The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 7, 2013, 02:09 AM   #1
justplainpossum

Has this happened to anyone else?

Before I got my .45 last week, I mainly used my Ruger Security Six .357 magnum. I had been practicing firing at a target, and I swear I counted six shots. I did a dry fire at the ground, and it was a live shot.

I then shot it again, and the same thing happened; I miscounted. To say that was unnerving is an understatement. Is this something that happens frequently? Should one always fire until they hear a couple of empty clicks?
Old March 7, 2013, 02:17 AM   #2
lowercase

I never count worth a darn, and always make sure I hear a couple of clicks at the end of shooting a cylinder of ammo. The dry fires are pointed at my target, not the ground.
Old March 7, 2013, 02:31 AM   #3
MrBorland

Quote:
Should one always fire until they hear a couple of empty clicks?
eh...no. Learn to count to 6. And do not "check" by dry firing into the ground - open the gun & visually check instead. Or just empty the gun and reload if necessary.
Old March 7, 2013, 02:35 AM   #4
Rainbow Demon

Even Dirty Harry lost count in all the excitement.
Old March 7, 2013, 02:41 AM   #5
justplainpossum

That wasn't very nice, Mr. Borland. I've been able to count to six since at least the eighth grade.

Thank you, Rainbow, I thought the same thing!
Old March 7, 2013, 02:41 AM   #6
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
Is this something that happens frequently?
Only if you load more than six... and/or don't count higher...

Yup, learn to count past six; or only load six.

There is a reason that all of my carry guns have the same basic manual of arms. In the heat of the moment, when that charging rapid rhino with glasses is barreling down snorting fire and brimstone I want to not be confused as to the how's, why's, which's or whatevers.

But, at the range, I just count. (Or on a 1911, one can just wait for the slide to lock back.)
YMMV

Now, go figure...
Old March 7, 2013, 03:14 AM   #7
CajunBass

Happens from time to time. I only load five with a revolver, but even then I'll dump a live round onto the bench sometimes. Doesn't bother me too much, because I've never been one to wave the gun around assuring everybody "It's OK. It's unloaded....SEE!"

I just load six the next time.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old March 7, 2013, 03:28 AM   #8
Carmady

I don't believe pulling the trigger is how you're supposed to see if it's loaded.
Old March 7, 2013, 04:45 AM   #9
Pond, James Pond

Am I doing it wrong?

I just shoot till it clicks, open the cylinder and check each primer has a dent, then I eject the cases into my hand...

Is there a safety consideration I am over looking here?
Old March 7, 2013, 06:18 AM   #10
Baba Louie

You could always check for flinching with the last dry fire or two if accurate counting is not happening. Becomes a win/win sorta in that fashion. Like shooting a 10/22 in that regard.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old March 7, 2013, 06:29 AM   #11
GM2

Quote:
Am I doing it wrong?

I just shoot till it clicks, open the cylinder and check each primer has a dent, then I eject the cases into my hand...

Is there a safety consideration I am over looking here?
I see nothing wrong with that procedure Mr Pond, It's better to be concentrating on the sights and target more than counting shots.

Quote:
I don't believe pulling the trigger is how you're supposed to see if it's loaded
Carmady, You are exactly right on.
Old March 7, 2013, 07:15 AM   #12
Kreyzhorse

There are better ways to check round count than firing into the ground.

If in doubt, and even then, swing the cylinder open and check your rounds.
Old March 7, 2013, 07:31 AM   #13
Newton24b

um perhaps im forgetting something here....

doesnt the manual say "always consider it loaded"

and

"dont pull trigger to see if its loaded or not, OPEN THE ACTION"
Old March 7, 2013, 07:36 AM   #14
MrBorland

Quote:
That wasn't very nice, Mr. Borland. I've been able to count to six since at least the eighth grade.
It's not uncommon for people to click away. NDs aside, it's just loss of style point if it's done at the range. But more importantly, in a serious situation, time spent clicking is precious time that should've been spent shooting or reloading.
Old March 7, 2013, 07:46 AM   #15
cecILL

I don't count, already make too many misteaks.
Old March 7, 2013, 08:40 AM   #16
Carmady

"I don't count, already make too many misteaks."

Same hear.
Old March 7, 2013, 08:53 AM   #17
dahermit

If you shoot as practice for some future encounter, know that, "...how one practices/trains is how one fights...", and as such, we do not fire six shoots slowly. We double tap, therefore, only have to count as high as two, three times. 1,2 assess target or move to the next one, 1,2, assess target or move to the next one, 1,2, reload or run. Firing five or six slow shots had no utility in self-defense or any other realistic scenario.
Old March 7, 2013, 10:10 AM   #18
buck460XVR

Quote:
do not "check" by dry firing into the ground - open the gun & visually check instead.

No matter how good you are at counting, a gun, any gun is always considered loaded and should be visibly checked. Then you can dry-fire.
Old March 7, 2013, 11:03 AM   #19
lcpiper

Quote:
Only if you load more than six... and/or don't count higher...

Yup, learn to count past six; or only load six.
Just checking cause the OP seemed confusing to me as written.

justplainpossum, was this with your .357 or your new .45, and is you .45 a revolver or a semiauto ?
Old March 7, 2013, 01:28 PM   #20
justplainpossum

Icpiper, this was with my .357 Ruger revolver. I have made a couple of safety mistakes (this being one of them), and I was really mad at myself. One of the safety things I did was count, and it was unnerving that that didn't work (I must lose count when I'm thinking about the target, or recoil, or something). From now on I will either fire at the target if I'm not sure, or open and check the revolver.

I did something dumb with my .45 semi yesterday -- it was on my hip, and I sat down in the dirt to videotape a woodpecker, and forgot the gun and got dirt in it! Well, at least that gave me another reason to practice field-stripping...
Old March 7, 2013, 01:36 PM   #21
Carmady

Too much work...just shoot the dirt out.
Old March 7, 2013, 02:05 PM   #22
James K
Member In Memoriam

Counting to six is a fine idea. Until you get an 8-shot revolver.

Jim
Old March 7, 2013, 02:40 PM   #23
rclark

I don't know about your guns, but my Single Actions, all I have to do is tip the gun up (uncocked of course) and look at the cylinder face. The lead bullet(s) remaining is 'easy' to see as they are almost flush with the face. I count... but once in a while I think I've shot six, take a peek and 'no' ... one more is ready to go.... How'd I miscount?
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old March 7, 2013, 03:38 PM   #24
Wild-Bill

I become very smart when I have a gun in my hand. And not in just counting. So far I have not seen a need to point a loaded gun at my head......
Old March 7, 2013, 03:44 PM   #25
m&p45acp10+1

I shoot till there is a click before I open the cylinder if I am just casual shooting. If it is fast paced combat style then I shoot till a click, then a quick reload. If I am in a situation that requires me shooting, the last thing I will be doing is counting shots. I would be doing something like trying to get the heck away, and quickly at that. I open the cylinder, dump the brass, drop in a speed loader full, and close the cylinder.

I will not say anyone is wrong for doing something that they do as long as it is safe, and does not involve acts of blatant, or grossly unsafe acts. To each their own. I never say someone is wrong when they do something that is not the same way I was taught to do it, or the way I do it. Provided it works for them.

If in doubt reload anyway. Worst case you drop a live round on the ground to have to pick up.