The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 14, 2017, 05:42 PM   #26
reynolds357

Quote:
and with a 36" barrel you can mount 9 of them in your canoe and have your own mini battleship...
I cant, because I don't have a canoe. Would my jon boat work?
Old November 14, 2017, 11:11 PM   #27
Roadkill2228

As intriguing as the large cased 6.5s are, I would personally shy away from them. If I were to get a 6.5 of some flavor, one of the more efficient ones would be on my list, 260 Rem 6.5 creedmoor. My reasoning is that, while the shove will be less, the magnums will still have all the biscuits kuzzle blast of a magnum without the hitting power. The new high bc bullets in 7mm and .30 cal are no less efficient than anything in 6.5 and their greater projectile mass provides more "insurance" when using projectiles designed to expand or fragment at long range. The 6.5 magnums require longer barrels for lesser performance and power with just as bad muzzle blast. The medium cased 6.5s are a different story. Low blast, very light recoil, normal barrel length, and the ability to carry game killing amounts of energy and penetrating mass out effectively to appreciably greater distances than other cartridge of their recoil and blast level (the .243 kind of sucks)
Old November 15, 2017, 06:56 AM   #28
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Would my jon boat work?"

Nah, that's just an armed barge.

But you're right, the .264 really requires a longer barrel in order to shine, and therein lies the problem... it was never available from Winchester with anything longer than a 26" barrel, and often not even that. I don't believe that the offerings from any of the other manufacturers were any better, meaning that to really take advantage of the cartridge's potential, you had to rebarrel your gun with a custom tube.

Really easier just to buy a 7mm Remington Mag., which offered almost identical ballistics but with a heavier bullet. And it didn't have nearly the reputation for washing out leads and throats that the .264 did.

And that's what most people seemed to do.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 15, 2017, 10:48 AM   #29
reynolds357

My experience is that the 264 win mag chewed up and spit out factory Winchester barrels. Stainless Liljas have a very acceptable life. I shoot one of my win mags in 1k competition when the wind is howling.
Old November 15, 2017, 06:43 PM   #30
muzzleblast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
My experience is that the 264 win mag chewed up and spit out factory Winchester barrels. Stainless Liljas have a very acceptable life.
Same here, except I went with Shilen. Had the smith leave a couple of extra inches on the tube.
Old October 12, 2018, 08:02 PM   #31
gw44

I have a 6.5x284 Norma its a great caliber, I would look in to it, my be what you are looking for !!!