The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 25, 2019, 11:15 AM   #1
9ballbilly

Cimarron Thunderer .44-40 3.5"?

I'm seriously considering buying one of these, but I can't seem to find one to take a look at/ handle.

I've never owned anything from Cimarron before but they seem to have good reviews.

For those who own one of their revolvers, what do you think of it?
How does it stack up against a Ruger Vaquero?

I'm buying myself a present to celebrate a personal accomplishment and have it narrowed down to either the Thunderer .44-40 3.5" or a Vaquero birdshead .45acp 3.75".

Either caliber is fine, and I reload so ammo isn't an issue. The gun will ride around on my hip when I'm out fishing or wandering around in the woods and not much more than that other than an occasional trip to the range.

So, which of these would you choose?
Old December 25, 2019, 12:35 PM   #2
Cheapshooter

Ruger makes high quality revolvers, and where the Blackhawk models are "kind of" cowboy guns, they still have much more modern influence than the Vaquero.
The Cimarron is much more true to the old Colt it represents.
The Vaquero is kind of in between, with modern internal parts, but very traditional looks. But if a Cowboy gun is what I am looking for, I wouldn't go with 45acp.
I have the bottom model of the Cimarron in 45 Colt to scratch my cowboy itch. Faux case hard frame, black matt cylinder and barrel. The fit, and function is very good. The feel exactly that of the Colt SAA. It is accurate, but impact is quite low. But the front sight is quite high. Intentionally so I am assuming, so the owner can adjust it down with a file to match the loads they intend to use.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 25, 2019, 12:44 PM   #3
Hawg

The Cimarron Thunderer is nothing more than a Uberti Cattleman with a birdshead grip. It bears no resemblance to an original Thunderer nor is it double action like an original Thunderer. The Ruger action works nothing like a Colt. Either one is a solid dependable gun. I have a Cimarron model P in 44-40 and wouldn't take anything for it.
Old December 26, 2019, 08:10 AM   #4
USNRet93

I was all set to buy(actually order) an Uberti BirdsHead, until I held one....no thanks, not comfy in MY hand. Might try to handle one first..I handled on at Cabelas...they were 'pretty' helpful...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 26, 2019, 11:19 AM   #5
Pahoo

Quality

Quote:
I've never owned anything from Cimarron before but they seem to have good reviews
As you know, Cimarron is the importer as opposed to the manufacturer. I have owned two and as far as quality, I don't see them importing "junk" and they ask, good money. The two that I owned were quality firearms. I suspect the one you are looking at, would be the same. …..

Be Safe !!!
Old December 26, 2019, 12:50 PM   #6
thegatman

Go with the Ruger. The New Ruger blackhawk is light weight and dependable.
Old December 26, 2019, 03:29 PM   #7
Pahoo

Ruger

Quote:
I missed this, on my initial reading. I'm a Ruger fan and to date, they only make one firearm that I do not care for. .. ….

Be Safe !!!
Old December 27, 2019, 04:55 PM   #8
shurshot

"Thunderer .44-40 3.5" or a Vaquero birdshead .45acp 3.75"."

Either one. I own both Ubeti and Ruger. Excellent guns. Shot both today, but in .45 Colt. My Uberti El Patron comes with a slicked up trigger, FAR smoother than a standard Ruger or Uberti (both of which one can easily get used to). A new lighter spring will lighten those stock triggers if you can't get used to them. Either gun is a good choice in my opinion.

A .44-40 is on my list though and it will likely be an Uberti or a Colt.
Old January 17, 2020, 08:41 PM   #9
Savvy_Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9ballbilly View Post
I'm seriously considering buying one of these, but I can't seem to find one to take a look at/ handle.

I've never owned anything from Cimarron before but they seem to have good reviews.

For those who own one of their revolvers, what do you think of it?

I'm buying myself a present to celebrate a personal accomplishment and have it narrowed down to either the Thunderer .44-40 3.5" or a Vaquero birdshead .45acp 3.75".

Either caliber is fine, and I reload so ammo isn't an issue. The gun will ride around on my hip when I'm out fishing or wandering around in the woods and not much more than that other than an occasional trip to the range.

So, which of these would you choose?
Cimarron Thunderer is just a Cattleman with a "Thunderer" Birdshead grip.
I have the Cattleman with the backstrap "hump" Birdshead grip....same revolver frame, different design Birdshead grips.

Ruger is always a stronger revolver, modern "guts" but I have practically no issues with my Cattlmans and I assure you they are no safe queens.

Original Correct Terminology

The Colt M1877, designed by William Mason....which he, not Colt, designated

"Rainmaker" for the .32 Colt
"Lightning" for the .38 Long Colt
"Thunderer" for the .41 Long Colt

Just like the 45 "Long" Colt designation, Colt never used those designations as factory designations nor did or do their ammunition manufactures that know anything about history.

The original grips had a "hump" near the top but many replicas use a smooth backstrap.

Old January 17, 2020, 10:40 PM   #10
Auto5

I have a New Model Vaquero in .45LC (4.75" bbl) and a Cimarron Lightning (scaled down version of the Thunderer in .38 Special). The Ruger (polished stainless) in an excellent revolver. The Cimarron is also a fine revolver. It was a little rougher when new, but smoothed out nicely. It isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison, since I use my Lightning as more of a lightweight hiking trail gun.
The Lightning has a more traditional design, whereas the Ruger is a modern gun made to look like a traditional single action. I'm pretty sure the Ruger is more expensive.
Old January 20, 2020, 08:01 AM   #11
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy_Jack View Post
Cimarron Thunderer is just a Cattleman with a "Thunderer" Birdshead grip.
I have the Cattleman with the backstrap "hump" Birdshead grip....same revolver frame, different design Birdshead grips.

The original grips had a "hump" near the top but many replicas use a smooth backstrap.

Thank you!! I handled a Uberti 1873 Bird's Head and didn't like the grip at all..then I handled a Beretta(made by Uberti) Bird's Head at a different store, which I loved..until the picture, I didn't know why, now I do. Thanks. My Bird's Head like the Thunderer grip.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old January 26, 2020, 11:42 PM   #12
the possum

Like USNRet93, I love the feel of the Thunderer's humpback grip. I dislike the smooth backed birdshead grip as offered on the Vaquero and other makes, so that made my choice for me. I'd strongly recommend handling them both for yourself before deciding.

The Cimarron guns are also available in .45 ACP. Given the choice, I'd much rather reload any straight walled pistol cartridge over the .44-40.

As mentioned, Uberti also made another version of the Thunderer for Beretta with that nice humbacked grip. But, the Beretta gun has some kind of transfer bar system like the Ruger, so it's safe to carry with 6 rounds. The Cimarron is not, if that matters to you. Technically, the Cimarron has another notch on the base pin to insert it deeper and block the hammer, but then it's not immediately ready to fire, either, since it takes 2 hands.

The hand spring broke on mine, and as soon as I took it apart I thought it was a dumb design. Wolff makes a better spring for $6.

Mine also has a slight bump inside the bore where the screw for the ejector rod housing is. Either they pressed too hard with a dull drill bit, or the screw is too long, but the metal must be very thin there. I can't tell if it affects the accuracy yet, but I didn't buy this gun for long range bullseye shootin' anyhow.
Old January 27, 2020, 12:14 AM   #13
Hawg

Quote:
The Colt M1877, designed by William Mason....which he, not Colt, designated.
I believe it was Benjamin Kittredge that gave them the designation.