The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 28, 2002, 01:45 PM   #1
sven

Live .22 round jammed in barrel

I have a live round stuck in the barrel of my .22 conversion.

I've tried gently using a screwdriver to pry the round out, to no avail (being careful where everything is pointing, of course). I put some FP-10 down the barrel and around the brass, let it sit overnight... still stuck.

I'm not sure what to do - any advice?

(The round didn't fire when struck. I recocked and pulled again - no go.... so the brass does have a pin mark on it.)

-sven

Last edited by sven; September 28, 2002 at 02:42 PM.
Old September 28, 2002, 03:39 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

The easiest way I know of is the hydrostatic press method. Remove the bolt. Stuff a rag into the receiver to catch the round. Turn a wood dowel down to fit the bore tightly. Fill the bore with motor oil. Insert the dowel in the muzzle end and smack it with a mallet. The round will normally come out with 3 or 4 attempts. Then you might look at your chamber mouth carefully. It sounds like a swaging job might be in order. George
Old September 28, 2002, 04:53 PM   #3
sven

Thanks for that idea.

So, you don't think that the round might 'go off' when I hit it out from the other side with a dowel? Just a little freaked out that the bullet is 'live'.

Thanks again,

-s
Old September 28, 2002, 05:40 PM   #4
Ledbetter

The bullet IS live

So be careful. Wear safety goggles for sure. I have done as George described, but without the oil, with success.

By the way, the screwdriver prying method is much more dangerous, IMHO. If you compress the rim with your probing, the round could go off. Even if the rim didn't ignite when struck at one point, it could still go off when struck at another point.

If the round isn't in TOO tight, you can use a length of small wooden dowel (as George described), upright, and place the barrel over it, muzzle down. Sometimes if you press down on the barrel from the sides (NOT THE TOP) the round will come out the top (the chamber end). Brace the dowel on the ground or a work bench. Point everything away from your face and body.

Regards.
Old September 29, 2002, 11:30 AM   #5
johnwill

FWIW, while the bullet is indeed live, I'm sure that there's a lot less possibility of it going off tapping it on the bullet end than the primer end!
Old September 29, 2002, 10:07 PM   #6
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

You don't actually hit the bullet. The dowel only needs to be a couple of inches long. The motor oil/dowel pushes the round out with hydraulic pressure. The round comes out into the rag but I've never seen or heard of one going off from this type of removal. George
Old November 2, 2002, 01:56 PM   #7
sven

I used a cleaning kit to push the round out and - lo and behelod - it was actually an empty case.

What happened was the spent casing stayed lodged in the barrel, whereas I assumed that this casing has extracted and a live round had been loaded, then failed to fire.

Better safe than sorry! I tend to err on the side of being overly cautious with my guns. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

A bit of CZ Kadet specific information, for edification of those finding this thread later:

My CZ 75 Kadet kit has been functioning better and better. Two tips I picked up off of the CZ Forum:

1) one can improve the extractor by reshaping (file it to make the angle push the spent casing out and up, vs 90 degrees right)

2) check the recoil rod. many arrive from the factory with a slight curve. nuke the plastic rod in a microwave for 2 minutes in about an inch of water, and it will straighten out... you may want to roll it across a table to check alignment. this seems to help functioning.

The Kadet is is amazingly accurate... I love the fact that my ammo costs $10 for 550 rounds. =)