The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2011, 09:44 PM   #1
chasep255

Fire Extinguisher in the Reloading Room

I guess I'm just being a bit paranoid but I am worried about the possibility of starting a fire when reloading. I don't smoke or anything but I'm sure there a are still a couple ways this could happen. I wanted to know if any of you keep something like a fire extinguisher near where you reload? If so which type would you buy?
Old February 28, 2011, 09:50 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Can't say that I have a FE anywhere near my reloading bench. It lives in the kitchen...it sees more action there. If you are concerned, I would buy just a basic FE...nothin fancy.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old February 28, 2011, 09:52 PM   #3
DiscoRacing

Dont have one in my loadin room either...

.. just your average sized store buy would do I would think..

.. As I C H has mentioned as well.
Old February 28, 2011, 10:45 PM   #4
hk33ka1

Couldn't hurt to have an extra extinguisher anywhere.

That said I don't get a lot of powder out at once so if it did burn it would likely be done by the time I sprayed it.
Old February 28, 2011, 10:52 PM   #5
kylewood

I've made it a point not to have one.

I've made it a point not to have one in my reloading room/ shop. If she ever catches on fire, I'm going to go get lunch. Then possibly call 911 when I get back.

Wood
Old February 28, 2011, 11:27 PM   #6
Colorado Redneck

Kidde 2.5 lb ABC

Yeah--I have a fire extinguisher in the man cave. Worry a bit about setting the vacume on fire with a live primer or maybe a static charge with a bit of stray powder. We kinda like our house and the cats etc. Would hate myself if I set the house on fire and was too dense to not have an extinguisher handy.
Old February 28, 2011, 11:58 PM   #7
medalguy

None for me. If a fire should ever get going, powder and primers aren't going to need a fire extinguisher. There won't be time to react. I'm with kylewood-- I'm outta there. Don't be between me and the door!
Old March 1, 2011, 12:36 AM   #8
teeroux

Well my reloading room is right next to the kitchen and the fire extinguisher is located at the entrance. So it does double duty.
Old March 1, 2011, 03:31 AM   #9
HiBC

I have one just like is in my boat,a 10 lb Kidde,its ABC rated.
I will have to agree,if something spectacular began,it might be "Feet,don't fail me now"
But then,If I am doing things reasonably well,SOMETIMES,the fire extinguisher might keep the fire out of the powder,etc.Its cheap,it can't hurt.
Old March 1, 2011, 03:48 AM   #10
Dr. Strangelove

Maybe a teeny bit of overkill, but it can't be a bad idea...

Normal ABC is fine, you can use it on whatever happens to be burning.

Follow the recipes, and don't bring burning things into your loading area...
Old March 1, 2011, 07:26 AM   #11
Crashbox

I have a Kidde five-pound ABC extinguisher on the floor next to my bench, and another one about 20 feet away in the laundry room...
Old March 1, 2011, 07:35 AM   #12
ZeSpectre

It's the silver thing on the wall at the left end of the bench.

Additionally my powders and primers are in a metal cabinet on the opposite end of the shop, nowhere near my loading bench or any of my power tools
Old March 1, 2011, 07:46 AM   #13
Sport45

I have a fire extinguisher in the garage and that's my reloading room so I guess I do. No FE that I know of will extinguish a powder fire. but I think it would be handy to have one to try to put out the workbench after the powder has done it's thing. (I never have more than one can of powder in the garage and it's usually a 1# can that I'vce filled from one of the jugs.)
Old March 1, 2011, 09:41 AM   #14
pbratton

Yup. A little extra insurance never hurts. Have it in case I need it, hope to never use it. (kinda like the handgun I carry...)
Old March 1, 2011, 09:59 AM   #15
Double J

My loading bench is in my shop, away from the house. I keep a pair of FE at hand since the shop is used for other work as well. My powder and primers are kept in another room away from heat or sparks. I do all I can to keep a clean work area. No spilled powder, etc. around where I'm working. And I've got good insurance.
Old March 1, 2011, 01:27 PM   #16
CowTowner

I have one in my reloading room. Safety first, second and always.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old March 1, 2011, 01:47 PM   #17
BigJimP

Yes,

I keep two of them on the walls of my shop / reloading room - one just inside the door to my shop / reloading room ...and its about 3 steps from my re-loading bench ... / the second one at the other end of the shop ....

just a good brand of ABC extinguisher is fine ( dry chemical ) ....and I think mine are 3 lbs ...
Old March 1, 2011, 02:05 PM   #18
ADIDAS69

Sprinklers

Powder and primer compounds are self oxidizing. your best bet for saving the structure is a sprinkler system. An emergency manual activation valve is best so that you can activate it faster than the fire can. And another thing activate it as you're running the hell out the door.

Prevention wise, install a grounding plate. Smokeless propellants are coated to prevent static charge build up, but as mentioned by others prevention never hurts.

NOTE: I have re-loaded 23,000 cartridges with only 1 accidental primer detonation. If you pay attention to what your doing you should be fine.

Last edited by ADIDAS69; March 1, 2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old March 1, 2011, 02:08 PM   #19
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowTowner
Safety first, second and always
I've always wondered about the safety first mindset. Mind you, I'm not against safety, but some of the things I've done in the past, it's impossible to be completely safe. Minimize risk, absolutely, but safe? Not so much.

As I get older, I'm convinced that something is going to kill me, and while I'd just as soon delay the festivities, it is inevitable. I'm coming more to the mindset of Mike Rowe, who says Safety Third.

But, to answer the original question, no, I don't have a fire extinguisher in my reloading room. I try to do all the safe things like having a limited amount of powder out at any one time, don't let sparks or flame get around open powder, yada, yada, yada, but ifi something catches fire, I'm hurrying my butt outta there.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old March 1, 2011, 03:30 PM   #20
FrankenMauser

I keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen.

You won't find one in my reloading room.
Kitchen fires are FAR, FAR more likely.
Old March 1, 2011, 03:35 PM   #21
abber

Mine is at the ready. Guess I shouldn't smoke while I'm dropping charges.

Just kidding. I don't smoke even when I'm not loading. I do all my smoking at the range...

Seriously, though, I do keep one handy at the left end of the loading bench.
Old March 1, 2011, 04:05 PM   #22
madmo44mag

I figured if there was a fire at the loading bench my 1st choice is RUN Forest RUN!!!!
There is never any less than 30+ lbs of powder stored on the bench. (yes I need a fire proof cabinet)
I do have a FE on the floor next to the bench but I suspect as stated above if a fire did break out the safest thing is to get far, far away.
I just don't imagine a powder fire would be easy to extinguish
Old March 1, 2011, 04:28 PM   #23
TimW77

Fire Extinguisher

It is best to keep a fire extinguisher near an area there could be a fire not in the area where the fire could occur.

Like in a kitchen, you don't want to keep your extinguisher immediately next to or OVER THE STOVE.

Since my reloading area is next to my kitchen I keep an extinguisher for it on the wall across from the stove. This makes it accessible for fires in either area.

Tim
Old March 2, 2011, 08:46 AM   #24
kalevatom

Yep!

We also kept them in the kitchen, garage. both vehicles and the tractor.
Old March 2, 2011, 09:58 AM   #25
hunter52

Yes I do. My reloading is done in a small shop away from the house,if I am working outside and should need an extinguisher ,it is closer than the 3 in my house. A powder fire could be extinguished fairly easy,but it would be far better to get any flames out BEFORE they got to the powder.