The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 16, 2012, 10:12 AM   #1
Eonion

Does the Smith & Wesson M&P trigger Break?

The Smith & Wesson M&P looks like a great gun. But I have never held one and I guess that the trigger seems a bit weird to me. In my ignorance I may have subconsciously decided that a trigger with a joint in the middle would be prone to problems/breaking. I cannot speak for the gun because it seems to have an excellent reputation, but I can speak for any moving part with a joint at the midpoint. That trigger has a joint at the midpoint.

Are there any known problems with the trigger breaking?
Old September 16, 2012, 12:56 PM   #2
vyse.04

None that I have seen. I wouldn't imagine that it is a high fail item either, or S&W would have came up with a different design all together.
Old September 16, 2012, 01:01 PM   #3
chris in va

Never heard of an issue.

More complaints are about the trigger feel.
Old September 16, 2012, 01:05 PM   #4
Crankgrinder

I have read that S&W had to pay glock and undisclosed ammount for using their pattents without permission, hence the M&P trigger design. Do not own a smith im a bit put off by that goofy hinge in that trigger if not for that id have one now. Then again ive felt that way about the glock style trigger also, but now it doesnt seem so bad. M&P realy is a great looking gun havent heard or read anything bad about that trigger personally.
Old September 16, 2012, 01:38 PM   #5
fastbolt

The hinged triggers haven't been demonstrating any particular susceptibility to breakage.

I say that after having been an owner/user of various plastic framed pistol designs, a firearms instructor for over 20 years (using, and observing others use, various plastic guns) and having been through 9 armorer classes for 4 different brands/types of plastic pistols over the years.

I've heard of some very limited complaints of the plastic pins in the trigger assemblies walking out of the trigger body assemblies ... in 3 different makes of plastic pistols (P99, Glock and M&P), but it's not something you hear happening very often. The companies replace the entire trigger/trigger bar assemblies for any armorers who may come across such an issue, though.

I tend to favor the revolver-like curved trigger face designs of some of the plastic pistols, myself.
Old September 16, 2012, 03:42 PM   #6
Single Six

I haven't heard of it happening with either the M&P or the Glock, but I must admit that I've often wondered the same thing myself. That little pin in the trigger does look like it would be a possible weak spot. It's one of several reasons that I don't own a sample of either of the aforementioned plastic pistols. I know how silly that sounds, especially since I've already said that I've never heard of that pin breaking...then again, the Mile High Swinging Bridge at Grandfather Mountain in N.C. has never snapped in two either. But, I'll be darned if I'm going to walk on it!!!!
Old September 16, 2012, 03:53 PM   #7
ChaseReynolds

I have the .40 and it hasn't broken. I haven't fired but maybe 300 rounds through it but it doesn't feel weak. Also I love the feel of the trigger.
Old September 16, 2012, 04:10 PM   #8
Eonion

Thx for all of the replies so far.
Old September 16, 2012, 11:23 PM   #9
Justice06RR

Its not an issue to worry about IMO. I've owned 2 M&P pistols and i've never heard or experienced this problem.

Of course any abuse on the pistol can break it, but that goes for any other pistol.
Old September 17, 2012, 12:06 AM   #10
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I have read that S&W had to pay glock and undisclosed ammount for using their pattents without permission, hence the M&P trigger design.
They were sued over design elements of the Sigma, but none of that had anything to do with the trigger, or with the M&P line.

I've never seen or heard of breakage on the triggers of the M&P pistols, and I know a few guys who run them pretty hard in competitions. Between that and wider adoption by law enforcement, we'd have heard something if there was an issue.
Old September 18, 2012, 09:22 PM   #11
danez71

It doesnt seem to be a problem but I had heard of it on the MP-Pistol forum when I was a member.

http://mp-pistol.com/mp-pistol-tech-...d-trigger.html

I also found this...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207733

With such veryu few cases... Id guess its the user pulling the trigger with a kung-fu gorilla grip.