The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 30, 2016, 06:32 AM   #51
Mike Irwin
Staff

I thought it was funny as all get out.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 30, 2016, 06:47 AM   #52
kozak6

Quote:
Word I'm hearing is that the MSRP is $699.

If that's true, that's not bad at all.
That's wild.

I was honestly expecting some ridiculous $1200 price tag. I never would have thought that Colt was willing to throw down with S&W and Ruger in the revolver market.

Quote:
To me, all prices go up over time, especially when people find out something is a good value for the low price. It happened to the SKS, it happened to the Mosin-Nagant, and it'll happen to other guns I'm currently trying to add to my collection before people figure out they're not crap for under $200.
Those are poor examples. US SKS prices are artificially high. Chinese and Russian SKS's have been banned from import, and the remaining nationalities dried up. Current import SKS's in Canada are still somewhere around $150.

Mosin Nagants are military surplus of finite production and have been under $100 for almost 100 years, even corrected for inflation. They've only dried up in the past several years, leading to recent price increases.
Old December 30, 2016, 08:21 AM   #53
SaxonPig

Here's the ad. Knew it would be stainless, knew it would not be as elegant as the older models. But very excited to see Colt back in the DA revolver market.

Old December 30, 2016, 12:33 PM   #54
DPris
Member Emeritus

The only way Colt could have gone was with a revolver to compete with Smith & Ruger, as I've said along the way.

Nothing surprising about it.
Denis
Old December 30, 2016, 12:50 PM   #55
buck460XVR

Quote:
Knew it would be stainless, knew it would not be as elegant as the older models.
I dunno, IMHO, still prettier than a Ruger.

Quote:
Those touches and with such a low entry price causes one to lack optimism about the true quality of design and materials or finish.
I dunno again, IMHO, a $699 MSRP on a .38+p only revolver is not that low.

Quote:
Of course, maybe they can justify it as only a snub nose for close-in duties.
I think that is exactly what they are doing. Again, the biggest market for DA revolvers right now is for SD/CWC use, and this seems to be the market Colt is targeting with their first DA introduction. Smart choice and a great way to test the waters, cause of they can't make it there, odds are they won't make it anywhere in the DA revolver market.
Old December 30, 2016, 01:06 PM   #56
jackmoser65

Quote:
Maybe I'm being hard on Colt here, but I'm not like some people here who value a gun on it's collectable ability or potential value in the future. To me, all prices go up over time, especially when people find out something is a good value for the low price. It happened to the SKS, it happened to the Mosin-Nagant, and it'll happen to other guns I'm currently trying to add to my collection before people figure out they're not crap for under $200.

Do I base a lot of my dislike on people's experiences with Colt guns in the past? Yeah, but for the prices people paid for them, I expect them to receive a product that's not defective. I remember last year on another forum someone was asking about whether to get a Uberti SAA clone or a Colt SAA. Of course, everyone on a gun forum being hardcore enthusiasts, all except for me and a few others said get the Colt because... COLT! And because of the difference in the steels which is a pointless statistic to me as I've never heard or read of anybody complaining about the Uberti Cattleman in any way other than it wasn't a... COLT!

Someone who spends $1500 on a Colt is putting that right in the safe and you know what? Guns should be bought to be shot. I know, some must think that sounds silly.

Given Colt's recent financial issues and lack of ingenuity, those who really want to get their hands on a newly made Colt might want to grab these up quick, because if they don't sell, Colt's going to have put a lot of money into something that didn't sell and they may never bother with DA revolvers again, if not just close its doors for good.

If you want my guess on the quality Colt will deliver, I expect it to be on par with that of good Taurus with a price tag more than a S&W.

I liked Colt, the Colt of the 1800's and early 1900's that were literally on the cutting edge of firearms technology and were of the highest quality. Then at some point in time, Colt rested on its laurels and lived off the military contracts and left innovating alone. While it's nice to see Colt getting back into the DA revolver market, I know if I went to the Colt booth at SHOT show next month and asked them what makes it better than what Smith or Ruger make now, I'd get the same answer... It's... A... COLT.
How many Colt revolvers have YOU owned? Since you're one of the most vocal critics in this discussion, perhaps it's because you've been burned by a bad Colt? Or are you just repeating interweb nonsense?

I've had Colt's that lacked in every way imaginable. I've had 1911's that didn't work without gunsmith tuning, Pythons that needed too much maintenance and single actions that were gritty on the inside and poorly polished on the outside. Those days are long gone. The current crop of 1911's, SAA's and New Frontiers are among the best to ever bear the Colt name. The past is irrelevant to all but interweb critics who seek to find fault so they can sound like experts but fall short on real experience. What matters is that right now, Colt builds a very good handgun and I expect this to be no different. From $1500 1911's to $5000 factory engraved SAA's, I buy all my guns to use.
Old December 30, 2016, 01:56 PM   #57
dgludwig

Colt making revolvers again, no matter how ugly and/or expensive some seem to think they are or might be, is a very good thing, imo.
Old December 30, 2016, 02:35 PM   #58
snubbyfan

If the MSRP is $699 that's 2x the price I paid for my S&W 638. I strongly doubt the Colt will be 2x better. No thanks...I'll stick with the Smith.
Old December 30, 2016, 03:12 PM   #59
Model12Win

The Colt's has three things working for it that the others just don't have:

1: One extra round
2: Pony
3: COLT'S.

While the first point is a bonus, the last two are why this revolver will be automatically better than anything else in production. It is the only way.
Old December 30, 2016, 03:30 PM   #60
TruthTellers

Quote:
The Colt's has three things working for it that the others just don't have:

1: One extra round
2: Pony
3: COLT'S.

While the first point is a bonus, the last two are why this revolver will be automatically better than anything else in production. It is the only way.
Armscor/Rock Island M206 is a 6 shooter, so it's not like the Colt is the only snubbie on the market with a 6 round capacity. Honestly, for the price though, if I wanted to part with that kind of money, I'd rather... pony up for the Kimber K6s in .357 Mag.
Old December 30, 2016, 03:33 PM   #61
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmoser65
How many Colt revolvers have YOU owned? Since you're one of the most vocal critics in this discussion, perhaps it's because you've been burned by a bad Colt? Or are you just repeating interweb nonsense?

I've had Colt's that lacked in every way imaginable. I've had 1911's that didn't work without gunsmith tuning, Pythons that needed too much maintenance and single actions that were gritty on the inside and poorly polished on the outside. Those days are long gone. The current crop of 1911's, SAA's and New Frontiers are among the best to ever bear the Colt name. The past is irrelevant to all but interweb critics who seek to find fault so they can sound like experts but fall short on real experience. What matters is that right now, Colt builds a very good handgun and I expect this to be no different. From $1500 1911's to $5000 factory engraved SAA's, I buy all my guns to use.
I've never owned a Colt and don't plan on ever owning one made in the last 70 years. The only Colt's that interest me are the Police Positive in .32 S&W Long and the New Service in .45 Colt, which haven't been in production since before my parents were born.

By the way, the way you talk up the new Colt's makes me think you work for them.
Old December 30, 2016, 04:32 PM   #62
RickB

Love Colts.
Have some over 100 years old, some made during world wars, some made this century, and they've all been great so no reason to think the new revolver won't be a good gun, too.
Old December 30, 2016, 05:15 PM   #63
Ricklin

Love that Pony

When I finally decided to get an AR, the Pony had to be on it.
I have yet to fire the darn thing I bought it while I still could. Our WA state AG is working on a ban.

If I choose not to keep it I think the Pony will help out a little at resale time. I really like my 03 in .32 ACP. Traded in to it from an old Police positive special that would not hit a barn door, from inside the barn. It's getting hard for my 60 YO eyes to pick up the sights on the 03, but when I can it's quite accurate.

One can see the bones of the 1911 in the 03.
Old December 30, 2016, 06:56 PM   #64
jackmoser65

Quote:
By the way, the way you talk up the new Colt's makes me think you work for them.
Unlike yourself, I don't feel the need to either deride or defend a brand based only on blind loyalty or uninformed opinion. You must have missed the part where I said I've had several bad Colts. You know, from the days that they turned out a few turds?

Some of us know from experience. Others think they know because they googled it.
Old December 30, 2016, 07:26 PM   #65
Model12Win

Quote:
When I finally decided to get an AR, the Pony had to be on it.
You made the right choice. The Pony sees all, and would be displeased with you if you chose another brand.
Old December 30, 2016, 07:32 PM   #66
redhawk45

The new Colt will have removable and replaceable front sight, and some older D frame wood grips will fit this model as well.
Old December 30, 2016, 07:47 PM   #67
Model12Win

Quote:
The new Colt will have removable and replaceable front sight, and some older D frame wood grips will fit this model as well.
Gucci.
Old December 30, 2016, 10:38 PM   #68
FrankenMauser

Quote:
You made the right choice. The Pony sees all, and would be displeased with you if you chose another brand.
They Pony must be completely irate, then, about me assembling an AR from the cheapest parts I could find, including a [gasp] polymer lower receiver; chopping, hacking, and modifying as desired; using it for two years; and then making a 40% profit.

That poor Pony.
So over-hyped that it can't see past its own arrogance.

Every person in my family, except for myself, has owned at least one, but generally two to five Colts.
Where are they now?
Other than the SP1, they all got dumped for better designs and better reliability.

If Colt is going to succeed in the current market, they're going to have to compromise on quality, and fit and finish; and trade heavily upon their legacy (the "quality" and desirability legacy -- not the mile-long list of bankruptcies, reorganizations, and stupid decisions ).
Old December 30, 2016, 10:56 PM   #69
SaxonPig

Truth Teller, from now on just live up to your name. Any discussion of Colts just post "Don't like 'em."
Old December 30, 2016, 11:12 PM   #70
TruthTellers

Quote:
Truth Teller, from now on just live up to your name. Any discussion of Colts just post "Don't like 'em."
Well Pig, tell me, why SHOULD I like them?

Because... Colt?

Honestly, you tell me something it does better than a Smith or a Ruger LCR other than having an extra round and a Pony on the side and I may change my mind.
Old December 31, 2016, 09:53 AM   #71
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Honestly, you tell me something it does better than a Smith or a Ruger LCR other than having an extra round and a Pony on the side and I may change my mind.
You apparently do not fully appreciate the advantage of that sixth round.

In a real defensive action that does result in shooting, a five round capacity significantly limits the chance of success for the defender; six is a lot better, and seven is better still.

I have settled on eight, and frankly, I would prefer more.

The best application for a five shot defensive revolver is for backup, or as one of a pair.
Old December 31, 2016, 11:29 AM   #72
roashooter

Quote:
Some of us know from experience. Others think they know because they googled it.

so very true!!
Old December 31, 2016, 11:47 AM   #73
buck460XVR

Quote:
Quote:

so very true!!

As of right now, none of us know anything about the new Colt from experience, only what we have Googled or seen in pictures.

One thing I do know from experience is, that the fanboys will love it, even if it turns out to be a remarked Taurus. The haters will hate it even if it is indeed hand wrought from rare unobtainium from Mt Olympus. The rest of us will have a personnel opinion that is derived from neither of the above, and that is all it will be....our opinion.
Old December 31, 2016, 12:16 PM   #74
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMarksman
You apparently do not fully appreciate the advantage of that sixth round.

In a real defensive action that does result in shooting, a five round capacity significantly limits the chance of success for the defender; six is a lot better, and seven is better still.

I have settled on eight, and frankly, I would prefer more.

The best application for a five shot defensive revolver is for backup, or as one of a pair.
Hey, if it's all about that extra round, Armscor/Rock Island .38 is a 6 shooter. Costs about $250 after shipping and FFL transfer.
Old December 31, 2016, 12:28 PM   #75
Chettt

Looks beautiful, may buy one, may not, but the best thing about this is that Ruger and Smith & Wesson will cut their revolver prices to keep Colt out of their domain. Remington brought a small .380 to market and Ruger lowered their LCP price to below $200 because they can and still be profitable. Should be some good deals soon.