The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 25, 2012, 02:10 PM   #1
Scout

Colt revolver smith in Florida?

Hi, I've got a Police Positive which needs work. Does anyone now of a competent Colt smith in Florida? Thanks...
Old June 25, 2012, 03:36 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

Colt repair

Sir;
I'd send it directly to Colt!
Harry B.
Old June 25, 2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Fleet

Read the current thread on Python repair, and apply everything there to your Police Positive.

Send it to Colt.
Old June 25, 2012, 08:33 PM   #4
Scout

Thanks! Does it matter that my revolver is a 1920's model? Do they still work on those?
Old June 25, 2012, 09:20 PM   #5
oneounceload

Not sure where you are in central FL, there's a semi retired smith whose dad was also a smith - he's been working on guns for almost 75 years since his dad had a shop. He has parts for guns that even Numrich would envy and he MIGHT be able to work on it if he isn't too busy.

PM for info if interested
Old June 25, 2012, 09:35 PM   #6
Jim Watson

Walt Sherman is a Florida gunsmith known best for his roller bearing conversions but he did conventional action work, too. But that was years ago and I could not find any sign he is still in business.

Anything as far out as a DA Colt, you should not be worrying about the location of a gunsmith, just his knowhow and willingness to tackle it.
Old June 27, 2012, 08:17 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

See if you can find Robert Dunlap. He used to teach advanced revolver repair (Colt Pyrhon action) at Lassen college.
Old June 29, 2012, 06:06 AM   #8
Jerry11826

Google gunsmiths Inverness, Florida. There used to be a guy there that advertised as being a Colt gunsmith. I can't remember when I last saw his ad.

I don't think Colt will work on a 1930's police positive. I called Colt, say five years ago, to inquire about getting one of my Officers Model colt revolvers repaired. I was told they no longer worked on Officers Models. I could not find a gunsmith in Hillsboro county that was willing to work on the revolver.

It also depends on what you need to have repaired. The firing pin attached to the hammer on my PP broke off. I didn't like the pistol and gave it to a friend. He was able to get it fixed for a relatively modest charge, after he was able to obtain a replacement firing pin. All it needed was a new roll pin to attach the new firing pin to the hammer.

If you have a lockwork problem, you have a problem! My Officers Model needed a new hand. I ultimately sent the pistol to Cylider & Slide in Nebraska for repair. I think the cost was $400 - $500 including the shipping.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

Last edited by Jerry11826; June 29, 2012 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old June 29, 2012, 09:44 PM   #9
cooksbunker

colt pp

I tried to get Colt to re-blue my 1948 vintage 1911 and they said they would only work on current production firearms.