The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 7, 2016, 08:50 PM   #26
agtman

Quote:
When I jogged with a pistol, I used a canvas version of this holster with the strap running over the right shoulder.
Glad to see someone else thinks about these issues in the context of working-out and staying fit.

Quote:
Since it didn't rely on tension around the waist, there were no sagging issues and it was reasonably comfortable.
Folks who don't workout often have severe "sagging issues," not to mention they don't jog, lift, or otherwise workout.
Old November 8, 2016, 07:31 AM   #27
zukiphile

Quote:
Glad to see someone else thinks about these issues in the context of working-out and staying fit.
It wasn't the product of much thought; that may have just been what I had then.

But if you observe womens' purses, they carry more weight on one shoulder than anyone would carry in a fanny-pack.
Old November 10, 2016, 08:11 PM   #28
James K
Member In Memoriam

FWIW, I sometimes think holsters/belts are designed by folks who never carry a gun. Too many look (and feel) like they were made to tote a 155mm Howitzer, while others are about as sturdy as the undergarments featured in Victoria's Secret Like Vicky's undies, they are made to look good, not work well. For a long time, when out of uniform I simply carried a Model 36 in a Federal Man holster on a wide belt. For greater concealment when necessary, I carried an inside the belt holster. I saw no need for super concealment, but I did use an ankle holster once in a while.

Jim
Old November 11, 2016, 08:40 PM   #29
agtman

Avoid Gucci-wear holsters. They emphasize bling more .... and practical utility less.

Whether Melania Trump would wear it for a Victoria's Secrets show is irrelevant. I know, it's a shock.

The purpose of a practical EDC holster is to get your gun into action in the "gravest extreme" of bad stuff, not look good in the mirror or necessarily be the most comfortable thing you wear all day.

Ultimately, a good holster and belt combination work together ... And together they facilitate your ability to access your weapon, if needed, to put some thug a-hole face-down on the concrete.
Old November 11, 2016, 08:48 PM   #30
OneFreeTexan

Suspenders and

..a good shoulder rig, with a 38 special stubby, Has worked for me for over 40 years.
Old November 12, 2016, 10:22 PM   #31
johnwilliamson062

This is just one of those threads where I must have failed to make my opening point clear.
Old November 13, 2016, 06:23 AM   #32
pathdoc

I live in Canada, so continuous carry is off the table, but when I go to the range I do have to do a bit of walking around - The firing point is 100m away from the nearest bench, so I'm constantly carrying my firearm in a holster on my hip. In the interests of not looking like I'm doing a strip-show when I put the holster on/take it off, I think I'm going to go with the second belt solution.

If I were going to carry a gun all day, though, I think comfort of the holster-bearing belt would be paramount. The less comfortable it is, the more likely I'd be to leave the gun at home...
Old November 13, 2016, 07:56 PM   #33
agtman

Quote:
I live in Canada, * * * but when I go to the range I do have to do a bit of walking around - The firing point is 100m away from the nearest bench, so I'm constantly carrying my firearm in a holster on my hip.* * *
So you're saying you shoot pistols at targets 100m away? That's some awesome marksmanship if you can hit anything.

Quote:
If I were going to carry a gun all day, though, I think comfort of the holster-bearing belt would be paramount. The less comfortable it is, the more likely I'd be to leave the gun at home...
This is the psychological approach of most the cops in my area of the U.S.

Comfort is paramount. If they thought the Police Chief wouldn't fire their asses, most would leave their duty pistols in a dresser drawer at home, and just use the 12ga shotgun in the squad car, as and when on-duty calls or situations dictate.

Last edited by agtman; November 14, 2016 at 06:52 AM.
Old November 14, 2016, 08:46 AM   #34
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
So you're saying you shoot pistols at targets 100m away? That's some awesome marksmanship if you can hit anything.
There are people on this forum that shoot pistols at multiple of that range.
Old November 14, 2016, 09:59 AM   #35
TailGator

Quote:
The firing point is 100m away from the nearest bench
Quote:
So you're saying you shoot pistols at targets 100m away?
I took it to mean that he has to walk 100 m from the nearest bench or table to the point from which he fires. Sounds like an odd layout even by my interpretation. Perhaps pathdoc will clarify.
Old November 14, 2016, 08:57 PM   #36
johnwilliamson062

How many law enforcement officers are using just one belt?
My understanding is almost all patrol officers use an inner nylon belt with a rigid reinforcement that does the supporting, then attach an outer belt with keepers that is also reinforced.

Do most "civilian" CCW carriers realize this?