The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 23, 2019, 03:42 AM   #1
Mikef262

M1 Carbine

Hey guys,

I recently picked up an m1 carbine at a local gun show for $790. I haven't shot it yet, planning to tomorrow, hopefully it goes better than the Iver Johnson carbine I had.

It is definitely not all original, but after some research, I have learned a bit about the different markers of each part. The reciever and rear sight are Springfield. The hammer is Walt Arsenal. The charging handle is Saginaw. The barrel is marked 10-1943, I assume the 10-1943 indicates the month and year the barrel was made? The barrel band is type 3, I believe, and is marked SA2, which I assume is Springfield. The stock is Jamestown Lounge or Jewel Bros? Not positive on the stock. It has a "J" on one side where the sling wraps through. It also has the letter "P" stamped and circled at the bottom of the grip, and another "P" stamped on the front of the grip, but not circled. The handguard is only marked with a "10", and nothing else.

I realize the Springfield's aren't desired like real carbines. But I do hope this shoots better than the Iver Johnson. First shot with the IJ the handguard flew off...

Anyway, at $790 how did I do?
Old December 23, 2019, 07:56 AM   #2
AirForceShooter

Price is about right for the decraibed gun.
M-1 carbines generally are quite reliable.
Combat accuracy is acceptable

Have fun

AFS
Old December 23, 2019, 10:49 AM   #3
HiBC

I think its a misconception that the typical M-1 carbine rolled out of an arsenal with matching parts.

The parts were farmed out to a number of suppliers,and the rifles from day one might have Inland,Saginaw,IBM,and Quality Parts all in the same gun
Old December 23, 2019, 02:04 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
It is definitely not all original,...
In what way??

with US military firearms there are two "original" conditions, though perhaps authentic is a better word. There is the configuration of the arm as it was when accepted by the military and first issued. Call that original issue if you want.

Then there is the gun "as maintained in service", which is entirely authentic but can, and often is different from the original issue condition.

Additionally, as mentioned, some guns were never made with parts from a single source. SO, even a gun that was never issued (or reworked) could have parts from different makers and be completely "correct" and absolutely authentic and "real".
Old December 23, 2019, 02:35 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...The receiver and rear sight are Springfield..." No such thing as a Springfield receiver. Springfield Arsenal did do Post war rebuilds, but they did not make Carbines.
"...made with parts from a single source..." None of the original Carbine makers made all the parts. Most made very few. Some made receivers and nothing else. A lot of the subcontractors(100's of small shops all over the Eastern Seaboard made Carbine parts) did not mark the parts at all. Hence, there's no such thing as an "original" or "all correct" Carbine.
Rummage around here.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/
"...better than the Iver Johnson carbine I had..." IJ's can be like that. IJ bought out both Plainfield Machine Co. and Universal Firearms Co. IJ Plainfields are not as good as original Plainfields. Universals come in early and late models. The Early types are ok. They were made before Universal thought they could improve the design. Those are the Late models(toggle for the bolt hold open, poorly made stamped op handle and 2 return springs) and are junk.
Old December 23, 2019, 03:21 PM   #6
Mikef262

T.O'Heir,

Perhaps I used the wrong terminology, or there was a miscommunication. But, just below the rear sight on my carbine it is marked, "Springfield Armory". The rear sight covers up the "Springfield" portion of it, but you can see it at an angle. If I could figure out how, if it is possible, to remove the rear sight, I would take a picture.

The rear sight is marked "SA" on the side.
Old December 23, 2019, 06:07 PM   #7
Mikef262

On a new note, I just got back from the range. I fired about 100 rounds of cheap Tula steel cased ammo through it. Normally stay away from steel cased, but the gun shop only had steel, and I wanted to shoot it today. It shot very very well! Only two issues, which were magazine and ammo related. Had an issue with one round of the Tula ammo, and after finishing a magazine, I realized the bottom blew out! Luckily, all parts were recovered, and the mag was reassembled. I am very happy to finally have a functioning carbine!
Old December 23, 2019, 06:16 PM   #8
Nodak1858

I think the confusion is the not all original statement. Springfield didn't make USGI carbines, they did make recievers and assemble rifles from left over USGI parts. So it's a carbine, just not a military receiver based one.

Here's the info on them, had a few incarnations

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_springfield.html

Last edited by Nodak1858; December 23, 2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old December 23, 2019, 09:27 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Must be a post-war repro with some GI parts. Does it shoot well? B/Ct that's the bottom line. Enjoy.