The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 1, 2011, 12:55 PM   #1
BikerRN

Optics question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm considering two "new-fangled" scopes for my .300 WM build and wanted to get some input before I plunk down my hard earned money.

To start with, I really like my EO Tech on my AR, and favor Red Dot sights. With that said I was looking at the Leupold VX R in 4-12 x 40 or 4-12 x 50 and the Trijicon Accupoint in either a 3-9 x 40 or a 5-20 x 50.

My shooting distance will be 200 - 700 Yards on game and I'm looking for one scope to put on this build to last the life of the gun. Right now I'm using a 4-12 x 40, but not an illuminated reticule or red dot type. I'm leaning towards the Trijicon because it has the post and triangle over the crosshairs. It seems a much more less complex arrangement and I often find myself getting lost in the scope.

Thank you in advance for your help and I look forward to what input you have.

Biker
Old September 1, 2011, 07:49 PM   #2
Jo6pak

1st hand Accupoint Range report

I mounted a 3-9x Accupoint on my Springfield M1A Scout.
I mainly use the rifle for quick engagement type shooting between 40-150 yards. The scope excells at these ranges. It is extremely quick on target, clear view, and great wide FOV at lower settings (I use 3-5x most often)
The post reticle topped with a chevron gives a clutter free sight and can be used like a red-dot at short ranges where surgical precision is not required (like hitting 10" balloons out to 30 yards.)

The drawback of the reticle comes to the fore at extended ranges. It is difficult to judge hold over. With my .308 rifle, it becomes apparent at around 250 yards. When compensating for bullet drop, the post obscures the target, making it difficult to get precision hits.

It's not a huge issue for me, as I seldom shoot farther than 150 yards, but in your OP, you mentioned desiring the ability to accuartley shoot out to 700 yards. Doing this with the Accupoint could be troublesome.

BTW, I just picked up a Nikon 4-16x42mm Monarch with BDC reticle at Cabela's for $380. Not sure if that sale is still going, but if there is a Cabelas in your area, it may be worth a look.

Hope this info helps
Old September 2, 2011, 12:40 AM   #3
BikerRN

Jo6Pack,

Thank you.
Your post helped me a bunch.

Biker
Old September 2, 2011, 09:56 AM   #4
bman940

Scope/ Nikon Monarch Promtion

Yes, the Nikon Monarch Promotion is still going on, only a few more days though. Get $50 instant savings when you buy from an Authorized Nikon Dealer.
Also, if you are stuck on an Illuminated Reticle check out
Nikon's Monarch X 2.5-10x44 Illuminated Reticle. This also has a 30 mm tube for outstanding light transmission, choice of red or green illumination as well.
This is one of the best scopes Nikon makes.
Drop me a note if I can help answer any questions for you.