The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 31, 2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Winchester_73

Bought a WWI veteran last week with L.K.S. 663. unit marking

While browsing gunbroker about 2 weeks ago, I found this and won. Its a FL Selbstlader aka Langenhan pistol in 32 acp (there was a smaller model in 25 acp and another 32 acp model as well) SN 74089 and all matching. It has a unit marking as pictured, which no one has been able to identify. Many of these were made, about 50k with nearly all going to the Imperial German army but they are seldom seen today. Mine has Crown / N nitro proofs but unlike most others, no Imperial proof. It does have this odd unit / police marking "L.K.S. 663." that even Don Maus himself, author of "History Writ in Steel - German Police Markings 1900 to 1936", was unable to identify. I got this treasure for only $225, a good deal in my opinion.

My WWI collection is coming along, slowly but surely...Top is a real DWM 1917 Navy Luger w a later mag (many Navy lugers are fake) and below is a JP Sauer 1913 with Imperial proof

Last edited by Winchester_73; March 31, 2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old April 1, 2012, 02:38 PM   #2
PetahW

My WAG is that "L.K.S." is the abbreviation for one of these German State Police forces/barracks:

Lander des Kaisertums Salzburg

Lander des Kaisertums Schlesien

Lander des Kaisertums Steiermark

Old April 1, 2012, 05:18 PM   #3
mapsjanhere

Pretty sure the L and K are for Landes Kriminal (state plain cloth division), if the S is for Stelle (office) or for one of the states with S is unclear.
Old April 2, 2012, 03:08 AM   #4
gyvel

What are the grips made of?
Old April 2, 2012, 04:04 PM   #5
mapsjanhere

One more remark, I found a note claiming only about 50,000 FL pistols were made during the war, all for the German army. So the high serial number and lack of imperial markings indicate a post WWI Weimar Republic production (they continues making them throughout the 20s, supposedly assembling some from parts until 1936.
Edit. Promptly found another article stating all that is nonsense, the gun was only built until 1918, but about 10 - 15% of production where civilian and have no imperial markings. Also gives serial number ranges for the different sub-models of the FL.

Last edited by mapsjanhere; April 2, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old April 3, 2012, 10:50 AM   #6
Winchester_73

Quote:
What are the grips made of?
They seem to be wood. They are replaced which is the only beef I have with the pistol. Maybe I should strip them and make them plain brown, they may look better that way.

Quote:
Promptly found another article stating all that is nonsense, the gun was only built until 1918, but about 10 - 15% of production where civilian and have no imperial markings. Also gives serial number ranges for the different sub-models of the FL.
My research said that they were made almost exclusively for the Imperial German army and that they were not made after WWI, which supports the info you have that I quoted. I could see a few being made after WWI from left over parts, but not unil 1936 !?!?
Old April 3, 2012, 02:29 PM   #7
mapsjanhere

From what I gathered 1936 was the last time they appeared in catalogs as "new weapons", probably someone had a large stock they were selling slowly (not surprising as they were obsolete compared to the PP).