The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 27, 2017, 03:44 PM   #1
perry10

oal for coated bullets?

reloading for 1911 - 45 caliber-- what oal should you use for coated swc bullets?

Last edited by perry10; June 27, 2017 at 03:46 PM. Reason: forgot to put in bullet caliber
Old June 27, 2017, 03:59 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

For my 68 H&G (or whatever it's called) profile 200 grain SWC's, I load them to 1.240"

The ideal OAL depends on the gun. The 1.240 is ideal for my Colt 1911; but 1.245" is ideal for my Springfield and Kimber 1911's. So I just go with the shorter - close enough.

The best thing to do is determine what is ideal for your gun - via plunk test.
Old June 27, 2017, 04:46 PM   #3
Mike38

Depends on the chamber. My Colt M1911 with a Kart barrel the OAL is 1.234. Search for "M1911 plunk test" and you'll quickly learn how to determine what's best for yours.
Old June 28, 2017, 09:28 AM   #4
robhic

Quote:
The best thing to do is determine what is ideal for your gun - via plunk test.
Speaking of which: http://www.shootingtimes.com/reloadi...he-plunk-test/
Old June 28, 2017, 09:32 AM   #5
Jim Watson

If your coated bullet has the same nose as a H&G #68, 1.25" is a good place to start, seat shorter as required. I do better at 1.24". I see a lot of people do, a change from the once universal 1.250" recommendation.
Old June 28, 2017, 10:50 AM   #6
noylj

Your COL (Cartridge Overall Length) is determined by your barrel (chamber and throat dimensions) and your gun (feed ramp) and your magazine (COL that fits magazine and when the magazine lips release the round for feeding) and the PARTICULAR bullet you are using. What worked in a pressure barrel or the lab's gun or in my gun has very little to do with what will work best in your gun.
Take the barrel out of the gun. Create two inert dummy rounds (no powder or primer) at max COL and remove enough case mouth flare for rounds to chamber (you can achieve this by using a sized case—expand-and-flare it, and remove the flare just until the case "plunks" in the barrel).
Drop the inert rounds in and decrease the COL until they chamber completely. This will be your "max" effective COL. I prefer to have the case head flush with the barrel hood (or a few mils higher than where the head of an empty case aligns with the barrel, as all cases are too short and I prefer to minimize head space). After this, place the inert rounds in the magazine and be sure they fit the magazine and feed and chamber.
You can also do this for any chambering problems you have. Remove the barrel and drop rounds in until you find one that won't chamber. Take that round and "paint" the bullet and case black with Magic Marker or other marker. Drop this round in the barrel and rotate it back-and-forth.
Remove and inspect the round:
1) Scratches on bullet--COL is too long
2) Scratches on edge of the case mouth--insufficient crimp
3) Scratches just below the case mouth--too much crimp, you're crushing the case
4) Scratches on case at base of bullet--bullet seated crooked due to insufficient case expansion (not case mouth flare) or improper seating stem fit
5) Scratches on case just above extractor groove--case bulge not removed during sizing. May need a bulge buster.
Old June 28, 2017, 10:51 AM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

For best accuracy, seat as shown third from left, using your barrel for a gauge. Once you have the right seating depth, work the load back up with that seating depth until you have the performance you want. Only if the load is so long that you can't fit the rounds in the magazine or they won't feed, will you want to go to something more like second from left.

NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 28, 2017, 10:54 AM   #8
mikld

Simple answer; use the same data as for lead bullets sans coating...