The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 24, 2012, 11:05 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Bowfishing!

Maybe the last of my Crossbow threads, at least for a while.

I have always been interested in bowfishing. I know it is usually done with a traditional bow, but what abut a crossbow?

I was told to steer clear of the AMS kit in favor of the Muzzy, but I don't see what is wrong with the Bohning kit. For that matter, not sure why I cant get a reel off one of my fly rods and attach it. Would need different line, but..

Probably won't use it until Spring, but I want to keep an eye out for whatever I select on sale or begin experimenting if I rig something.

Anyways, your thoughts?
Old November 25, 2012, 01:32 AM   #2
alex0535

I want to buy or build myself a sling bow. It is basically a slingshot modified to shoot arrows, and can be further modified to be used for sling bow fishing. They are honestly a lot of fun to shoot, surprisingly powerful and straight shooting. Aiming is purely instinctual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyxjnDNHW7Y

Would be fun with access to fish that can be lured to the surface easily. Carp would be an easy target, catish might as well.
Old November 25, 2012, 08:54 PM   #3
johnwilliamson062

Very interesting. I expect to make one of those this week. I already have the slingshot so shouldn't be too difficult. Was actually considering this for squirrel hunting while I was out, but couldn't think of a good way to make the rest in the field. My guess is I could fare much better on squirrel with it.

"Stainless swivel" I could not see this clearly in the video and although I fish some I have only fly fished in the last decade or more and was unfamiliar with the nomenclature. I guessed it was one of these and that does seem to be the case.

not sure if it is legal in Ohio.
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/9/pdf/pub084.pdf
Old November 25, 2012, 09:08 PM   #4
alex0535

Yea that is a swivel. They sell them in various sizes at any place that sells fishing equipment.

For bow fishing I think that you could get away with considering this as a form of archery even if it is not a conventional form of archery. They allow a bow of any weight of pull, and allow long bows and crossbows so why not a sling shot?

You could find a game warden or something just to be sure but as long as you have a fishing license, call it bowfishing and i doubt there would be any problem with it.

It might not be legal for medium sized game, but I have seen video of someone taking a wild boar with one.
Old November 25, 2012, 09:47 PM   #5
johnwilliamson062

Ohio fishing regs say "bow." It is not defined in fishing regs as far as I can tell. Hunting definition is:
Quote:
LONGBOW or BOW means a device for propelling an arrow by means of limbs, and a string which is hand held, hand drawn, and held in a drawn position by hand or a hand held mechanical release. This would include compound and recurve bows.
That is pretty much for deer hunting though. I am going to have to stop in and see my county officer sometime soon so I will just have to ask him about it.