The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 2, 2014, 11:13 AM   #26
skoro

Do you watch hunting shows on TV?

I've watched a few, but lost interest very quickly. Seems they're all 30 minutes long, with 15 min of commercials, 10 min of blabber, and about 5 min of worthwhile content. Kinda like a shortened version of an NFL game.
Old December 15, 2014, 08:43 PM   #27
North East Redneck

Used to back in the '90s when I was finally able to access cable TV. Quickly learned that the shows are not hunting shows for the most part. They are 30 minute adds, lost interest then and have checked out a few fishing or hunting programs in the last couple years. Mostly still commercials for sponsors. I can watch a few minutes here and there, but no, most of these shows are boring and offer little for the middle class working guy that loves to hunt. I prefer to watch you tube vids of average hunters persuing and killing game.

Last edited by North East Redneck; December 15, 2014 at 08:51 PM.
Old December 17, 2014, 11:42 AM   #28
doofus47

When I took up bow hunting a few years ago, I began watching bow hunting shows which introduced me to rifle shows b/c a lot of pro hunters do both to make a full season.
I still watch Western Hunter b/c it's so beautifully shot. I'll also watch Bowhunter TV, but I tend to be more selective now.
If the hunter is shooting over a feeder, I stop watching. Nothing against it. Sometimes you have to do that, but it's not my method of hunting.
If the hunter is looking at a perfectly legal bull elk or buck deer and says something ridiculous like "It's not a shooter," I tend to move on.
If the show never shows the hunter packing out his own meat, I move on.
If the hunter is hunting private land, I tend to lose interest. Not that the hunting is necessarily easier, but public land hunts are more a roll of the dice.
Then there's the "orgasm".... Really? really...? I thought I blocked this channel. Where's my remote?
Old December 17, 2014, 12:03 PM   #29
Deerhunter

I watch some of them but only on DVR. Too many of them are crap. I get tired of seeing someone shoot a deer with a bow and claim it was an awesome shot, but I can rewind and watch it over and over and tell....NOPE poor shot. Some shows will replay shots, but only if they are good shots. There is one or two that will actually say...man that wasn't a real good shot.

Usually it is some excuse why they are going to back out and wait till morning (bad shot but they wont admit it on TV).

I saw one a couple weeks ago where a guy stalked up to a mullie and then made this terrible shot. He was proud of it. Made a comment about how he just had to take it because it was the last day. Total TRASH.

I like seeing the deer these guys are shooting. It is only a dream to ever see one deer that size in my life time, these guys are doing it several times a season. Money talks and the reality is that most of us can't afford to pay that kind of money to hunt.

Anyone of us could go out and shoot a monster buck ever year if we had the money to pay the guide, buy the C'meer Deer and everything else these "pros" use.
Old December 17, 2014, 12:29 PM   #30
Old Stony

I watched some gal's mother gut shoot an antelope with a bow the other day. She was soundly congratulated by everyone there.
Old December 17, 2014, 02:04 PM   #31
Deerhunter

I remembered one that I watched that REALLY bothered me

Eastman's Hunting TV Dan Pickar from Eastman's Bow hunting Journal shot at a mulie at 60 yards and hit it in the back leg. He was about 20 yards waiting for it to stand up. When it did it busted out. He whistled and got it to stop. After the shot he says. He was out there about 60 yard a little far back but hey got an arrow in him anyway. Then when they recover the deer he says...only went 150 quick human kill.

What a disgrace. It was a terrible shot that he never should have taken and then to say...well got an arrow in him. What an idiot.
Old December 17, 2014, 04:00 PM   #32
Husqvarna

Quote:
I watched some gal's mother gut shoot an antelope with a bow the other day. She was soundly congratulated by everyone there.
and it is the strangest thing with bowhunters on tv

animals are struck midday in broad daylight but always recoverd in pitch black
Old December 17, 2014, 11:04 PM   #33
fatwhiteboy

The shows are fake. And in the name of God, will someone explain to me why they are whispering AFTER they take the shot? And I agree about the orgasms. You have just taken an animal.s life. Those guys act like the arabs dancing in the street after 9/11.....
Old December 17, 2014, 11:18 PM   #34
rmocarsky

Just my 2 cents . . .

But most of these hunting shows that I get to see are from blinds over bait.

That is not the most fun way to hunt to me. I used to like finding a trail, getting up a tree and hoping that a deer would come down the trail.

I am not judging anyone who hunts over bait.

It just doesn't seem like as much fun as the old way.

Maybe a whole lot more productive but that's it.

Again, not in the least judging.

A long time ago here in Maryland baiting was not legal. That was in my heyday.

I have never hunted over bait but I do think the old way was more fun trying to be more get on a deer rather than bringing one to you.

But to each his own.

Rmocarsky