The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 27, 2014, 07:53 PM   #1
zxcvbob

Question about holsters

I recently bought a Ruger LCR; one of the hammerless models. Now I'm looking for a left-handed holster for it.

The holster that Cabela's tried to sell me (I think it was an Uncle Mike's) had a strap, but without a hammer the strap didn't do anything.

Some that I've seen online do not have a retention strap, but they have an adjustable "retention screw". I'm not familiar with that method. What does it mean? I'm guessing the leather is sculptured to tightly fit the gun -- so it almost snaps into place -- and the screw adjust how tightly. Are those still reasonably secure even without a strap? I'll be wearing this on my belt and covered by an untucked shirt... so concealed but not well concealed (that's legal here) Retention is kind of important.

I'm also thinking about an ankle holster or boot-carry, but don't know anything about that. Ankle holsters are kind of expensive to experiment with...
Old September 27, 2014, 09:38 PM   #2
walks with gun

You guessed right, I never use a strap on a holster unless I'm on the water or riding one of those infernal horse things. A well molded holster should work for you. You can get molded plastic holsters like Kydex I think for your ruger.
Old September 27, 2014, 09:51 PM   #3
oldcabin

PJ holster makes a molded kydex one however you like. He can send you some pics, I didn't see a picture on his site, but listing for them is there. I have several from him for semi autos and have been very happy. The wait to get them I guess shows others are happy with him too. Last I checked he had a stock already made one in pink. He could send pics of it.
Old September 28, 2014, 01:06 PM   #4
zxcvbob

It carries pretty well without a holster in a *back* pocket. (I didn't expect that) I tried it in a front pocket and that didn't work hardly at all.
Old September 28, 2014, 04:38 PM   #5
gotthegoods

I started carrying an SP 101 in my back pocket in a Desantis Nemesis. With a good belt it worked out well for me.

I traded off my LCR but it carried well in a cargo pocket also in a Nemesis.