The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: When it comes to having one mold only for the purpose?
311041 Lyman 6 100.00%
311291 Lyman 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 18, 2013, 11:16 AM   #1
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Which is the better.

Going to tool up for Spring here. Thinking of casting maybe 200ct 30 cal tips for the old (94) 30-30. I have the ability to G/check and a nice new .311 lube/sizer die required for the bore. Lyman is my first choice for molds. I know there are two bullet molds that Lyman sell primarily for the application > (lever rifles).

1. 311041

2. 311291

So those who have experience in using either. What's your personal preference? Why Sir?

Thanks,

as always all comments are indeed welcome.

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; May 18, 2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old May 18, 2013, 10:07 PM   #2
reloader28

I've only shot the flat nose and it shot pretty decent.
I would pick it just because its a flat nose and I think is a more usefull bullet.
Old May 18, 2013, 10:43 PM   #3
TXGunNut

What do you plan to use the rifle for? I like the wide meplat of the 311041 for hunting.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old May 19, 2013, 12:10 AM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

[QUOTE What do you plan to use the rifle for? ][/QUOTE]
Oh a little of this and that.

Rides behind the seat in my back Country Cadillac. But gets pulled out occasionally at the range Mike. I enjoy shooting it. Unlike my 270__ 25-06 which both sport the use of cheaters (scoped.) That old 30 wcf 94 has only original iron to look thru. In the past only jacketed was pushed out its barrel. Its time to make the change to cast__ "Bling bullets as I call them"_
Old May 19, 2013, 09:44 AM   #5
TXGunNut

I like wide meplats for hunting bullets, that's why I asked about your plans. I think the 311041 will serve you well. Somebody's bound to come along and tell you the 311291 isn't safe in a tubular magazine but I won't go there. Be sure you clean the bore good to get all that copper out.
311291 is an old classic and I may try it in my 30-06 if the 311041 doesn't work out.
NOE did a run of 311041 moulds late last year with an improved 311041, had a fatter nose. May be able to find one of them. Ranch Dog also had a mould designed with your 94 in mind but I was working with a 336 at the time.
Old May 19, 2013, 11:26 AM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

Where is the get both vote at? Then whenever you decide which you like better you can gift the other to me.
Old May 19, 2013, 05:27 PM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
Tex Gun Nut said: NOE did a run of 311041 moulds late last year with an improved 311041, had a fatter nose. May be able to find one of them.
I'm sorry if I called you Mike Sir. I get you and Mike /Tex cross-wired occasionally. Anyhow. NOE molds are indeed nice. Those who have one won't part with it. And those wanting one have such a long long wait to get one. I would be tickled to have a 041 NOE mold. But at my age I can't afford too long of a wait for anything period. As it might become part of my sons in inheritance if you get my drift.___ As far as a Ranch Dog mold. Didn't that gentleman close up his shop a year or two ago?

Again as far as the nose profile on a 311291. we~ll we both know the score on that precautionary don't we._
Answering your question a little more precisely: This rifle I carry in my truck is available for one of those spare of the moments decisions. When a small caliber rifle really comes in handy for yard varmints and alike caught in my wife's garden or eating out of the dogs bowl after dark or those unbelievable nasty smelling pole cats outright stinking up the yard. They all get the bums rush!!

Quote:
m&p45acp10+1 said: Then whenever you decide which you like better you can gift the other to me.
Oh sure > You bet Cha!!
Your one of those Tops on my List for that effort. You can take that to the bank _ m&p45acp10+1.

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; May 20, 2013 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Mike and Mike thingy straighten out once and for all I'm hoping
Old May 19, 2013, 11:16 PM   #8
TXGunNut

Well, as it turns out my name IS Mike and Mike/TX and I seem to have similar tastes and experiences. No offense taken, at least by me.
NOE always runs a few extra moulds and he may still have one, just have to contact him and see. Ranch Dog has indeed closed up shop but I've exchanged e-mails with the customer service folks at Lee and they are offering select RD moulds on a special order basis and with enough interest some may become catalog items.
Cast Boolit group buys take a year or two to go from discussion to delivery but sometimes the wait is worth it. NOE can be contacted thru a link on the CB site and Lee can be contacted thru a link on the Ranch Dog Outdoors site. Good info on both sites.
If you'd like to try some 311041 NOE bullets I'm itching to break in that mould even though my thutty-thutty project is suspended at the moment....seems the subject rifle didn't like cast bullets.
Old May 20, 2013, 04:07 AM   #9
Mike / Tx

Quote:
I'm sorry if I called you Mike Sir. I get you and Tx/ Mike cross-wired occasionally.
Quote:
Well, as it turns out my name IS Mike and Mike/TX and I seem to have similar tastes and experiences. No offense taken, at least by me.
As from me, not an issue what so ever. Heck I have such an issue with names it isn't even funny, I have folks at work who have been there for going on a year or more that I can't call by name unless I am looking at them.

I can't help out with the other two molds, as I haven't started into shooting cast in any of my rifles just yet. By coincidence however I did somewhat break in one of the RD TLC311-165-RF six cavity molds just yesterday.
I have to say that after pouring with the MP's for the last couple of months it did have a bit more of a curve than simply pre-heating and pouring out good bullets.

I did manage to get a hundred or so of both air cooled and water quenched to hopefully try out this coming long weekend. Mine will however be run out of a Ruger Compact in .308, and hopefully we'll find a nice fat hog to try them out on as well.

Also, if you are interested and have an alloy in mind I could easily be persuaded into a try before you buy thing myself. Just let me know.
Old May 20, 2013, 08:31 AM   #10
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
Also, if you are interested and have an alloy in mind I could easily be persuaded into a try before you buy thing myself. Just let me know.
No I'm good Mike & Mike Thanks for the offers though.
A working buddy years ago gave me a couple hundred 291s something. Not sure if they are Lyman or Lee? As you know Win 94s love their .310 resized casts. I don't know if there is a problem or not here. I just barely get my .310 die to resize those bullets. .311 die (I mean this die barely touches the casts if at all) but those cast they will accept a g/check nicely and lube up decently without to much bullet lube left behind sitting on-top of their die. Being these 291 casts I have are perhaps a poor example to go by is the reason for this post. I wanted to hear others opinions.
You know how it goes fellows. One guy will say the 041 is a superb bullet for the levers rifle. Another says use the 291 its far more accurate._

It really gets to be confusing which mold is the most appropriate to purchase?

Quote:
If you'd like to try some 311041 NOE bullets I'm itching to break in that mould even though my thutty-thutty project is suspended at the moment....seems the subject rifle didn't like cast bullets.
Oh n~o Marlins like the .311 resized cast especially 336 models w/ there micro-groove.
NOE 041 samples to try: All that bother and postage being as high as it is. No that's OK. I appreciate the offer though Mike. You know one thing I like about casters Sir. More often than not "most of us are willing to help another Brethren out when necessary." and that's a good thing >especially these days.

" My hats off to both you two gents."

S/S
Old May 20, 2013, 10:43 PM   #11
TXGunNut

Oh n~o Marlins like the .311 resized cast especially 336 models w/ there micro-groove. -S/S

The rumors about Marlin MG barrels not liking cast bullets is something casters made up years ago to scare the tourists. Ranch Dog (and likely others) figured out that Marlins like fat bullets and designed a series of moulds that works well with them. Nowadays he likes Rossi's and their properly-dimensioned bores and chambers and has gotten out of the custom mould business.
This rifle had other issues and I wasn't able to identify or correct them. It liked jacketed bullets just fine but it tumbled the RD bullets at 50, some were MIA at 100.
It's all good, pulled the scope, cleaned and lubed her and came back from Cabelas with a NIB 3rd Gen Colt (and a much lighter checkbook). It was a slick old rifle, just not right for this project.
Old May 21, 2013, 12:30 PM   #12
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Oh that's to bad about the Marlin Mike. But hey congratulations on that 3rd Generation Colt Sir._