The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 21, 2019, 10:18 PM   #1
TxFlyFish

G19 MOS vs G17 MOS

Which one would you go with if you were to setup with light and red dot?
Old May 21, 2019, 10:46 PM   #2
Jim Watson

More likely G45 MOS.
Old May 22, 2019, 01:35 AM   #3
greentick

I went with the G17 as I don't plan on concealing it.
Old May 22, 2019, 01:53 AM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

Pick what feels best to you. I don't feel a lot of difference between the two guns, but some folks do. If you're one of them, that's a good way to pick between the two.

If you really have no preference and they both feel the same to you, then why not go with the G17? A little longer barrel, a little longer grip, a couple more rounds capacity--what's not to like?
Old May 22, 2019, 06:44 AM   #5
precision_shooter

Minimum for MOS for me is the 17 but would prefer the 34MOS or them to make a 17L MOS. I love my G40 10mm MOS and would like the same size in 9mm.

To me, the short barrel and lower capacity (albeit only 2 rounds) of the G19 make the MOS obsolete for me. I have a G45 (G19 slide with a G17 frame) and like the extra capacity and longer grip, I like the shorter barrel/slide and couldn’t see mounting a red dot on it.
Any gun I depend on to save my families lives or my life, I will not depend on an electronic sight.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old May 22, 2019, 08:08 AM   #6
Tallest

I think your end purpose for it would be the main consideration. If it's just for fun and range shooting, rarely holstered and never concealed, I would say the 17 is great and will probably perform a little better. But if you're planning to carry a "roland special" or similar set-up, I would go with the 19.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old May 22, 2019, 12:01 PM   #7
TxFlyFish

Would the red dot negate the advantage of the longer sight radius?

How does the extra weight of the light and red dot affect the recoil impulse of the 17 v 19. I want to try to cc it, generally I don’t notice any difference between the 17 and 19
Old May 22, 2019, 12:08 PM   #8
TunnelRat

In practice the red dot is agnostic of the sight radius, but if the red dot is inoperable then the added sight radius helps. In my own experience with full-size versus compact pistols I have never really felt like the difference in sight radius makes a dramatic impact on shooting. You would lose a little velocity from the shorter barrel length, but is that problematic? Idk. I carry my G19 with a compact light attached and I find it does seem to make it slightly softer shooting, but it's also a bit heavier in terms of transitioning between targets.
Maintain situational awareness
Old May 22, 2019, 12:20 PM   #9
IdaD

I like the 19 and 34 sizes over the 17. Same with M&P - I prefer the Compact or 5" FDE models over the standard full size. Or any other make. I find the smaller size to be a little more versatile and easier to pack around, but if I'm not worried about having a smaller package or packing it around I'd rather have the longer barrel and sight radius.
Old May 22, 2019, 12:30 PM   #10
Tallest

If you're going to CC with a light on it, then, depending on the light, the only concealment disadvantage to the 17 would be the overall frame height. If you choose something like the popular SF x300, your overall length is going to be at the 17 length anyway.

I have concealed carried a G17 a good bit, but my height makes it more doable for me than for most. Even still, I much prefer the G19 for conceal carry.

I also believe that a lot of the factors, such as front end weight, sight radius, the different target acquisition with a red dot vs irons, etc. are resolved most effectively with a lot of practice. Once you're really familiar with the specific weapon setup, muscle memory starts to take over. Not a new thought, of course, but it may be a mitigating factor in the decision making.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old May 22, 2019, 12:33 PM   #11
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
If you're going to CC with a light on it, then, depending on the light, the only concealment disadvantage to the 17 would be the overall frame height. If you choose something like the popular SF x300, your overall length is going to be at the 17 length anyway .
True, though a number of compact lights are flush with a G19. Streamlight TLR-7, Surefire XC1, Inforce APLc, Olight Mini Valkyrie. Like you say it will depend on the light.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old May 22, 2019, 12:50 PM   #12
T. O'Heir

With light and red dot you probably need the extra half inch of slide the 17 gives you. Wouldn't put either on a pistol myself. Creates too much bulk and extra weight.
Kind of poor planning that the mags are not interchangeable.
The real measured differences are here.
https://www.diffen.com/difference/Glock_17_vs_Glock_19
Old May 22, 2019, 12:53 PM   #13
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
With light and red dot you probably need the extra half inch of slide the 17 gives you. Wouldn't put either on a pistol myself. Creates too much bulk and extra weight.
Kind of poor planning that the mags are not interchangeable.
The real measured differences are here.
https://www.diffen.com/difference/Glock_17_vs_Glock_19
Poor planning that the mags aren't interchangeable? The mags for the 17 fit in the 19 just fine. They won't go the reverse because one has a longer grip than the other. That's how it works on any manufacturer I can think of.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old May 22, 2019, 02:10 PM   #14
Tallest

Quote:
With light and red dot you probably need the extra half inch of slide the 17 gives you.
Can you elaborate? I'm not sure I follow

Old May 22, 2019, 03:29 PM   #15
TCphoto

If I didn't already own a Beretta APX Centurion, I probably would have bought a G45 MOS instead of the G17 MOS. I'd rent at a range and see which fits your hand best.
Old May 22, 2019, 05:33 PM   #16
TxFlyFish

Thanks guys for the advice. The grip and fit of 19 v 17 I am ok with either. While I do feel a difference in transition speed and sight alignment, each has its advantage/disadvantage. The setup will be x300ua and rm06t2. What I don’t know is with these mounted, which one will shoot flatter. The Glock will be kept stock
Old May 24, 2019, 08:32 PM   #17
WagonM

19 MOS .... just because :

* i already have a 17, don’t need two

* I did not have a 19 .... anymore (sold one that I had)

* I could not find a 43 MOS

*. There was a like new 19 MOS begging me to take him home

If I had choices... I would have picked a 43 MOS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 24, 2019, 10:17 PM   #18
TxFlyFish

43 mos? Did you mean 34?
Old May 24, 2019, 11:25 PM   #19
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
What I don’t know is with these mounted, which one will shoot flatter.
Theoretically the 17 will. In practice I doubt you'll be able to tell a difference.