The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 21, 2019, 11:23 AM   #26
tango1niner

If you are concerned about the Remlin QC horror stories it might help to focus on Marlins that were made in New Haven or North Haven. Marlin made firearms had issues as well and I would still scrutinize thoroughly whatever I was about to buy wherever it was made.

I think both the .45-70 and .444 Marlin to be good calibers. It appears that the .444's are not as common as the .45-70. Good luck in your hunt.
Old July 21, 2019, 11:26 AM   #27
an Old Shooter

Thanks gentlemen for a particularly informative and lucid thread. I have a 1972 first year 1895 45-70 and a 2017 1895GBL. The GBL quality is very close to the 1972 Marlin and I love them both. I have hunted Virginia white tail since the early 1960s and most were taken with the 45-70. As a hunting round if find it unexcelled for the Virginia woodlands. I have taken many deer with .284 and .30 caliber rifles, many antelope with .25 and .27 caliber rifles and elk with a .33 caliber in mountains, open range and fields. Within the 45-70 ballistic limitations, I find that bullet perfect on the medium and up sized deer. The older Hunters in our group laughed when I first showed up with this rifle. Then just smiled with respect after witnessing numerous one shot kills and short tracking. The bullets go in one side and out the other with two bleed holes. A careful heart/lung shot puts them down every time with no lost deer. My grand son in law just got his GBL and saw a one shot kill with no tracking. Meat loss was zero. What a great rifle and cartridge.
Old July 21, 2019, 10:07 PM   #28
Blue Duck

Yes, the loading gate trick of using the following round to push the one in front home. I have used that trick for 40yrs, however, I never thought about using another round to push the last round through the loading gate. I will have to remember that. Actually, it was never much of a problem for me, until I got this last gun, and I have owned a lot of leveractions. However, I think I am going to try a stone or file to dull that edge a little. The older ones were not that sharp. Personally, I think Marlin still suffers a little bit of quality control there on the end of the loading gate.
Old July 22, 2019, 03:33 AM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

Learned that trick by accident long ago. Was talking to a buddy while loading up and wasn't counting how many shells, and when I couldn't get the last one in, I figured, ok, its full now....

then I realized I didn't get my finger pinched...and the light bulb lit up..duh.. why didn't I think of this before??

sometimes, its the simplest things that make such a difference..
Old July 22, 2019, 06:46 PM   #30
stagpanther

Any particular reason not to consider a Henry Big Boy? I have one and it's a great gun and is very accurate. I opted for the 22" octagonal barrel but you pay a price with the brass butt-plate, but looked at another way it forces good technique on you. They make a blackened one with 18" barrel which I assume is to be competitive with marlin's 1895 but has a rubber buttpad like the 1895.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1885.JPG (64.2 KB, 171 views)
Old July 22, 2019, 08:52 PM   #31
Blue Duck

Nothing wrong with the Henry, that I know of, just different.
Old July 22, 2019, 09:15 PM   #32
armednfree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett Brown View Post
I'm seriously considering a Marlin 1895 45-70, but have read some horror stories about quality and reliability. Can anyone here give me some input?

Thank you!
When you check it out hold it by the butt and lay the front on the table. Make sure the rear sight is parallel with the top of the receiver and the front sight is perpendicular. You can't shoulder it and see that well. You want to be back from it so you can take in the whole picture.
Old July 23, 2019, 06:53 PM   #33
zeke

Excellent advice for all open sights, especially levers and revolvers. Suprising how many "accuracy" problems directly contribute to this.
Old July 23, 2019, 07:29 PM   #34
GeauxTide

I bought a new 1895 3 years ago and the quality was fine. I bought it for close encounters with hogs, but a 405 LFN at 1300 was more than I could comfortably control. It shot and functioned very well and can recommend it. I ended up getting a 450 Bushmaster, which has similar performance and kicks like a 20ga shotgun.
Old July 26, 2019, 02:02 PM   #35
Ben Dover

I had a Marlin 95, .45-70. Shot it quite a bit at first, but eventually sold it.
Now have an 1886 Winchester in .45-90. It's a keeper.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old July 27, 2019, 09:35 AM   #36
m&p45acp10+1

I love mine. So does my wife. I load my own, and a 405 grain hollow base with a load of Trail Boss is pleasant to shoot. I have never fired a single factor round out if it yet. Brass life is decent for a round that has to be expanded and crimped. Star Line brass is reasonable for the price. Accuracy is good, it shoots true. Cost per round fired is low for me, as I reload, and cast my own lead. I do not load the African big game stopper loads, as I shoot this one just for run.
Old July 27, 2019, 03:03 PM   #37
Drm50

I've got a 70 model 1895. Had it for 40yrs. The only reason I still have it is that it's a cherry shooter. I shot targets with it for years with cast bullets. It's upgraded to 300gr JHPs for Ohio deer now that rifles are legal. As others have said the new Marlins by Rem are a crapshoot. For some reason they are the popular rifle here for deer. I must have scoped and sighted in 20 of them since rifle law. Every one I've done has been one of the short barreled models. I had them shoot as good as my old one and had some that had to be sent back.
If I was looking for one I would get one marked JM Marlin. All these guys are shooting factory Flex Tip ammo. I don't know what they would do with cast. I shot 330gr cast for years at targets with good results.