The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 8, 2019, 05:42 AM   #26
DaleA

Well, gotta love the price on the LCP (not the LCP II, the LCP) $186 at Bud's. Every now and again they go on sale at some local shops for $199. I'm in the Twin Cities, MN.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...+380acp+275%22
Old October 8, 2019, 06:42 AM   #27
USNRet93

I bought mine for $185 cuz it was 'strawberry'(as in PINK)...shot it, sold it..PITA to shoot, IMHO.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old October 8, 2019, 06:42 AM   #28
Nanuk

Quote:
Smart folks don't shoot 357 out of J frames either..............
Why is that? I have been doing it since 1995 and a Ruger SP 101 for a few years before that?

Of course I have never claimed to be smart, just a believer in the 357 magnum.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old October 8, 2019, 06:47 AM   #29
Nanuk

Quote:
The OP and at least one other post mention a "suit" and or a jacket. My thought is dressed in that manner, you have a cover garment, and ought to about be able to carry any "serious" handgun one desires. Limited to trousers and a tucked in shirt, say as a dress code, I'd opt for a J-frame in pocket carry, but maybe my pockets are bigger than the next guys.........
Absolutely. I carried a full size pistol under a suit for years. I have a friend who passed several years a go, he was 6'2" and carried a wit-sec shotgun under his suit.

https://www.tactical-life.com/firear...rotection-870/
Old October 8, 2019, 06:54 AM   #30
stagpanther

Quote:
I bought mine for $185 cuz it was 'strawberry'(as in PINK)...shot it, sold it..PITA to shoot, IMHO.
Took me a while to figure out the lcp is not a point and aim handgun--it's more of a point and shoot gun.
Old October 8, 2019, 08:00 AM   #31
PSP

I carried a Seecamp for many years. A few years ago I bought a Beretta Pico. As nice as the Pico is, there are days I miss the tiny Seecamp.
Old October 8, 2019, 09:29 AM   #32
IdaD

An LCP in a Nemesis holster is my default when I don't want a gun on my belt. When I am able to carry something on my belt I'll use a larger 9mm with more capacity, but the LCP is an underrated little gun and I don't feel inadequately armed with 7 rounds in the gun plus another 6 in a spare mag. I work and the reality is I can't dress around a gun a lot of the time, and I'm also involved in a lot of activities with my kids that just aren't conducive to carrying around a larger gun.
Old October 8, 2019, 09:36 AM   #33
RGRacing

Pico in my pocket/IWB in my summer light attire. LCR 357 as my cover garments thicken and for special occasions a OWB Sig 1911 Ultra 45.

But I always have one of them.
Old October 8, 2019, 12:18 PM   #34
MIOkie

NAA .22 mag mini-revolver... ALWAYS. It is the “underwear” of what will be carried on any given day.
I will accessorize with something more substantial as the garments allow.
Old October 8, 2019, 01:33 PM   #35
CDW4ME

I'm guilty of sometimes carrying just a "mouse gun".
Normally, a Kahr PM9 (9mm) would be carried as a 2nd option ™ in pocket with a larger pistol IWB, ex: Glock 19 or 23.
However, sometimes when walking the dog, or mowing the yard, I'm guilty of carrying just the PM9 mouse gun.
Old October 8, 2019, 02:01 PM   #36
TailGator

My most commonly used carry pistol is a Glock 26, but I have a Sig P238 for pocket carry when IWB carry doesn't work. That is only one or maybe two days a week, but it's nice to have something for those days. I don't pretend that the pocket .380 is as capable as a larger 9 mm, but it gives me a fighting chance if things go south.
Old October 8, 2019, 04:53 PM   #37
Bill DeShivs

A good shot with a .380 (or .32 or even .22!) is as "capable" as a .44 magnum.
A central nervous system shot is a good shot.
Old October 8, 2019, 05:42 PM   #38
unclenunzie

I'd call my PM9 a pocket gun, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it a mouse gun being it weighs 19.6 ounces with 6+1 gold dots. I do carry a mouse gun for convenience at times, an LCP II. But I am much more comfortable with a service caliber.
Old October 8, 2019, 07:08 PM   #39
Cheapshooter

LCP, or Kahr CM9 depending on pocket size, and the opening to draw the gun.
Often my only carry, but at times as a BUG. But always one or the other in my pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster.
I've never understood the complaints about the LCP"snappy", or "painful" recoil. Generally, 50 rounds on a range trip with my LCPis pretty common for me.
As for the "thin" grip, add a Hogue Handall Jr. grip sleeve. I added one a couple years ago, although not necessarily for recoil. It just gives me a mor hand filling grip without any noticeable decrease in concealability.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 8, 2019, 07:13 PM   #40
Onward Allusion

I've been carrying a Beretta Pico during the summer months. Now that it's jacket weather, I'm going back to my Glock.
Old October 8, 2019, 07:43 PM   #41
IowaShooter

My 6.6 oz (10.1 oz loaded) Kel Tec P32 7+1 .32ACP is very, very often with me... Especially when larger gun isn't practical IMG_08102019_194143_(807_x_1000_pixel).jpg

Last edited by IowaShooter; October 9, 2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old October 8, 2019, 08:40 PM   #42
IowaShooter

This one is also carried frequently in my pocket or in my boot

8oz w/5 rds of .22magIMG_08102019_203329_(1000_x_728_pixel).jpg
Old October 8, 2019, 10:59 PM   #43
stagpanther

Quote:
LCP, or Kahr CM9 depending on pocket size, and the opening to draw the gun.
Often my only carry, but at times as a BUG. But always one or the other in my pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster.
I've never understood the complaints about the LCP"snappy", or "painful" recoil. Generally, 50 rounds on a range trip with my LCPis pretty common for me.
As for the "thin" grip, add a Hogue Handall Jr. grip sleeve. I added one a couple years ago, although not necessarily for recoil. It just gives me a mor hand filling grip without any noticeable decrease in concealability.
That's exactly how I configured my lcp when I carried it--along with the magazine floor plate extension.
Old October 9, 2019, 06:53 AM   #44
USNRet93

I carry a G42 on a 'ClipDraw' almost the entire summer..now that it's 'bigger clothes' weather, back to my G26, which I just got and really like.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old October 9, 2019, 07:02 AM   #45
Nanuk

Quote:
Absolutely not true. These low power rounds are extremely unpredictable.
Old October 9, 2019, 11:46 AM   #46
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Quote:
Absolutely not true. These low power rounds are extremely unpredictable.
So a "good shot" with a 380,32, or even 22 doesn't count. A "good shot" only counts from sort of hypothetically approved round?
Makes no sense what so ever. A good shot hitting the CNS is a good shot. No matter what diameter.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 10, 2019, 02:53 PM   #47
IdaD

My personal opinion is that your 9mm, 40 and 45 are close enough from a terminal performance standpoint to be interchangeable. I do think there's a drop in terminal performance when you go to 380 or 38 but I don't think that drop is all that meaningful for a civilian in a defensive shooting situation. I'm not a cop and I'm not trying to kill or apprehend anybody. My goal is just to get a bad guy to leave me and/or my family alone. In most situations I'm likely to encounter I think a 380 is going to achieve that as well as a duty caliber. It's loud, it would hurt and people are afraid of getting shot.

To put it another way, terminal performance isn't the biggest reason I prefer to carry my 2.0 Compact over my LCP. Capacity and greater accuracy when shooting quickly are both more significant factors to me - 31 rounds that I can deliver more effectively versus 13 that I can't deliver as effectively is a significant difference. That said, both guns serve a purpose for me.
Old October 10, 2019, 04:34 PM   #48
stagpanther

I used to hand-load some very warm xpb and extreme penetrators for my lcp--I had no doubts it would be very bad news to get hit by them within the reasonable range of the pistol.
Old October 11, 2019, 06:52 PM   #49
claydoctor

NAA .22mag Pug. Would prefer something bigger but it's the only thing that doesn't drag my pants down. Not one of the big boys but sure would ruin some bad guy's day.
Old October 11, 2019, 08:49 PM   #50
labnoti

Carry a bigger, heavier gun for a while, and you'll get used to it, the same way you used to fuss about wearing shoes, or a belt, or tucking your shirt in, or wearing a shirt with a collar or all those other big boy things.

http://blog.shooting-performance.com...ight-tomorrow/