The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 29, 2018, 12:55 PM   #1
cw308

MAX X TECH 45 Auto Brass

After reloading mixed brands and checking in my Lyman Case Gage they all seated good in the gage except the Max X TECH brass , seems the web area is larger then most . They did seat fine in the chamber ( plunk test ) Got the brass from a friend that doesn't reload . Anyone out there using this brass or having the same issue. I haven't shot the yet , they may work fine , I will see .

Last edited by cw308; November 29, 2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old November 29, 2018, 06:13 PM   #2
Charlie98

My buddy had some Tula Maxx 9mm ammo once... If memory serves, it had a step in the case to prevent bullet setback... is that what you are talking about?

I don't fool with foreign brass (except PMC) and it all went into the scrap bucket.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old November 29, 2018, 06:37 PM   #3
cw308

Charlie_98
Thanks for answering . No , what's happening is the bullet fits into the gage up to the last 3/16 afove the ejection grove but pass the plunk test . Not a problem with neck tension .
Old November 29, 2018, 06:44 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Makes you wonder if the original load was too warm and caused case head expansion. Did the primer seem to seat too easily? Did ay fall out?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 29, 2018, 08:49 PM   #5
cw308

Unclenick
Store bought ammo that one of my shooting friends saves for me . Primers popped out normally , bullet 230 FMJ , he still has 30 unfired if the next time I see him if he hasn't already shot them I will see what's listed on the box . The all sized , expanded , seated and crimped just fine , it's when I checked them in the Lyman case gage is when I noticed the problem on every one . I just double-checked , the base of the bullet when inserted into the gage first will enter so I measured the seated area , measures .475 normally .471-2 I think the brass must be very thick . They all fitt in the chamber , sorry for the confusion . Do you know anything about the brass ?
Old November 29, 2018, 10:21 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

I am unfamiliar with that brass, unfortunately. I recommend you download the SAAMI centerfire pistol and revolver drawings here. The cartridge dimensions given (except some radius dimensions) are all maximums, with a minus-only tolerance, while the chamber dimensions given are all minimums with a plus-only tolerance. You will see the 45 Auto allows for 0.476" diameter just at the top end of the head and 0.473" diameter at the mouth as maximums. If you are fitting inside that, which it sounds like you are (but look at the drawing for yourself to be sure) and if just the rim portion of the head refuses to go into the gauge, look for extractor burrs and/or bending on the rim. Those often stop full fit into a gauge.
Old November 30, 2018, 05:24 AM   #7
jetinteriorguy

I had some Max Tech brass in 9mm that had the step in it. If you load it like other brass you'll get very high pressure spikes due to greatly reduced capacity. I think they design it this way to use less powder making it cheaper to manufacture. Now if I find any I just toss it. But, I don't know if this applies to .45 ACP the same.
Old November 30, 2018, 08:39 AM   #8
cw308

I will remove the bullet and powder from the case , fire the primer and dump the brass . To All , thank you for all your time you gave helping me with this problem .

Chris
Old December 1, 2018, 03:51 PM   #9
mikld

Have you measured the fished handload? If you find out where the cartridge is too big then you can find when/why it happens...

This is one reasons I don'r use cartridge gauges anymore; good, plunking, shootable ammo won't gauge...
Old December 1, 2018, 04:36 PM   #10
cw308

mikld
I did measure the case at the base and neck area with seated bullet , that's where the problem is . The MAXXTECH cases are .014-5 case wall thickness , it's at least .003 thicker . Some MT cases have a step of thicker inside at the base of the case mine didn't , they loaded fine in my chamber but not in the case gage . The MAXXTECH come from Bosnia, who new . Will eyeball every case from now on . Thanks for answering .

Chris
Old December 1, 2018, 05:42 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

I've also had at least one batch of cheap 45 Auto hardball loads I got at a gun show years ago that came from the former Eastern Bloc somewhere and that had the thickest case walls I'd ever seen. The bullets measured 0.450" and when a 0.452" cast bullet was put in they wouldn't chamber in my barrel. The case mouth hung up near the end of the taper in the chamber.
Old December 1, 2018, 06:18 PM   #12
cw308

Unclenick
That's exactly what's happening in the Lyman case gage l use to check my reloads . They do chamber fine in the gun when chambering by hand , under firing conditions things can change . I'm going to -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- can those cases , just not worth it . Like I posted , I'm getting them from a friend that fires anything on sale , reloading that brass isn't the best thing . I'll check head stamps first . Live and learn , can use it to help the next chump . Be Well .

Chris