The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 16, 2011, 07:32 PM   #1
Foxmann250

Post subject: Remington Model 870 Wingmaster Super Mag

Hey guys,

I just had a minor mishap and ruined my 870 Wingmaster barrel... I was looking at prices to replace it and barrels are running nearly the same as a new gun.

So I have been doing some research and wanted to keep the reliability of my 870, with the more polished Wingmaster (as apposed to the Express) but also upgrade to 3 1/2 in shells...

I found that Remington, for a short while, made an 870 Wingmaster Super Mag, which I think would be ideal for me, however I am coming to find that these are pretty rare.

Does anyone know perhaps where I could look to find one of these rare guns? And maybe tell me how much I would be looking to pay? I have some guns I am looking to sell to make this upgrade...

Thanks
Old December 16, 2011, 07:45 PM   #2
oregunner

The 870 redesign didn't lend itself to the 3 1/2" shell and had reliability and function problems. I would rethink the 3 1/2" thing, really no real need. If you have to get a 3 1/2" pump, look at the Benelli Nova. Mark
Old December 16, 2011, 07:56 PM   #3
Foxmann250

Ya... I've read mixed reviews on them. I was thinking that the higher quality of the Wingmaster vs the Express would make it a better more reliable gun. I really like the feel of the 870 though and the simplicity of the gun makes it easy to clean and take apart even in the field.
Old December 17, 2011, 07:08 AM   #4
Rugerismisticness

Yup, look at the Benelli Supernova (if your looking to spend $$$ on a pump gun). I'm sure that a Wingmaster supermag will run you much more than a SBEII or ExtremaII.
Old December 17, 2011, 08:15 AM   #5
Foxmann250

I was looking to not spend too much... Was hoping that the Wingmaster wouldnt be too much more than the Express. I do have a Miroku Charles Daly that I am looking to trade/sell to get the money for it tho. Estimated around $650 which should do the trick. I love my 870 Wingmaster Mag but with these geese flying higher and higher I feel I need the Super Mag to be able to reach up and touch em
Old December 18, 2011, 01:53 AM   #6
Foxmann250

I saw some ppl say they picked up a Wingmaster Super Mag for about 350-400 which would be decent in my eyes. Benelli's tend to run kinda pricey no?

Been using a Wingmaster my whole life so its what I know...
Old December 21, 2011, 09:57 AM   #7
sweetshot

3.5" vs 3"

Here's a thought on Foxmann's comment about needing 3.5" for higher flying birds; Does the 3.5" shell really increase the effective killing range, or would a 3" shell with larger shot than would be used in the 3.5" shell be as or more effective, (assuming same powder load). Just wondering, as I just read an article on shotshell ballistics that infers heavier (or denser) loads retain the killing energy longer. This would help the 3" argument. Any thoughts?
Old December 21, 2011, 05:17 PM   #8
Foxmann250

This is my philosophy... I have made some incredible shots with a 3" mag. Like pushing 80 yards. When I got the goose, I noticed the only reason it went down was cuz of 1 BB finding its head. I have shot at geese from pretty close other times, seen feathers fly, and watched them fly away.

My thoughts on 3.5" are, even with the same amount of powder, the more BB's there are the greater chance of one finding a kill zone area.
Old January 21, 2012, 09:34 PM   #9
Foxmann250

If anybody has any information on where I can find a Wingmaster Super Mag, or if you have one and want to sell, please PM me! Looking for this gun is like looking for big foot...

Thanks!
Old January 21, 2012, 10:16 PM   #10
j33p3r

Is just your barrel wrecked?
I was looking at buying a combo and would love to make it into 2 guns, would you want to part with the working half for a decent price to put toward the new rig?
Old January 30, 2012, 03:59 PM   #11
Foxmann250

No I would like to keep it and get a new barrel. Nothing performs like my Wingmaster. Its such a great gun. I am sending the barrel to Remington... although I dont know what they're going to do with it. I did just buy a new barrel, but finding a Plain barrel (no vent rib) was super difficult.

Random Question:
How come Remington stopped making Super Mag replacement barrels?
Old May 20, 2012, 06:15 AM   #12
101Winchester

I have had one since they came out. Ordered it through my local gun shop. I would love to know how many were actually made? When people ask about the gun I shoot and I tell them, they all say, I didn't know they made Wingmasters in 3.5". It is a very nice shooting gun, but definately barks with the big shells. I have a problem with it, if I put a 3.5" in the pipe and follow it with two more, when I touch off the first round, the second and third shell feed right into the receiver thereby jamming it effectively. I now run a 3" shell in the pipe to start (when late season hunting) followed by 2 big shells. I shoot it for everything from doves to geese and sporting clays to trap..

From what I can tell by looking at it compared to other 870s is the bolt is basically the same as a normal 870 with the exception of the "dust cover" a shiny thin metal cover outside the bolt. The ejection port is larger to accomodate the 3.5" shells and the chamber is larger.

If Remington came out with it again, I would "port" the barrel and take out the cone to reduce recoil and re-invent the bolt. But the main thing would be to upgrade the magazine shell release would need to be beefed up.

Anyone here venture a guess on what these guns are worth??

Tags
12 gauge , 870 , super mag , super magnum , wingmaster