The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 2, 2016, 03:04 PM   #26
OldMarksman
Staff

I think it is foolhardy to spray gasoline on anyone or anything in a service station.
Old September 2, 2016, 04:34 PM   #27
peggysue

TON,
Sorry I have carried concealed for over 45 years and yet to use my colt at a gas station. Sorry crime is not everywhere. Please be observant to the gas stations you use... Lots of conspiracy's. You can buy during the day if I drive through a known ghetto.
I do not look for a fight.
Pitty the fool who attacks. Of course I will lose everything I own and live out of my car.

Last edited by peggysue; September 3, 2016 at 05:40 AM.
Old September 2, 2016, 09:32 PM   #28
K_Mac

Peggysue most who carry will never use their weapon. It is silly to think that living in the Midwest somehow protects you from a violent encounter at a gas station, or anywhere else for that matter though. The idea that it can't happen here is not based on facts, and that is true anywhere you go.
Old September 3, 2016, 09:13 AM   #29
t45

Lots of people hang out at gas stations. I was just approached the other day in the middle of the day in a good neighborhood. I was asked for money because they (him and his girlfriend) didn't have money to put gas in their car. They were just parked in front of one of the pumps. I told him I didn't have cash and I was using a company gas card. He went back to his car and waited for the next unwitting soul. He did manage to get some cash from another person and I seen him go back to his car and drive away. He didn't need gas he needed money. No I didn't feel threatened but you never how things are going to play out when someone is denied money. Unsavory individuals can be anywhere at anytime.

Last edited by t45; September 3, 2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old September 3, 2016, 10:00 AM   #30
OldMarksman
Staff

For predators, the gas station is a veritable oasis on the Serengeti.

The danger in individual stations will vary according to highway accessibility, time of day, and perhaps proximity of high crime areas.
Old September 3, 2016, 10:15 AM   #31
P5 Guy

I worry more over 'skimmers' in the pump credit card slot than being assaulted.
Old September 3, 2016, 10:39 AM   #32
peggysue

Sorry my town does not have issues everyone else here must have. Look up Bellevue, Iowa.
Old September 3, 2016, 10:42 AM   #33
peggysue

Sorry my town does not have issues everyone else here must have. Look up Bellevue, Iowa.
Old September 3, 2016, 11:21 AM   #34
K_Mac

Statistically your chances of an encounter at the Riverside Quick Shop are significantly lower than in a major urban metroplex or just off an Interstate highway. No question about that. Don't think for a minute though that is a guarantee of anything. It only takes one desperate addict, one wandering psycopath, one drunken idiot, a car load of knotheads, or countless other scenarios for the stats to dramatically change. Good luck.
Old September 3, 2016, 11:38 AM   #35
Glenn E. Meyer

Folks wonder about the liability of a missed shot hitting someone else.

Wonder about the liability if you blow up the gas station and incinerate Baby Jimmy in a car seat at a nearby pump?

Also if you feel safe in your section of the isolated boonies, that is irrelevant to the issue at hand.
Old September 3, 2016, 11:55 AM   #36
Brit

Really interesting, reading the thoughts on gas stations.

Just about each time I am in the Cherokee, my Wife of 23 years is with me.
So any actions I take are heavy in that fact.

So vehicle, marked Security one, carry Glock 19 on the belt, under a Florida shirt. The odd time I am doing something for my Son, in uniform, same pistol, same place. Gas up, never less than half full. Gas card. Needs mileage, my Driver number.

Doors locked, music needed!

"Can I spare some cash for GAS!" No. I use Company gas card, it only allows one fill up a day. But the pump is clipped to run on its own. So my view, and attention is free to roam.

If you can not travel, armed, gun on belt, for as long as it takes. You are doing something wrong, Gun/Holster/belt/car seat? Whatever.

Paranoid? No but still alive at 80YOA, I must be doing something right, yes.

One comment, there is a shooting sport, IDPA. This has you using a CCW pistol, with at least a ten round magazine, rules for States that only allow ten round capacity magazines (I use a Glock 19, so down load to ten) this is quite realistic stages of fire, from a holster start, mostly. Two rounds per target, mostly. It is not training as such, but you will not be one of the people, with a holstered pistol, that you have never fired! Yes I have met them.
Old September 3, 2016, 12:50 PM   #37
Ton

Quote:
http://www.thonline.com/mobile_new/n...5f5addf27.html

Quote:
Authorities turn to social media for help in Bellevue burglary
TH MEDIA Telegraph Herald
BELLEVUE, Iowa -- Jackson County law enforcement has turned to social media in an effort to get more information about a Sunday burglary in Bellevue.
The county sheriff's department posted several surveillance video clips of two suspects in a burglary shortly after midnight Sunday at Riverside Gas & Grill in Bellevue. The department said an undisclosed amount of cash was taken, and the suspects damaged the interior of the business.
Chief Deputy Steve Schroeder said since posting videos and images Monday, the department has gotten a lot of responses from the public.
Schroeder said the department is assisting the Bellevue Police Department with the investigation. He said he hopes those images and videos will help the department quickly identify the two suspects, even if they are not from the Bellevue area.
Old September 3, 2016, 02:25 PM   #38
peggysue

lol.. Burglary? I will respectfully just have to disagree about my safety at gas stations. Really a sweet town on the Mississippi with it's own State Park, great hunting, and great fishing. Well..for fun
I guess I could carry my micro AK with folding brace and toss in a 100 round drum. Could use a single point sling and wear my slicker to conceal it. Just in case I get attacked. I could lay down suppressive fire and set up a defensive perimeter or even start a fire with it.
Old September 3, 2016, 02:56 PM   #39
g.willikers

peggysue,
Now yer talkin'.
But remember those roving gangs from the last depression days?
They favored peaceful looking small towns.
Less cops.
Could happen again, the way things are going.
Just a dreadful thought.
Old September 3, 2016, 04:28 PM   #40
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
I will respectfully just have to disagree about my safety at gas stations.
Is Bellevue, IA the only place where you refuel? I would be more concerned along 61 south of Dubuque.

Quote:
Really a sweet town on the Mississippi with it's own State Park, great hunting, and great fishing.
Sounds nice, but the proximity a state park brings with it a different set of risks.
Old September 3, 2016, 04:45 PM   #41
Lohman446

I doubt my 12 year old truck makes a tempting target for thieves. Keep your head up and look alert and I'm guessing most looking for an easy score keep on movin
Old September 3, 2016, 06:01 PM   #42
peggysue

OldsMarksman may be we could get together around Clinton and tell a few stories about crime in Jackson County>? BREAKFAST ON ME. Why is the state park an issue? LOL not a hot bed of gang activity.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/Places-to-Go/...inboundary/172
Old September 3, 2016, 08:32 PM   #43
FITASC

Some towns (and other municipalities) really do not have the crap that Chicago, Ferguson, Detroit, et al have - even at their C stores or wally world parking lots. To those who DO live ion those crime zones, proper awareness and preparedness is paramount. To those of us who do not live in a war zone, it just isn't as critical on a day to day basis
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 3, 2016, 08:46 PM   #44
Snyper

There are some naive folks on this thread who don't realize that nowhere is "safe".
Old September 3, 2016, 09:49 PM   #45
James K
Member In Memoriam

Guns or the carry thereof are less important than giving the appearance of NOT being a victim. I have filled up at night in some pretty "interesting" areas, have walked through some bad neighborhoods, and have at times seemed to be the only person of one race in a whole city of another. But I have never been attacked, threatened or followed. Blind luck, maybe, but a few thoughts.

I never showed fear. At times, I nodded, or waved, or even said hello to people who might (or might not) have been threats. I always tried to look as if I knew where I was going and had a specific destination. I never looked hesitant or "lost" or like I didn't belong, though I obviously didn't. Who did they think I was? A cop, maybe. Or an armed citizen? I never showed a gun or any weapon, though I might have had one or more.

I am not a big monster or even frightening looking (5'11" and more than a bit overweight). I didn't dawdle or hesitate; I kept moving, just someone going someplace, not afraid but not challenging either.

Jim
Old September 3, 2016, 09:58 PM   #46
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Why is the state park an issue?
People on the lam need a place to stay. Many of them are in need, and they are not among the nicest.

My camping days are over, but only the most naive were unaware of the risks.

Quote:
LOL not a hot bed of gang activity.
Okay.
Old September 7, 2016, 12:10 AM   #47
Moonglum

My wife is disabled I do not allow her to get gas unless I'm with her.

We live a pretty ordered life, we get gas at half a tank. That usually falls on Wednesday night on the way home from church.

We circle the parking lot before picking a pump I prefer a pump on the edge so have a better field of view.

I leave the passenger door open (barrier) and keep my back to the car and look around while I'm fueling.

Never carry cash.
Old September 7, 2016, 06:14 AM   #48
Don P

Quote:
Pitty the fool who attacks. Of course I will lose everything I own and live out of my car.
Look into US Law Shield

Quote:
One comment, there is a shooting sport, IDPA. This has you using a CCW pistol, with at least a ten round magazine, rules for States that only allow ten round capacity magazines (I use a Glock 19, so down load to ten) this is quite realistic stages of fire, from a holster start, mostly. Two rounds per target, mostly. It is not training as such, but you will not be one of the people, with a holstered pistol, that you have never fired! Yes I have met them
Yes it gets folks using there gun. Unfortunately some think its actual real life training. One of the things I don't like is not loading magazines to max capacity. Who in there right mind downloads a mag before leaving the house??
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 7, 2016, 06:54 AM   #49
zincwarrior

Quote:
There are some naive folks on this thread who don't realize that nowhere is "safe".
On the flip side, there is a line between "being aware" and "clinically paranoid." Its important not to miss it.

EDIT: Of course you re correct in that we all should maintain situational awareness as much as possible, and that public domains can be less safe than we think. As the immortal bard once said: just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

Last edited by zincwarrior; September 7, 2016 at 07:17 AM.
Old September 7, 2016, 06:58 AM   #50
FITASC

^^^^^
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa