The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 23, 2019, 12:56 PM   #1
AERacing1813

J frame EDC holster ideas

Curious to what y'all run for a EDC holster on your J frame smith's.

I typically run my El-Paso saddlery OWB strong side with my S&W 337 (SA/DA .38) which works amazingly well for a cheap holster; or for a quick trip out ill throw it in my DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster (which I'm not to hot on, it seems HUGE).

Curious to explore other options, I've been eyeballing the "Galco Tuck-N-Go" for a week or so, but no local shops have it on the shelf and I'm hesitant to order online and not like it.

What IWB setup do you guys run with a J frame?
Old December 23, 2019, 02:55 PM   #2
unclenunzie

for my 642 IWB I settled on http://www.sideguardholsters.com/holsters/MinSnap.htm

I like it a lot.
Old December 23, 2019, 03:38 PM   #3
OhioGuy

I got a single clip holster from Concealment Express that I like a lot. It's simple and it works. I'd prefer something more stable, but getting a 2-clip holster on and off is a pain. I also prefer never to remove the gun from its holster unless it's being shot or being cleaned, otherwise I treat every gun and its holster as a unit, hence my preference for simple holsters and AIWB carry (much easier to move the holster around during the day if I Have to remove it while out and about.)

I also have a Blackhawk "Tec Grip" sticky-style holster that's surprisingly effective. I know Sticky and Remora are the ones everyone thinks about, but the material on this Tec Grip holster doesn't move for anything. It's helpful as a pocket holster or IWB when wearing without a belt. (Neither of which I do often)
Old December 23, 2019, 03:52 PM   #4
L-2

For my S&W 642 it's a Blade-Tech Klipt:
https://blade-tech.com/products/klip...=5870550810652

For my S&W 640 Pro, it's a custom-made Kydex holster from Surefitholsters.com:
https://surefitholsters.com/collecti...29819320795208

My Sure-Fit holster was molded from my actual gun, in-person, while I waited as Sure-Fit didn't have a dummy/mold for this specific model.
Old December 23, 2019, 03:54 PM   #5
JERRYS.

I haven't worn a J frame on my belt/waist band in a long time. I pocket carry them in a Safariland model 25 on occasion or a Mika pocket holster. that Slide Guard above look nice with the offset fastener. I'm not a fan of a retaining clip being placed on the cylinder area, that's big enough as it is.
Old December 23, 2019, 04:06 PM   #6
Tactical Jackalope

T5 Custom Kydex. )
Old December 23, 2019, 04:13 PM   #7
OhioGuy

I agree, placing the clip on the cylinder adds more bulk and also tends to make the grip stick out more. Placing it over the trigger guard tucks the grip in a little better, not that it makes a huge difference when concealing a J Frame.

But if you had a larger revolver, or a longer grip on your J-Frame, it could make a difference.
Old December 23, 2019, 07:04 PM   #8
WyMark

I have the LCR version of this one:
http://michaelkole.com/index.php/det...w-j-frame.html

I carry owb at 3 o'clock, but these holsters can be adapted for iwb as well.
Old December 23, 2019, 07:15 PM   #9
EIGHTYDUECE

I use a El Paso Saddlery Border Boss IWB for my J-frames. It works for Charter Arms Undercovers and Taurus .38 snubs just as well. It has a flat back construction so it is comfortable. This is the only IWB holster for a J-frame size revolver that I have tried, so I do not know if it the best. It works very well for me.

"Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart"- ASH
Old December 23, 2019, 09:25 PM   #10
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by AERacing1813 View Post
Curious to what y'all run for a EDC holster on your J frame smith's.

I typically run my El-Paso saddlery OWB strong side with my S&W 337 (SA/DA .38) which works amazingly well for a cheap holster; or for a quick trip out ill throw it in my DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster (which I'm not to hot on, it seems HUGE).

Curious to explore other options, I've been eyeballing the "Galco Tuck-N-Go" for a week or so, but no local shops have it on the shelf and I'm hesitant to order online and not like it.

What IWB setup do you guys run with a J frame?
Galco Triton, the old version*, with the usual wide plastic clip replaced by 2 "pull the dot" type snap loops. It's your basic kydex taco type IWB.

*the current version uses some kind of tuckable plastic overhook. I want loops, for security.

Quote:
I'm hesitant to order online and not like it.
Unfortunately that's the name of the game with holsters. Too many guns, too many styles, for a shop to stock much variety.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; December 23, 2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old December 24, 2019, 08:11 AM   #11
jar

Generally a Bianchi 215 shoulder holster with my J frames, Detective Special or Charter Arms Undercover.

Old December 24, 2019, 10:19 AM   #12
CDR_Glock

I use a Desantis N3 in the pocket.

I also have a Shielded Holsters hybrid but I prefer pocket carry for a J frame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old December 24, 2019, 11:27 AM   #13
gnystrom

Sideguard minimalist works well for me in whatever position I choose to carry.
Old December 28, 2019, 09:15 AM   #14
Cowboyfromhell

High noon holsters Mr softy or bare asset. Single clip easy on and off and won't break the bank.
Old December 28, 2019, 09:35 AM   #15
Carl the Floor Walker

Mitch Rosen. Have a number of these and love them. Picked up a Presidente for my Kahr CM9 the other day for $50.00. It was listed as used. But came in as new. Had to be completely broken in.

Old January 1, 2020, 09:15 PM   #16
azretired

My 642 with homemade pocket holster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 642 Compacs1.jpg (236.8 KB, 34 views)
Old January 1, 2020, 10:30 PM   #17
Cheapshooter

If it's on my belt it's in a Theis IWB Hybrid. Be it wheel gun, or auto. Just like the absolute comfort of this type of holster.
If it's in my pocket, it's in a DeSantis Nemesis. Same thing, holes around in a circle, or stacked up ammo. Same brand and style of holster.
I even have a Theis made for a Ruger SP101 that fits my Charter Bulldog like it was made for it. Very comfortable, and concealable. Goes unnoticed by both me, and passers by.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 2, 2020, 12:37 AM   #18
sam3

642 in a Kramer horsehide pocket holster since 1995
Old January 19, 2020, 05:56 PM   #19
azretired

Just curious as to what El Paso saddlery holster you find "Cheap"? Cost or quality? Never found either cheap, they are top notch!
Old January 20, 2020, 06:28 AM   #20
Satchmoeddie

I actually carry a Colt Detective Special 3rd variant with the shrouded ejector rod in an old 1980 UPSIDE DOWN retention shoulder holster. Retention is surprising excellent, and drawing the gun requires rolling or twisting it out of the holster by rocking the trigger guard down out of the tight fitting holster where the holster wraps up around the trigger guard. These holsters were also made for the Smith & Wesson J frame too. In fact they made more of these upside down holster for the J frame than for any other gun. They stopped making them in the 1980s but there are still lots of NEW OLD STOCK and very clean used examples out there for the J frame. The only problem, is they tend to be kind of pricey, as in $100-$280. As I said before retention is surprisingly excellent, and when you figure out how to rock the gun out of the holster the draw is also very very smooth, fast & easy. To those who are uninitiated they will try to PULL the gun straight out, and it simply won't budge. These holsters were also made for Charter Arms snubbies too. I forget who made them, but I want to say Biancci. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MINE!!!! I had a cop give up on trying to take the gun out of the holster during a traffic stop. That is how well they grip the gun. He just said, "Keep your hands away from the gun, I give up." I can draw the guns left or right handed too! Left handed the rocking action required is 100% natural. I spend a lot of time in a car, with a Hawaiian shirt covering my shoulder rigs. When I don't have the Detective Special, I have a Sig Sauer P228R, P226R, or a Daewoo K5 (all fit in the same holster), a S&W 66-1, a S&W 29-2 or a Glock 19. The Magnums are generally only worn up in bear country. For running errands in summer a Colt D Frame or a Smith J Frame is a great choice. They are also super as coat pocket guns. Google Images has some picture of these, google images "UPSIDE DOWN SHOULDER HOLSTER". I tried to upload a picture of me wearing it, my face blacked out, but the file is too large. Sorry! Stay safe, & stay free. God bless.

Last edited by Satchmoeddie; January 20, 2020 at 06:42 AM.
Old January 20, 2020, 08:21 AM   #21
rodfac

This is my home-made open top Tom Threepersons holster that I made for my M60 Smith with a 3" bbl. In use, I often carry it farther back, tucking the tip of the holster in my jeans hip pocket.

As has been pointed out before, there is no thong nor snap retainer strap; I fit it tight enough for my normal, day to day carry needs here on our farm & in town. LEO use would require add'l retention devices however.

I'm not a fan of IWB holsters for all the usual stated reasons. YMMv, Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend what it stands for in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Freedoms are not free, they've been paid for many times over by heros in uniform. We owe them and our children, the best that we can do.

USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, An Loc, lll Corps, RVN, 69-70, Vietnam Vet '69-'73
Old January 21, 2020, 01:32 AM   #22
rep1954

My home grown 3D printed pocket carry holster made from a flexible material. The holster is 1/4” thick when empty.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/att...3&d=1574293238