The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 29, 2009, 12:13 PM   #1
gordonhere

.223 and IMR 4756

Hello everyone

I am new to reloading and wanted to know if it is ok to use IMR 4576 to reload .223. If so, can someone give me specs for the load?

Thanks,

Gordon
Old September 29, 2009, 12:24 PM   #2
Scorch

I believe the powder you are asking about is called SR4756. It is a shotgun powder used in shotgun and pistol loads, and as such is too fast to use for jacketed bullet loads in a 223 Remington cartridge, although there may be some cast bullet reduced power loads for that powder.

Do you have, and (more importantly) are you using a loading manual? If so, only use loads that are developed and recommended. If not, get one and study it before you start loading.
Old September 29, 2009, 12:27 PM   #3
McClintock

I'd look at a reloading manual

Welcome to TFL!

Not sure what your previous reloading experience is, but I'm going to hazard a guess that with a fairly open-ended question like this, what you are going to get are a lot of replies stating "Your first step should be to buy and read a reloading manual.". I agree, loading manuals are the best source of reliable, accurate info, and are probably the best place to start. Lyman's #49, Speer, Nosler, Hornady manuals are a good place to start. Get more than one, because the load information will vary from manual to manual.

It also depends on what bullet you plan on using. Different bullets prefer different powders, as I'm finding out (I just posted my .223 results this morning).

IMR's website states that "Like 800-X, SR4756 performs extremely well in the big handgun cartridges.", so I'd think it is too fast a powder for the .223.

http://www.imrpowder.com/

Dunno if that helps or not.

Cheers!
McClintock