The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 30, 2018, 02:34 PM   #26
Mike38

I'm not so sure "jumping" late into the AR market made that much difference. They probably didn't manufacture / machine one part for their AR line, most companies don't. I worked at a place near me that machined AR15 parts. They don't make a completed rifle under their name, they make them for other companies. Lots of other companies. Ruger, S&W, Bushmaster, Colt, etc. etc. They have four benches in the packaging dept. Pallets and totes and boxes filled up with AR parts, then boxed into other companies labels. I watched one day, a lady placing AR parts into a box with the Ruger logo on it, sealed it, grabbed a box with the Smith & Wesson logo on it and filled it from the very same tote the Ruger parts came from. They are all the same parts! The only thing different is the logo stamped on the receiver. And the receivers are made in the same place, on the same machine, by the same operator, just stamped differently after it comes out of the CNC machine. Sure, some companies have "specialized parts" only available on their AR, but most are generic, coming from only a handful of "no name" companies.
Old November 30, 2018, 07:41 PM   #27
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

A problem for rifle companies who focus or who have focussed on bolt-action hunting rifles is two-fold: First, a hunting rifle lasts beyond a lifetime. Second, the percentage of the population which hunts with bolt-action rifles is not growing to any notable degree.

It seems to me that this leads to all manner of shenanigans to maintain a profitable rate of sales. Tricky names on slightly different models of some rifle; internal cost-cutting, etc.
Old November 30, 2018, 08:36 PM   #28
std7mag

Egads, this reeks of Harley Davidson!
Slightly different paint color is a new model.
And a production company should not have more lawyers on the payroll than engineers.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old December 1, 2018, 04:12 AM   #29
bamaranger

Who's in charge of this outfit?

I probably wouldn't be a success as a CEO, away hunting and fishing too much. Heck, I barely kept my ranger job!!!

But I do think that a gun company should make guns and ammo, ....period. When you see firearms mfg's companies branching out into other markets, I take it as a warning sign. We can't sell enough guns, so lets sell, clothes, cleaning supplies, knives boots....you name it. Pretty soon the outfits up for sale.

Colt is an example of a company that got out of touch with its consumers, and Bill Ruger Sr., cashed in big time with the SA revolver. Remington went the multi product route, and in my book their firearms have not been the same since (1980's?). Winchester went multiproduct, and is gone as we once knew them too.

I sure don't think we need another price point poly rifle. There are so many now, I can't keep up. And I wonder......could the advent of the pricepoint rifle be more driven by the greed of mfg's and CEO's to overly maximize profit? Labor and materials are high priced items these days, and I have no basis for that other than common sense. Everything costs more. But at least on the surface, the boutique custom and semicustom shops that turn out good, higher priced guns, still are doing fine. Kimber, Cooper, Bergara and likely others still make good, hiqh quality guns, and folks plunk down lots of cash to own them.
Old December 1, 2018, 12:23 PM   #30
old roper

might want to read this

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...d#.XALDUuJlA64

In case you don't read it

In the quarter, sales were $571 million, down 1 percent from the prior-year quarter. The company said the decline was caused by lower prices across all ammunition categories due to market conditions, and lower sales in hydration, optics and water sports. It said those declines were partially offset by increased firearms sales due to a product refresh and improved sales in outdoor cooking and its sports protection business.
NRA Life Member

Last edited by old roper; December 1, 2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old December 1, 2018, 11:50 PM   #31
J.G. Terry

There was a piece in the paper earlier in the week the firearms sales were down 10%. That's a pretty bad hit across the board. I have several Savage bolt action 110's. You can see the improvement is fit and finish over the years. My entry level rifle is a Ruger American. If we had a particle machine we could make an American. We'd drop an Brown A bolt and Tikka T3 into our machine and a Ruger American would fall out. On the down side look at the Axis compared to Ruger, Marlin, Mossberg and T/C entry level rifles.