The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 23, 2002, 10:42 PM   #1
Validpoint

O/U vs Semi-Auto?

Newbie Question:

Going to buy a first shotgun, and have always liked the looks and feel of an O/U. Will be mostly trap/skeet, but I want the ability to chamber 3" shells for an occasional duck hunt. The dumb question is - will a O/U chambered for 3" have any problem with the 2-3/4" target loads? I got 2 different stories from 2 dealers, and I'm sure one or more of the wise folks here will have some insight.

Or would I be better off with a good quality semi-auto that could digest anything put through it (Looking at the Benelli SBE)? Also, anybody have recommendations in a field grade O/U in the $1000-$1300 street price range? The only two I've looked at so far have been an entry-level Citori and a Ruger Red Label, with a slight nod toward the Browning.

Thanks in advance for helping out this FNG.

Greg G.
Embarrassed to be a Packer fan
Old January 24, 2002, 12:31 AM   #2
Bam Bam

At other shotgun forums I asked a similiar question. Very hearty recommendations for the Beretta 686. I bought one in matte Onyx and really like it. I have admired, but not shot, the Browning Satin Hunter.

I don't think the 2.75 shells in a 3" will be bad. I just finished reading an article on shotguns that said the older shotguns were made with longer chambers than stamped on the barrel. The extra space in the chamber improved patterns because of the wad (not crimping in plastic shells) used in paper shells.

Another way of looking at your question is the practical approach. We know that thousands of trap/skeet shooters are fanatics and have the disposable income to buy shotguns that are expensive as cars. Do they shoot only shotguns chambered for 2.75" for their trap and skeet? Probably not. I don't remember ever hearing about it at any clubs I shot at.
Old January 24, 2002, 04:48 AM   #3
ViLLain

Can only think of one advantage an O/U has on an automatic. They're elegant! They are also heavier, slow and more fragile. Dollar per dollar, you will get more value (features!) from an automatic. The Benelli is an excellent choice, as would anything else coming from Italy (Beretta, Franchi, Sig). And although the quality of Browning shotguns is good, their entire line needs to go on a serious diet.

If you want bang for the buck, take a good look at the Franchi line. They're not very pretty, but they are very functional and light. At under $600 for an auto and $1000 for the O/U line, a bargain that makes more expensive gun makers cringe.

http://www.franchiusa.com/
Old January 24, 2002, 06:32 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

2 3/4" loads work fine in 3" chambers. While various folks claim otherwise, no real difference exists in performance.

I do not recommend ANY O/U for a first shotgun. Some real junk is out there, and the good ones cost well into 4 figures new.

Since you didn't list a pump as an option, I suggest you get a quality semi auto like the Beretta 390 and 391 or the 11-87 from Remington. Both will retain value and give long, reliable service.

After a few years, you'll be in a better position to judge which O/U, if any, are a good choice for you.Meanwhile you've a great shotgun that wiull probably be your go to gun for most anything...

Best bargain in autos right now might be the Walmart 390s, they go for about $530 new.

HTH....
Old January 24, 2002, 07:26 AM   #5
PJR

ViLLan:

Not sure what shotguns you've been using to come to that conclusion but to suggest modern o/u are fragile compared to autos is contrary to my experience.

I've put tens of thousands of rounds through my over/unders without problem and in one case the gun was very, very well used when I got it. Autos tend to require parts replacement more often particularly the linkages.

If weight is a concern the new Browning Feather Lite series is a real advancement. I have one in 20 gauge and it tips the scale at just over 6-1/2 pounds. It's true that dedicated target guns are heavier than field guns but that's generally true for both o/us and autos.

Validpoint:

Shooting 2-3/4" shells in 3" chambers is one of those endless shotgun controversies. Browning insists on 2-3/4" chambers for its target guns while Beretta and Krieghoff say it doesn't matter. I've owned both 2-3/4" and 3" guns over the years and patterned them all and don't believe it matters.

An over/under is a fine choice for a first gun providing you understand that you get what you pay for. Beretta and Browning are the two most common over/unders chosen for target games. The Ruger Red Label has its admirers and if it fits and you like the way it feels (I don't) it is a worthy choice. Because target shooters change guns frequently there are often good bargains to be had in used over/unders but stick with the name brands.

Paul
Old January 24, 2002, 07:48 AM   #6
K80Geoff

My $.02

O/U 's are far more durable than Autos. They have fewer parts to break, are far easier to keep clean and have few moving parts to wear or malfunction. A decent low grade O/U will outlast any auto.

The debate about 2 3/4 shells in 3" chambers will never be settled. I have never found this to be an issue. My O/U's have 3" chambers and except for having to spend time cleaning the chambers carefully I have never noticed a problem with patterns.

I started out with a cheap O/U and learned from it. I would not own anything else, have no use for autos. Just like the way they (O/U's that is) feel and shoot.

Only you can decide what is best. If you like the O/U get one and shoot it!

The Beretta 686 would be my own personal choice if I were starting out. I like the feel of the gun. I know a lot of folks who swear by the Brownings, wouldn't own anything else. Shoot a few guns, buy what feels good to you and shoot it!
Old January 24, 2002, 10:23 AM   #7
M1911

Another issue is that if you really get into trap or skeet, you'll probably end up reloading. Many ranges have a policy that any hull that hits the ground belongs to the club. And even if they don't have that policy, with a semi-auto you'll slow down the works by crawling after your hulls. Advantage: double gun.

M1911
Old January 24, 2002, 10:56 AM   #8
Jim Watson

Go hang around the local trap and skeet club. Rent or borrow a gun, sign up for lessons. SHOOT!

Note: trap/skeet is not all one word. The sports are quite different. You can have fun and learn a lot shooting either or both with a field gun, but when you get hooked you will have to make a choice and get the right gun.

I know that Browning Citori, Remington 1100, and Beretta 390 work, since I have shot them. No doubt there are others.

Chamber length does not matter.
Old January 24, 2002, 11:53 AM   #9
Roadrunner

If you have the time, pick up a copy of Shotgun News and search the Internet to see if anyone is still selling NIB o/u Beretta 686 Silver Essentials. Beretta replaced the SEs with the WhiteWing (it is also more expensive then what the SEs were). This is their intro o/u shotgun.

I bought a new 12 ga 686 SE for $650 from a company in California and transferred to me. The ad was in Shotgun News. If you can still find them, the price might be a little more. I like it very much and have used it for trap, skeet, 5 stand, sporting clays, and hunting.

I only wish I bought 2 to sell the second for a little profit.
Old January 24, 2002, 12:19 PM   #10
Dave R

Doubles (SXS or OU) have two main advantages over pumps and semi's.

1) You have near instantaneous selection of two different chokes & loads. This advantage fades if you are shooting a known target at a known distance. In hunting situations, that's rarely the case, though.

2) They are easy to switch ammo as the need changes. Break open and reload. With a pump or auto, you have to cycle the shells out, pick 'em up, then reload.

Of course, pumps & semis have their own advantages. I once took a duck on a 3rd shot...
Old January 24, 2002, 01:18 PM   #11
Adamantium

I've got a question on Auto's. What do you guys think of the Browning Gold? Thats the only auto I've ever shot and my impressions were very favorable of it. I'm just wondering if there is a reason it hasn't been mentioned here as of yet?

Sincerely,
Adam
Old January 24, 2002, 01:29 PM   #12
Kobra

Everyone here made excellent points.

My take on it:
O/U are far more reliable and sturdy (few parts)
My Ruger O/U was $980 new with 5 chokes.
My SBE was $790 hardly used 5 chokes (Seen several more since).
Both are 26" and the Ruger is a far shorter, lighter and handier gun.
I prefer a 11-87 over a 1100 if Remington comes into play.
The Ruger and SBE both point different - I also recommend shooting other's guns to see what you like.

My experience has been all guns listed below and the following:
A-5 16ga
Gold 3"
Bolt Action 16 ga
Winchester X2
Mossberg pump
Charles Daly O/U
1100 12 ga

From these I like what I have so far - all my needs are basically met (eventhough I am trying to convince myself I need a Gold 10 ga just to have one)
Old January 24, 2002, 07:54 PM   #13
JosephBoeckner

hmm

im pretty darn sure an over/under will outlast a semi because look at the parts in a semi-and then look at an over/under-2 barrels and the main action parts-no gas operations or seals or 0-rings-im shooting trap right now with an 870 but if going to shoot trap more indept-id opt for the over/under
Old January 25, 2002, 02:17 AM   #14
Hawkaaa53

Selection

Hey Greg ,

Here are the down 'n dirty facts on the O/U and the Autoloader :

* The O/U is the maiden in every shooters dreams

* The O/U offers the opportunity to select different chokes

* The O/U dismisses cycling problems

* the O/U leaves you less in your bank account to distract you .

ON THE OTHER HAND :

* You can concentrate on the targets more cause you have one less choke tube to select

* You can shoot the same load more times w/o feeling as much pain

* You don't have to worry if the inertia reset feature will work

* You have more money in your bank account which should allow more practice and hopefully , practice leads to perfection

* And when in the field , have you ever made a "tripple" with a
stacked barrel" ?

IT"S YOUR MONEY AND YOU GET TO SPEND IT ! ! What a country !

Hawkaaa53
Old January 25, 2002, 02:53 AM   #15
ViLLain

Paul,

Let me rephrase what I was trying to say. I sell lots of shotguns to first time buyers. Nearly all that choose a O/U come back with a problem. Or when they come back to upgrade (trade), their guns are so beat up that the guns are severely devalued. Rarely do automatics come back.

In actuality, it's a bad habit and not a problem with the frailty of the gun. New comers to O/U shotguns tend to be rough on the guns. Don't know particularly why. Maybe lack of instruction. Most common problem is the opening lever getting stuck from continually slamming the actions shut.

The feather weights from Browning are an option, but it falls in the same price point as a Sig TR series for example. The Sig is better built, richer wood finish (higher grade too) and is still hair splitting lighter. Our poster only has just over a grand to spend too. Guns like the Browning feather series and the Sig TR are out of his ball park.

At the price point the the poster is looking at, the Franchi O/U's are the best deals in town. And they are as light as the higher grade guns. I'm a "light" freak, so my opinion may vary greatly from others.

Gabriel
Old January 25, 2002, 06:43 PM   #16
addecus

which shotgun

Check out Jaqua's Fine Guns, they have some as new Citoris for about what you want to spend. When they state the condition of the gun they don't exaggerate.
Old January 26, 2002, 11:32 PM   #17
Gary H

I prefer O/U, but I'm a rather new shooter. Have both semi-auto and O/U. I shoot for fun and my 20 gauge O/U seems to be the most fun. The weight in an O/U is moved a bit rearward. I would suggest that you handle as many guns as possible and shoot'em if the owners allows. I did have a problem with my Fabarm O/U when the second barrel would refuse to shoot, so it is going back to H&K when I get a chance. Whatever you get, make sure that it is properly fitted.
Old January 27, 2002, 12:08 AM   #18
Validpoint

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback, folks!!

Did some looking around this weekend, got it narrowed down to the Benelli Super Black Eagle or the Beretta 686 Onyx, as far as feel and fit go. Now if I could find a way to shoot 'em both...

Greg
Old January 31, 2002, 09:57 PM   #19
Dogjaw

Need to get what "points" best. My best bird shooting is done with a (now don't laugh) 27 year old Stevens 2-3/4" side by side with 2 triggers. The first barrel is modified and the second full choke. When I pull it up, I don't even see the front bead. It just points. I like the fact of having the 2 choke option. If a bird flies early, I simply give him a dose out of the full choke. Just one shot doing that? Isn't that all it's supposed to take? If I miss, it's an incentive to make the next one count. Heck, I've got an uncle who can get two shots off at a pheasant with a single shot 20 ga. Carries the second shell in his left hand.
Old February 1, 2002, 06:05 AM   #20
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I'm not laughing, Dogjaw. Sounds like a great bird gun to me. I've used a coupla SXS shotguns in the field, and they've done well. And one of those was a relative of yours,a "Ranger" made by Savage/Stevens in the late 30s-early 40s. Decent shotgun, and the kin who has it now likes it.

You made a good point. Fit has much to do with effectiveness.