The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 3, 2010, 08:26 PM   #1
SempFi

new at black powder

i have never hunted nor even shot or even loaded a muzzle loader. but it is something i am interested in, i am going to BPS this weekend to buy the rifle and all the gear need. although i really dont know what needs to be on my shoping list.....some help would really be welcomed.

also if there are just some tips anyone has to offer i am all ears
Old March 3, 2010, 09:11 PM   #2
B.L.E.

Are you interested in traditional muzzleloaders because you want to experience the kind of firearms that Davy Crocket used or are you interested in modern muzzleloaders so you can hunt during muzzleloader season?
Old March 3, 2010, 09:17 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

As Ronald Reagan always said, "Well..."

It depends on what you are going to do with the rifle you buy.

Sounds like you are interested in hunting in which case your rifle should match the game you are intending to bag. It is also true that depending upon which state you are hunting your season may change depending upon whether you go Flintlock or Percussion. In some terrains a long reach is important. The folks at the store can sell you the right rifle by asking you about three questions. You might consider buying a used rifle (in good condition) because a lot of times the seller will throw in a bunch of stuff.

You have to have the rifle, powder, ball, caps, patches, cleaning and lubing supplies. You will need some simple tools which should include at least a nipple wrench. I recommend a good supply of Newcastle Brown. Don't forget the safety gear. Eye protection is absolutely indispensible. The hunters I know do not use hearing protection but they always answer every question with, "Huh?"

I would spend a good bit of time reading some of the posts on this forum using the "search" function. There are plenty of good books out there. There is also a lot of good info elsewhere in the net.

I may be the first person to respond but I am far from the most knowledgable. I do not hunt and never did. I think that all deer should be left to peacefully grow into old age so they can move into a deer retirement home and be taken care of by all those deer nurses. I got rid of my last long arm about ten months ago and I have no desire to ever shoot anything with a barrel longer than ten inches.

I will give the other, better informed guys an opportunity to weigh in, but let me close by making sure that I mentioned the Newcastle Brown. Don't take it along when you are shooting. The bottles rattling together will scare off all the deer. I think all deer use hearing protection when they hunt because their hearing is real good. No, save the Newcaslte Brown for when you come home to clean up the rifle.
Old March 3, 2010, 09:57 PM   #4
SempFi

this is going to be the rifle i use after bow season for whitetail, the longest shot i will have is going to be about 150yds "southern Alabama". ahhhh i wouldnt mind if someone took me out before i needed care from some young nurse, im sure that big old buck dont mind either. plus its some FINE eatn'
Old March 3, 2010, 11:36 PM   #5
fastforty

There's a lotta choices out there, depending on how much $$$ you want to sink into it and what style of rifle catches your fancy. I jumped on the BP rifle wagon when I saw a special for a CVA 50cal inline in stainless (maybe nickle?), clampack with starter kit for $99 (yeah, a long time ago). It shoots pretty darn good for a budget entry level cannon. You'll find a few shooters who'll say their rifle is good to 150 yards (& it might be, no offense) but you'll probably be operating in the 80-120 yard range. You'll have a lot more fun sighting it in & trying to get it "on" at 150 yards then you will actually toting it around in the woods. There are many bullet types & weights and they all shoot to a different point of aim. When you take a shot on game, there'll be a BIG cloud of smoke & it'll be several seconds before you can see the area that your target was, so be prepared to have your tracking skills up to par. I later picked up a like new Crocket in 32cal that is a lot easier to tote & a heckuva lot more fun to shoot (and it looks kewler). With round balls it's great for small game (try that with a 50cal, LOL) & with 165gr bullets it has plenty of punch for deer (check your local regulations).
Old March 4, 2010, 08:20 AM   #6
simonkenton

I have done quite a bit of hunting in Georgia with my muzzleloader.
It was unusual to get a shot over 60 yards, had to be on a logging road to get a long shot.
I have a TC Hawken, and used the patched round ball and black powder.
Great combo and lethal on deer.
Old March 4, 2010, 08:47 AM   #7
Doc Hoy

Simonkenton

Sounds like my stompin grounds in Pennsylvania.

Hills, woods, and such. I guess the average buck is 180 to 190 pounds. My cousin took a 210 pound ten pointer with a .45 Hawken flintlock right behind his house. As I recall, in PA, you can't hunt with percussion in doe season but I think you can during the regular season. 30-30s are real popular.

Here in southeastern VA a good sized buck only goes about 130. I don't hunt myself.
Old March 4, 2010, 12:00 PM   #8
simonkenton

Georgia deer are small also.
I have killed 50 Georgia bucks, the biggest was 220 pounds on the hoof and that was a whopper.
Average was more like 130 pounds.
Good eating, though.
And, since the limit is 12, you can eat venison all year long.
Old March 4, 2010, 12:33 PM   #9
ClemBert

IMHO, you have only given yourself 3 days (until the weekend) to figure out what it is that you are going to buy and probably in the end you are not going to be as informed on what you really want/need. My suggestion would be to take it a little slower and do your homework before running out and buying something. Read up on the many black powder forums there are out there and ask specific questions as you narrow down your search list. Again, JMHO.

I'm not into shooting Bambi nor her relatives for sport or meat primarily because given the choice I'd much rather eat chicken, beef, or pork. I do appreciate, however, those who are enthusiastic about BBQ'ed Bambi. I've had my share of venison. Its okay I suppose but I don't get excited about it versus the other choices of critters there are to munch on. I guess it isn't much of a sport shooting BP firearm at chickens and cows. Although, I'd have to say that the thought of hunting for wild boar/hogs sure makes my mouth water.
Old March 4, 2010, 01:14 PM   #10
Doc Hoy

As Usual....

.....I am with Clem on this one because he is a pretty smart guy.

Do a little more reading and talking before you plunge in.

I would also repeat the advice to think about a pre-owned rifle.

The deals are outstanding most of the time. The rifle will likely be well cared for and at any rate you can check that out. And it is very common for the seller to include a bunch of stuff that you would need to buy anyway at great expense.
Old March 4, 2010, 09:03 PM   #11
SempFi

yea i definitely agree on doing more research before buying, i just get so excited when i think of getting a new toy. but there is plenty of time before bambi(boy deer by the way) season opens. i want quality muzzleloader but they are pretty pricey for the concept of muzzle loading, a used one of good quality and decent shape would be nice on the money side, but i know these black powder guns can get pretty dirty and i fear that i may buy a rifle that has been neglected if i order one.
Ive been looking at the break open style by TC they say they are water proof and are allot easier to clean and i would like for it to have iron sights i do not plan on using a scope, and a synthetic stock preferably.
What cal. and round size would be good for AL whitetail?
Old March 4, 2010, 09:30 PM   #12
robhof

robhof

For the longer ranges, you might also consider the Sabot barrel, if legal for B/p season in your state. I got my 1st B/p deer this year with a Hawkins style rifle with a Green Mtn Sabot barrel(a faster twist for sabot rounds) that I got on Ebay. I bought the barrel and stock separately for a total of about $120, the barrel was unfired and for $60 more I got a regular barrel to shoot patched balls and conicals for cheaper practice(the sabots are expensive to practice). You have to use the sabot round you are going to hunt with to sight in your gun, as the conical, patch ball and different wt/brand sabots all have different points of impact.