The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 2, 2019, 06:20 PM   #1
robvasi

Can an aimpoint sight be installed on an S and W 686?

I am on the verge of acquiring an older Smith and Wesson 686.
Serial number BPK9302.
I plan to use this revolver in Bullseye competition.

I have an Aimpoint Micro H-2 2MOA that I'd like to install on this revolver, if I end up owning it. By drilling and taping some holes, a rail could be installed.

However, is it possible to use the two existing holes and attached a device that will accommodate the installation of the Aimpoint?

I know this an obscure question, I have an aversion to drilling into guns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pix569443420.jpg (89.5 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by robvasi; March 2, 2019 at 09:14 PM.
Old March 2, 2019, 09:29 PM   #2
lunger

It depends on how old. I believe mounts to replace the rear sight are available for 686-4 and newer. 1994 or so ? I am not that familiar with serial numbers to tell you. Model # is visible with cylinder open.
Old March 3, 2019, 10:45 AM   #3
ms6852

Check this link see if it offers what you want.https://www.opticsplanet.com/trijico...-revolver.html
https://www.jackweigand.com/swhpmnt.html

Last edited by ms6852; March 3, 2019 at 10:50 AM.
Old March 3, 2019, 12:56 PM   #4
HighValleyRanch

Weigand mount for all smith L frames:
https://www.jackweigand.com/scope.html

He has been providing mounts for the bullseye community for years!

His site says that all smith revolvers since 1992 have had the holes already drilled for mounting this type of mount. You could call and verify.
Old March 3, 2019, 02:48 PM   #5
NoSecondBest

I have a -5 model and it's pre-drilled for a Weigand type mount. You have to remove the read sight and also use that hole. Easy and very durable mount.
Old March 4, 2019, 09:48 PM   #6
laytonj1

BPK serial prefix dates your gun to very late 93, early 94. -4 started in 93. A -4 has the rounded rear sight leaf and is factory tapped underneath it for a sight mount.

Jim
Old March 4, 2019, 11:34 PM   #7
Eddietruett

You are right on the break from -3 to -4 which as stated above would be factory drilled and tapped. I have several Earlier 686's that have been drilled and tapped by my gunsmith with absolutely no problem I had him position the holes as not to disturb the original sight leaf screw in case I decided to install the original sights back on. D&T won't change the strength of the frame nor will it effect the resale of the gun down the road. If anything I think it might ad value since it gives the owner more than one choice for sights. I think my gunsmith charges me $25 per hole. I always take the rail I'm going to use so it will be a perfect fit
Old March 5, 2019, 05:23 PM   #8
mellow_c

No it can not, not if you have to drill, not if you want to maintain a clear conscience:-D

If your talking a pre-lock 686 I really would leave it alone. But if it’s a more recent model with the internal key lock, go right ahead and drill if you have to!

;-)

Sorry, I know that wasn’t much help.
Old March 5, 2019, 06:53 PM   #9
Don P

Quote:
No it can not, not if you have to drill, not if you want to maintain a clear conscience:-
Phooey, do what you want its your gun and as far as its value what you want to do will not hurt it's value
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.