The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 9, 2017, 11:01 AM   #1
Carmady

Is the current LCP (not LCP II) the same as the Gen 2 LCP?

TL;DR version:
Are these current production LCP's (not LCP II) made the same as the older Gen 2 LCP's?

Special Columbus Day Edition:

A while back the price on a new LCP (Gen 2 with "good" trigger) dropped from around $300+/- to about $220. Iirc, Ruger's explanation was that they found a less expensive way to make it. Rumor had it that the Gen 2 LCP was on its way out.

Then came the LCP Custon, and later the LCP II.

But there're still tons of Gen 2 LCP's. Now Ruger offers them in all colors.

Are these current production LCP's (not LCP II) made the same as the older Gen 2 LCP's?
Old October 9, 2017, 01:17 PM   #2
DaleA

Here's a good thread about the LCP and the various improvements made to it.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...=lcp+ii&page=2

I got so interested in the LCP that I put together the following:

1. Original LCP 2008-2012 (gen 1)
2. Next LCP 2013-2015--bigger sights, different trigger, no dash in serial number. (Actually thru today...not just 2015) (gen 2)
3. 'Custom' LCP--Big Red Trigger (BRT), even bigger sights.
4. LCP II--2016 to ???. Hold open after last shot fired. Safety lever built into trigger is easiest way to visually identify the LCP II. (Besides of course the big 'LCP II' printed on the side of the slide.)

FWIW in Gander Mountain (which is kind of going out of business) had an original LCP for $150. This was last spring, June '17. Cabela's has the no dash LCP usually for $200 and had a sale a couple months ago where they went for $180.

P.S. I think the LCP gen 2 is the same today as it was when it came out but I'll certainly defer to any Ruger expert that has other information.

Last edited by DaleA; October 9, 2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old October 9, 2017, 02:10 PM   #3
Model12Win

Also don't forget Ruger doesn't want you to carry an LCP-II with a round in the chamber.

FWIW.
Old October 9, 2017, 03:40 PM   #4
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win View Post
Also don't forget Ruger doesn't want you to carry an LCP-II with a round in the chamber.

FWIW.

Just like the original LCP... can download the manual on their website; page 15.

Same graphic and warning on page 14 of the LCP II manual.

I carry my LCP with a round in the chamber, and would do the same if I get the LCP II. It’s called getting a quality holster.
Old October 9, 2017, 04:40 PM   #5
Carl the Floor Walker

I have been shooting the LCP's since they first came out.
They had the Original LCP with the long trigger pull, then they also came out with the custom which had a trigger blade enhancement, and a slight improvement in sights.
They discontinued that model.
Then the LCP Gen 2 came out with a very much improved trigger. Actually the best of all they have produced.
The Most recent is the LCP ll, with a slight cosmetic grip improvement or feel and last round open. The also move away from the great trigger on the LCP gen2 to the striker fired Trigger it now has. It is not a trigger many like especially folks that had the Gen 2. Many, myself felt it to be a extremely unsafe trigger and were surprised that Ruger which normally advocates safety went the route.

By the way the Gen 2 is still being manufactured now, in a Plant located in North Carolina.
Personally, I was really disappointed in Ruger for not going after major changes in the firearm. I really wanted them to build a top quality gun that would last for years. No more cheap aluminum frames/Chassis. Make the gun all stainless steel. Make the gun Modular, beef up the barrel, make it heavier, go from Carbon steel to Stainless, and go back to the Gen 2 trigger.

I still own One LCP, but it is in retirement and only shoot it occasionally. I would advise that if you wanted a LCP to get the Gen 2. I have seen the New model LCP ll now as low as $220.00. I huge step down for a relatively new model from almost $300.00. I think even Ruger knows they made a mistake on this one. People are looking for better quality now, and Ruger needs to come out with something really special.
Old October 9, 2017, 06:47 PM   #6
Carmady

Thanks fellas.

The LCP manual says to "unload" the LCP when not in use, and that includes the mag. Likely a CYA move on their part.

Looking into the future I see a day coming when people will be bragging about how much better the Prescott, AZ guns are than the NC guns. The "AZ Gen 2 LCP's" will bring big bucks, kinda like P&R S&W's.
Old October 9, 2017, 08:47 PM   #7
Screwball

Same one in both manuals.
Old October 10, 2017, 09:45 AM   #8
Laz

Quote:
move away from the great trigger on the LCP gen2 to the striker fired Trigger it now has.
Slight correction. The LCP II is not striker-fired. It is still hammer fired but with a fully cocked hammer. I know you know that but just clarification.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.