The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 16, 2012, 08:08 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Electronic head phones

Been looking at electronic head phones with noise cancel for a few years. I have never been able to justify the expense. I just started a new job around a lot of machinery with a lot of noise. Alarms, whistles, communication with coworkers and such, normal head phones do not work well. Seems like a reasonable justification for some nice hearing protection
Anyone have sets they like? Good battery life, not too fragile, reasonable to wear hunting and not just at the range(not too bulky/heavy), AAA batteries preferred.

Top current competitors:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/774...nrr-23db-green
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/157...-nrr-19db-gray

Ear buds would be great, but they are obviously way outside what I want to spend.
Old February 16, 2012, 09:20 PM   #2
armoredman

I just got a set of the Peltors, should be "range testing" them soon, but just trying them around the house was interesting.
Old February 17, 2012, 08:11 AM   #3
GroovyMike

The Calwells work well with fresh batteries. Effectivenes drops off with your battery life, Don't get them wet .
Old February 17, 2012, 08:47 AM   #4
johnwilliamson062

I hadn't thought about getting them wet. That might be very problematic. I can't remember the last time I went hunting without some sort of precipitation.
Old February 17, 2012, 10:39 AM   #5
Colokeb

Harbor freight.... about $20. Try them.
Old March 4, 2012, 12:23 PM   #6
johnwilliamson062

The harbor freight ones arrived today. Problem is, I can't tell how to put the batteries in. Directions keep talking about a coin slot, but I see none. No obvious openings. foam padding is glued to the plastic, although I can pull it off.

UPDATE:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...i/DCP_7695.jpg
You don;t have to pull hard, but I definitely exceeded the "if this isn't the right way to do it these might break.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/arch...p/t-70685.html
Haven't tried with gunfire, obviously, but if i repeatedly snap my fingers next to the headphones the first snap gets through. The subsequent are blocked. My guess is the headphones block for about 1.5 seconds after initiated. I am going to test them with a 22 first.

Should work well at work anyways.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; March 4, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old March 4, 2012, 12:29 PM   #7
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I have the peltors you linked. The actual operation of them I really can't complain for the price I paid. What I don't like is during a hot day, they start to slide down my head and rest on top of my ears, putting pressure on them. If I were to do it over again, I'd get the standard headset.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 4, 2012, 03:01 PM   #8
armoredman

My Peltors worked perfectly at the range for both rifle and pistol shots - if I was indoors I might want to double up with plugs. It was disconcerting to have sound suddenly blank out from shots next range over, but I got used to it quickly.

Old March 9, 2012, 08:54 PM   #9
chris in va

I recently discovered the Caldwell Platinum muffs. They have a compression circuit that lets you hear someone talking while keeping loud noises down to a safe level. No cutoff.

More expensive muffs have this feature but my money tree is a bit anemic these days.
Old March 10, 2012, 11:04 AM   #10
Del

head muffs

HI,
I have heard that gold pro ears are real good but pricey, has anyone tried them.

Del
Old March 10, 2012, 09:10 PM   #11
Toolman

I've used Radians electronic muffs for 5-years. Use them almost every weekend.
Noise cut-off level is 85db I think. When I go to Knob Creek, I use both plugs and muffs.
Old March 10, 2012, 11:36 PM   #12
Txhillbilly

I bought a couple pair of the Guide Gear electronic headsets a couple years ago.So far,they have performed excellent,and have a good battery life.They use 2-AA batteries,and I only paid $20 a pair for them.

I want to get some that are thinner,but for the price,these are hard to beat.
You can turn the volume up and hear people talking a good distance away,but when there's a loud noise,they turn off.
I also use them when I hunt.

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/....aspx?a=359175