any kind of grip fattening makes for a great reduction in perceived recoil. You just have to be careful you don't take to the extreme that it is too fat to let you make good trigger contact or to weaken your retention ability.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle