The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 26, 2019, 08:04 PM   #101
davidsog

Quote:
It doesn't matter if it's a lower standard.
It does matter if it is a lower standard. A DD214 is your discharge and proof of service. Just because you do not have submit it and can simply check a box that you served does not change the fact the state is crediting your service towards firearm competency.

Quote:
And I think you wrote that the current DD-214s don't show any weapons qualification, so states that specifically require proof of handgun safety training won't accept a DD-214.
I actually find it amusing that you only have to sign an affidavit. It is very clear that many states have no idea what the Military is about.

I found it hilarious and a nice illustration of the ignorance when I asked about SFARTEC.
Old July 26, 2019, 09:41 PM   #102
Aguila Blanca
Staff

In other news ... what states other than Connecticut have changed their CCW class requirements in recent (??) years? Didn't Texas reduce theirs from two days to one day?

Any others?
Old July 29, 2019, 04:48 AM   #103
Spats McGee
Staff

As this is Tactics and Training, how about we all quit squabbling over DD214s and get back to the topic of the OP?
Old July 29, 2019, 05:53 AM   #104
AzShooter

Spats, great idea, I'm the OP and I've stopped watching getting notifications on this thread because it is way off topic now. I rarely visit but agree with you 100%/
Old July 29, 2019, 08:24 AM   #105
zincwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
In other news ... what states other than Connecticut have changed their CCW class requirements in recent (??) years? Didn't Texas reduce theirs from two days to one day?

Any others?
*Texas changed their class requirements from all day to 4 hours (IIRC). I believe there is still a shooting component.

*Separately Texas changed from a CHL to a "License to Carry" (LTC). Requirements are the same, but it permits license holders the ability to open carry pistols as well.
Old August 21, 2019, 10:12 PM   #106
Brit

Minimum training, OK by me. But drawing from a concealed holster, firing at a target from 10M yards, that should be minimum. 90% hits.
The first CCW man I met in Florida, fired one .22 round into 45g drum of sand.
He told me, he was carrying a Glock 9mm. Loaded it outside the gun shop he bought it at. Had not fired it. He was happy.
Old August 27, 2019, 11:46 AM   #107
JakeE

I just got my CCW and some friends have had way worse time than me getting one. I think sometimes it’s who and how goes about it
Old September 8, 2019, 09:08 PM   #108
Blue Duck

I have taken about 4 different CCW classes over the years, for various reasons. Some were a little better then others. Most of the time it was about what is legal and what is not legal, with a shooting session in the end. There was really no visible skill requirements that amounted to much, past very basic gun handling. No real accuracy requirements, at least I never seen anyone fail, no matter how sorry their shooting was for the most part.

It has crossed my mind to jump thru the hoops and get my certification to teach the CCW course in my state, myself, since I am not that far from retirement and would probably have the interest and time. But if I did, I would at least personally like to spend additional time on weapon's choice, and proper holsters, and other carry modes and their advantages and disadvantages, as I see that part very lacking in most CCW courses, and I believe that many who take the classes, do not have the motivation to research that info on their own.