The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 21, 2001, 02:15 PM   #1
jtduncan

SW 610 Charging Holes Too Tight - Bad Ejection - Hard To Eject Cases!

I was shooting my SW 610 at the range and noticed that it was really really hard to eject my spent cases from the charging holes/chambers in my cylinder. I had to work up some serious force to move the ejector rod. To the point where I was afraid I might bend it.

I was originally having problems ejecting my reloads and some factory Hornady XTP 180 grain JHPs. They slip into the holes somewhat easy but ejection tests your strength.

The primers onthe factory and reloads had a funny appearance to them as if they were overpressured. Even the factory ammo and my reloads were 94 percent of max so there should have been plenty of margin built in.

My range officer suggested just backing off of the charge done to 90 percent or lower. My concern is that 10mm is a hunting rounds and the chambers shouldn't be so tight that I can't eject commonly shot ammo like Hornady XTPs or Corbon Penetrators - at least during deer hunting season.

I just picked up the gun so I don't know its complete history.

Did a search here and people advised a thorough cleaning of all of the charging holes. And SW apparently fixed the problem by polishing the charging holes in the cylinder to ease ejection.

Well, I spet a good 30 minutes cleaning the entire revolver including some serious bore and charging hole cleaning with a brass bore brush and some MP7 gel bore cleaner. It looks brand new.

But I'm still having to exert a lot of force on the ejector rod to eject cases from the charging holes. I loaded my snap caps into a moon clip and even they had a hard time sliding into the charging holes and a hard time ejecting them.

I was thinking about shipping the gun back to SW and having them fix the problem. Heard they are really good about customer service and do great tune-ups. Was going to have them look over the gun for me since it is new to me.

BTW, it is a real tack driver. I need to adjust the sights but my groups were under 2" at 15 yards even with the frustation of the ejection problem and shooting in DA mode with a semi autoloader background. Happy with its accuracy just want better function on the ejection side.

Any other tips?

Last edited by jtduncan; July 21, 2001 at 06:34 PM.
Old July 21, 2001, 05:16 PM   #2
BigG

I think it's normal. Even a 38 Special with a good solid load takes a serious tap on the ejector rod to drive the cases out. 10mm is about twice the pressure. What do you want, egg in your beer?
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old July 22, 2001, 06:52 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

I don't think it's normal. I've owned 44 mags that were very easy to eject. I did have a 29 that had one sticky chamber and I polished it a little and that cured it. If you're sure that the chambers are clean then I'd send it to S&W. They'll either polish the chambers out or change out cylinders. George
Old July 22, 2001, 11:19 AM   #4
jtduncan

My Redhawk with full power deer loads ejects the case with only a tap on the ejector rod.

Sending it back to SW for repair.