The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 9, 1999, 05:06 PM   #1
Tango27

Hey guys, I'm looking for a good, yet affordable (circa $70) IPSC holster for my Glock 17. In the limited number of matches I've shot, I've used the Bianchi military UM92 w/o the flap. Now I'm looking for something a little faster. I've seen Hogue, Hellweg, Safariland, Bianchi... Any recommendations/comments?
Old December 9, 1999, 08:18 PM   #2
Daniel Watters

The Safariland 007 in the 'Tactical' (rough Kydex) finish retails for $75. Brownells has it: #797-007-117

If that is too 'trick', and you want something that can also be used in IDPA, consider the Safariland 5181 (#797-518-183) for $69.95.

Old December 10, 1999, 02:56 PM   #3
DblTap

I use the Hogue with the magnets for my G21. Modular assembly so it can be accurately configured for a number of weapons. It accommodates left and right handed shooters. (Disclaimer: Some assembly required, some tools included, batteries not required, batteries not included, the check's in the mail and all the other usual stuff <G> ).

You have to pay attention to the weapon's position when you assume the start position, specifically if you are leaning and the weapon is canted forward. One of the competitors at this years AWARE match in New York was DQ'ed because his loaded Glock fell out of the Hogue holster. The start position was standing behind a table that had targets above and below it. The trick was to stand as far back as possible while still getting your elbows on the table, so you could drop down quickly to engage the low targets.

Well, the holster was set to "full race" (minimum retention setting) and it released the Glock into the sand. (Doooough!!)

The problem was caused by the shooter deciding that he could start with the holster lock at the lowest point. This holster has three retention settings, Full Lock (you can get a serious wedgie if you try and draw with the holster locked in this position, holster, belt and pants all go North at the same time), Semi-Race (you have to push down on the lock bar one more click before the gun comes out) and the "Full Race" position where just the magnets (and gravity) are holding it in.

Bottom line, very fast holster, you just have to glance down at your weapon before actually assuming an unusual start position.

DblTap

[This message has been edited by DblTap (edited December 10, 1999).]