The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 5, 2017, 11:28 AM   #1
bm303

Should I buy a PPS M2 for $300?

Hey all. Currently carrying a LCP in the pocket 90% of the time and a PCR 10% of the time. I am very thin and lanky and wear relatively tight clothes. More often than not I am wearing shorts too thin to really support a PCR. I am thinking that I might compromise with a single stack polymer 9mm and start carrying IWB more often.

The PPS blows away the competition from just handling it. I also require either a hammer or some sort of indicator for reholstering, and the PPS M2 has just that.

Do you all think its worth owning a single stack 9 in addition to a double stack? Or is the difference just so negligible that I should stick with pocket carry the majority of the time?

If anyone has anything good or bad to say about the PPS, do let me know. For $299 out the door I find it hard to pass this price up. I could also sell my PCR for around $750ish or even more, and just keep the SP-01 for HD and carry either the PPS or the LCP. Any input would be great. Thx!
Old October 5, 2017, 11:45 AM   #2
sigarms228

I have the original PPS 9MM and just love it. It has become my primary CCW pistol. I have double stack pistols that I also CCW including a Glock 19 and HK P30SK but the thinness of the PPS equals supreme all day CCW comfort and I do so with the 7 round magazine but the 6 round magazine is great for deep concealment.

For me my PPS is as good a shooter if not better than some of my full size pistols. I won't CCW a pistol that I don't have high confidence in my shooting ability with it and my PPS delivers that in spades. The PPS is not a light pistol for its size because of its steel sub frame but IMO that is what makes it such a sweet and accurate shooter.

IMO the PPS is one heck of a bargain for $300.

Old October 5, 2017, 12:38 PM   #3
JMag1

Buy. It. NOW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 5, 2017, 08:28 PM   #4
Slimjim9

$300 is a steal for a new (or even responsibly used) M2. My favorite single stack 9.
Old October 5, 2017, 09:51 PM   #5
DubC-Hicks

Sportsmans outdoor superstore has the PPS M2 with night sights on sale right now for $319 if anyone's looking.
Old October 5, 2017, 11:37 PM   #6
bm303

Quote:
Sportsmans outdoor superstore has the PPS M2 with night sights on sale right now for $319 if anyone's looking.
Dang! I just bought the regular edition from Gunbuyer. I had to pay sales tax. So I could have had the PPS M2 LE for free.

No big deal, as I plan on buying aftermarket night sights anyways, and I hear the LE sights are not true night sights.

Just ordered these: https://amazon.com/Meprolight-Walthe...-no-redirect=1

Last edited by bm303; October 6, 2017 at 12:02 AM.
Old October 6, 2017, 05:53 AM   #7
OhioGuy

I think you should, and you'll find yourself carrying it almost exclusively. I started out with a double-stack XD subcompact, which is actually quite concealable. But it was pretty bulky for certain situations and it just got heavy after a while. So I got a .380 S&W Bodyguard. I never ended up training much with it, and I never had the confidence to really carry it. I found it too easy to fumble on the draw because of its tiny size.

I got the PPS M2, and the weight difference vs. the XD is considerable, especially when loaded. It's actually much easier to conceal despite the seemingly small difference in dimensions. I usually carry with the 6-rd flush magazine and honestly don't find it much harder to shoot accurately with that shorter grip, because my little finger wraps securely under the grip. But the 7-rd mag is easy to conceal also. Carrying the gun and a spare mag (or even two) is pretty easy.

I got the LE version, then realized that I don't like phosphorescent glowing sights. I replaced with XS sights and love them.

So for $300, yeah, I'd get it. I carry in a Vedder Light Tuck holster (AIWB) and it's great. If you carry AIWB, suggest you order a neoprene wedge from JM Custom Kydex. It helps a little with concealment but mainly with comfort.
Old October 6, 2017, 07:38 AM   #8
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigarms228:
For me my PPS is as good a shooter if not better than some of my full size pistols. I won't CCW a pistol that I don't have high confidence in my shooting ability with it and my PPS delivers that in spades. The PPS is not a light pistol for its size because of its steel sub frame but IMO that is what makes it such a sweet and accurate shooter.
Agree 100% with the above comments, my own PPS-M2 is probably the best combination of "shoot-ability" and "carry-ability" that I know of. I've tried the S&W Shield and the Glock 43 which are both excellent, but I think I hit the targets better with the PPS-M2. Just "MHO" and "YMMV", fine with me if anyone disagrees.

Last edited by JDBerg; October 6, 2017 at 07:47 AM.
Old October 6, 2017, 03:42 PM   #9
allenomics

The PPS M2 is an outstanding carry pistol. And it is heavy enough to limit recoil, and that in part makes it a dream to shoot on the range, unlike lighter pocket pistols. Single stack; still enough cartridges; and there are three magazine choices that can increase your capacity. My PPS M2 is a keeper. At $299 out the door, you got lots of bang for your buck!
Old October 6, 2017, 03:50 PM   #10
VoodooMountain

A single stack 9mm opens up more carry options for you and potentially more comfortably to boot.

I just ditched an lcr in favor of a pps classic a couple more the ago. Normally carry a 26 but the pps opens up more options which is always a good thing.

Pps or shield are the best single stacks for the money in my opinion.
Old October 6, 2017, 05:21 PM   #11
Siggy-06

I looked at a lot of different single Stack 9's and went with the XDS. Just felt a little more solid and liked the sights a bit better. The pps m2 was my second choice.
Old October 6, 2017, 06:10 PM   #12
bm303

Alright, I ordered it, plus the MeProlight night sights, Talon grips, and now just to decide on a holster. Leaning toward the Vedder Light Tuck, that way I can experiment with IWB and AIWB.

I did order the Dara last night but am trying to cancel the order. It seems like the Vedder is more customizable in terms of cant, ride height, and thus AIWB use. I doubt I'll carry AIWB without a hammer, but it is an option.

I am leaning toward selling my PCR. Waiting on an offer from a local friend. But I also feel like in the future that is the perfect travel gun. I rarely travel but lugging around the SP-01 is too heavy. I'd rather have the PCR with a spare 19 rounder for traveling than the PPS or the SP-01. I already have too many guns but I know I'll regret selling any of them. I promised myself I was stopping at 2. Well, the 4th has been ordered. Lol
Old October 6, 2017, 09:41 PM   #13
Mosin44az

I used to think 4 guns was a lot also. That was about 20 guns ago....
Old October 6, 2017, 11:12 PM   #14
OhioGuy

One "feature" of the PPS M2 is that the firing pin protrudes far out the back of the slide when the trigger is being pulled. I keep my thumb over the pin when holstering the gun. If it begins to protrude you'll certainly feel it. It's somewhat similar to being able to keep a thumb over the hammer. Maybe similar is a poor choice of words, but it's a tactile feedback about the condition of the gun.
Old October 8, 2017, 03:52 PM   #15
Jack19

M2 > M1

Grip is better. Sill back-strap safety is gone.
Old October 8, 2017, 05:18 PM   #16
bm303

Quote:
One "feature" of the PPS M2 is that the firing pin protrudes far out the back of the slide when the trigger is being pulled. I keep my thumb over the pin when holstering the gun. If it begins to protrude you'll certainly feel it. It's somewhat similar to being able to keep a thumb over the hammer. Maybe similar is a poor choice of words, but it's a tactile feedback about the condition of the gun.
That's what sold me on this gun. I refuse to own striker fired guns because of the lack of a hammer for holstering. A thumb over the pin is enough to prevent the trigger from being pulled, and tactile enough to feel something in the trigger. Every striker fired gun should have this feature.
Old October 8, 2017, 08:16 PM   #17
Fishbed77

Quote:
M2 > M1

Grip is better. Sill back-strap safety is gone.
But superior paddle mag release is replaced with inferior button release.
Old October 8, 2017, 10:09 PM   #18
VoodooMountain

I really wish I could have a pps withe m2 grip texture and m1 classic paddle release.
Until then I'll just stick with the m1 classic.
Old October 9, 2017, 07:33 AM   #19
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm303 View Post
That's what sold me on this gun. I refuse to own striker fired guns because of the lack of a hammer for holstering. A thumb over the pin is enough to prevent the trigger from being pulled, and tactile enough to feel something in the trigger. Every striker fired gun should have this feature.
Surely somewhere, someone who reminds you that "the only safety is between your ears" will concoct a scenario in which you're down to your last round, all your limbs have been sawn off and gravity has been reversed, and THAT is when the protruding firing pin will prevent the gun from firing to save your life, and YOU WILL SURELY DIE.

But I do agree, this is a feature and not a bug. My other gun is an XD, and I found the grip safety to be useful for exactly this purpose too--put your finger on the back of the slide (as you'd do if a hammer were there) and you disengage the grip safety when holstering. I actually like the PPS design better because while it is possible to grip the gun incorrectly and mess up the grip safety, you can't do that with the PPS.
Old October 14, 2017, 04:11 PM   #20
bm303

Just got my Vedder light tuck.

Well, my first impressions of the PPS in a light tuck at 3:30 are disappointing. Compared to my PCR in a ACE-1 Gen 2 Black arch holster, its almost zero difference. Printing wise is slightly worse if I bend over with the PCR. Weight I notice a very, very slight difference with the PCR. It seems like I may have made a mistake and I should have just focused on my PCR for IWB and LCP for pocket carry.

The good news is I got this setup so cheap that I can sell it to a friend for cost I am sure, if I decide to go that route. I really was expecting more comfort from a Single stack 9 compared to the PCR, but there really isn't much of a difference to me, and I get 15 rounds vs 7 with the PCR.

My thoughts are that if I am dressed for IWB I will simply carry the PCR, and if I can't IWB I can pocket carry my LCP in any attire. The intermediary single stack might not be be necessary. Either way, it's a cool gun for the price I got it. Will get it out to the range this week.
Old October 14, 2017, 07:46 PM   #21
sigarms228

I find significant more comfort with my PPS being so thin compared to my Glock 19 which is about as thin a double stack 9MM pistol there is. As far as the Vedder Holster it could be because of the low mount on the belt clip which IMO adds more bulk to the holster than necessary and IMO does not hold as tight to the body as a high mount clip like on the Ozark IWB kydex holster I use. Of course a good gun belt always helps with CCW comfort IMO. I wear a Beltman Bullhide belt but there are a lot of good ones available.

Old October 14, 2017, 10:25 PM   #22
brian33x51

I bought a foxtrot tuckable iwm concealment holster recently for my shield (very similar to the vedder light tuck but with a plastic clip). The holster itself definitely pushes the belt out, but the firearm itself prints no differently from the much thinner backhawk arc holster I had been using.

My main beef with the high mount single clip style is that while many are cantable, you end up being stuck with their ride height. For some samples I've tried the ride is too high which makes the grip print more on me and makes the firearm feel less secure.