The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 8, 2017, 10:41 AM   #1
LBussy

Review of FedArm Reloads

(Mods - I did not see a better place to put this. I thought this was appropriate since it is about reloaded cartridges)

I just purchased 1000 rds of FedArm's "9mm 115 Grain TMJ Lead Core RN Range Grade Ammunition". They say the brass is "[o]nly once-fired military and police brass is used in loading. This brass is acid washed, processed to SAAMI specifications, and electromagnetically inspected for thin walls and defects to ensure safe internal tolerances."

A quick inspection of a handful of brass showed headstamps of:

R-P (Remington)
Blazer
FC (Federal)
Win
G.F.L. (Fiocchi)

Being "range grade" they say this is packaged by weight. They also say that the rounds are not individually inspected and may contain the occasional "slightly off-seated projectile". To make up for this they send a few extra, stating that the target is "1,004 to 1,019 rounds total". I counted 1010 rounds as I boxed them all up. None appeared to be "off-seated."

I live close; I'm in KC and they are in Arkansas, so shipping was both economical ($18) and fast. They ended up actually shipping the next day and it was two days to me.

I have not made a range visit yet, that comes later today as a matter of fact. I don't have a chrono so I won't be able to speak to the advertised 1,215 FPS.

At $0.13/round ($0.15/round delivered) this was a pretty economical choice, and comes close to the price an average (someone who does not buy in bulk) reloader would pay. Plus, being mixed brass I won't be so anal about making sure I pick up all of my brass. I mainly picked it up because I have not started reloading 9mm yet and I needed an infusion of brass.

Information source: https://fedarm.com/product/9mm-115-g...de-ammunition/

If anyone would like any other information about this before they are fired, now is the time to ask before they all get used.
Old December 18, 2017, 03:13 PM   #2
LBussy

A follow-up to my post:

I went to the range and went through nearly all of the 1000 rounds I purchased. I will say that this is some of the dirtiest rounds I have ever shot - but I may be getting spoiled by my Win231 reloads. I had to clean parts of my guns that rarely ever see soot.

I had 2 FTE's and both of those happened to a new shooter so it may have been limp-wrist syndrome. I include the information here since it happened and I'm not sure why.

Other than that I still think these are a good value and will likely purchase again till my brass supply is built up in 9mm.