The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 6, 2018, 05:55 AM   #1
jetinteriorguy

Back to my trusty revolver

I've come back home to my trusty S&W Model 67 for my EDC. I've been carrying my Ruger LC9s both concealed and in my car every day for the last 4 years and it's been 100% reliable and accurate through over 2000 rounds. But lately I've had a couple of weird failures that have shaken my faith in its reliability. I know what caused the problem and it's an easy thing to work around, so until I get a revolver that I can carry concealed I'll still use it for CC. So I took the 67 to the range with some 125 gr loads and had no problem putting 100 rounds in a 6 inch circle at 7 yards just as fast as I could pull the trigger. Man that sucker was hot when I was done but that DA trigger is so smooth it was hard to stop.
Old October 6, 2018, 06:41 AM   #2
jar

A good belt & holster combination lets lots of fairly large revolvers get concealed. Choosing the right holster, belt and the right set of grips for you and your lifestyle can really make a difference. Just the difference between an open backstrap and fully enclosed can be significant. A couple days ago I carried my Model 28 in an OWB pancake holster from Azula on a High Noon gun belt covered by a loose Guayabera shirt. The grip is a very smooth and rounded old set of Nills.

The Holster but with an old Webley Mark IV

And an Colt Army Special (K frame size) in my old Tucker OWB holster

Old October 6, 2018, 09:32 AM   #3
tallball

I am about to go out and run some errands. My trusty Ruger LCR will be in my pocket.
Old October 6, 2018, 12:36 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

You should be able to put 100 rounds in a 4 inch circle at 23 yards-double action.....
Old October 6, 2018, 04:47 PM   #5
Cosmodragoon

Nothing wrong with a revolver for EDC. If you want a smooth double action trigger and something easy to carry, check out the Ruger LCR. You can even get one in 9mm to replace your LC9s, though I prefer keeping revolver cartridges in my wheel guns. I carry an LCR 327 during the 70% of the year when I can't count on the wardrobe coverage for something larger. It's a six-shooter that'll put out an 85-grain hollowpoint north of 1200 fps at .38 +p recoil levels.

(The 100-grain American Eagles get up around 1300 fps but shooting them from the tiny revolver feels a lot more like .357 magnum - a little less fun and a little more challenging to shoot well.)
Old October 6, 2018, 06:16 PM   #6
K_Mac

Quote:
You should be able to put 100 rounds in a 4 inch circle at 23 yards-double action.....
Rapid fire, that would be extraordinary shooting with any handgun. I'm much more comfortable with a semiautomatic, but to each his/her own.
Old October 6, 2018, 06:18 PM   #7
amd6547

An LCR or J-frame is all well and good, but I’d sure rather have a four inch K-frame in my hand if I actually needed it.
I have a pre-Model 10, a 4” taper barrel. It’s about as old as me. I put a pair of the small pc-Magna grips on it with a Tyler T-grip. It carries easily IWB in an old Bianchi #3 pistol pocket.
Old October 6, 2018, 06:41 PM   #8
dscampbell

My primary EDC a a pre model 10. Carries well either IWB or right front pocket in my cargo shorts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old October 6, 2018, 07:12 PM   #9
jetinteriorguy

Unfortunately my eyesight makes it pretty tough to do 4" at anything past ten yards even at a moderate pace. Single action on a good day with wadcutters I can do it out to 15 yds. But that's it for me.
Old October 6, 2018, 07:26 PM   #10
Buckeye!

Im a semiauto guy .. Glocks at that .. But I do carry a revolver at times ... I really like this Ruger LCR357 ... I carry Hornady 125gr FTX 357mag ... The great grip and polymer frame absorbs the recoil....
Old October 7, 2018, 06:29 AM   #11
jetinteriorguy

Even though I don't want to add another caliber to the loading bench, I've been strongly thinking about an LCR in .327 mag to have 6 rounds available. What I wish for is a K frame, round butt, 3" barrel, in .327 mag. That would turn my crank just right.
Old October 7, 2018, 08:26 AM   #12
Bayou

That pre-model 10 in post # 8 makes for interesting EDC. It's also got a full 6 shot cylinder. The barrel is pinned, but the cylinder is not counterbored.

I also have a 1951 vintage pre-model 10 that I inherited from Dad, although I don't carry:

A great shooter, for sure...

Bayou

Bayou
NRA Life Member
"Keep Calm and Reload"
Old October 7, 2018, 11:39 AM   #13
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
I've been strongly thinking about an LCR in .327 mag to have 6 rounds available. What I wish for is a K frame, round butt, 3" barrel, in .327 mag. That would turn my crank just right.
The 3" SP101 is probably the closest you can get on the current market. I like the form factor and I think they are pretty guns but they're not perfect. While the LCR has a remarkable trigger right out of the box, that has not been my experience with the modern SP101. (I can't tell if that's an effect of how they make them today or of me getting older and being used to ones that have been broken in for well over a decade.) The other is that it's still a chunk of steel. That's not a major issue and it's still nicely petite for the round count but I really wish Ruger would finally get a 3" magnum frame going for their LCRX.