The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 16, 2017, 09:11 PM   #1
old fart

$150 or less single shot?

i have a post on here about getting a shotgun and i will be getting a pump in the next few days. however my neighbor wants to get a single shot to use and pass down to his kid when old enough, and he was wondering what he can get for less than $150? now in the shop closest to us they have a new rossi at $140, a new hatfield at $100 and some used h&r from $109 to $139. of these which would you get and why, and are there any other brands of single shot shotguns? thanks
Old August 17, 2017, 10:35 AM   #2
FITASC

Frankly, I wouldn't get any of them. For a few dollars more, a Maverick pump can be bought new. The issue with many of those single shots is that the stocks fit no one and therefore the recoil can be brutal on both ends. Another factor is parts and service. The H&R/NEF folks are no longer in production, and while parts might be readily found, the costs of getting it fixed will exceed the cost of buying another used one.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 17, 2017, 05:09 PM   #3
old fart

well he went with me today and he got a pump because of price, he got the savage 320 for $145 otd, i just didn't like it that well and with hardly any support for parts, i went with a mossberg. thanks everyone
Old August 17, 2017, 05:17 PM   #4
godale

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
well he went with me today and he got a pump because of price, he got the savage 320 for $145 otd, i just didn't like it that well and with hardly any support for parts, i went with a mossberg. thanks everyone

If I was on a budget the mossberg would be my choice !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 20, 2017, 10:07 PM   #5
GarandTd

FWIW. I have graduated from my childhood single shot the NEF Pardner 20g. I upgraded to a Mossberg Maverick, which is great, but I still cherish and shoot the NEF. It's simple with the break action, hammer, and trigger. Wood and steel made in the USA. Not really alot to break on those guns. A good intro firearm for young ones ready to step up from a 22. My friend bought a Rossi recently. It's light and short and I can hip shoot it with one hand, but the thin polymer stock on it feels chincy to me and a plastic cap kept flying off the stock every couple of shots. It also had a safety that I didn't like.
Old August 21, 2017, 12:26 AM   #6
Model12Win

There's a reason why H&r stopped making them.

No demand.

When new in box, quality pumps can be had for the same or less price, there is no reason to buy a single shot shotgun.
Old August 21, 2017, 08:30 PM   #7
osbornk

I'm surprised anyone would buy a new single shot shotgun with the world full of ones sitting unused in closets. I sold 2 for $50 each a while back because I never shot them and nobody was interested in them. They last forever with minimal attention. Nearly everyone in the country has them sitting around since they were just considered a tool by farmers and country folk.

Last edited by osbornk; August 23, 2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old August 22, 2017, 12:55 PM   #8
GarandTd

I agree about buying new ones. There's plenty of used ones around. I don't know why my buddy bought that Rossi, but he didn't ask for my opinion and it's his money. As for use, there is plenty of uses for a single shot shotgun. I agree that in today's gun market, a pump action of some sort is available for little if any more cost than the single and I guess it makes more sense. I'm a fan of even the simplest of my firearms and hate to see any dismissed. They all shoot and I shoot them all.

Last edited by GarandTd; August 22, 2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old October 13, 2017, 04:02 AM   #9
WV_gunner

Get a used H&R, Iver Johnson, Stevens, Winchester, Remington, or whatever else he can find. You can find them between $40 and $200 all day everyday. I'm a minority but I like I a single shot. I like a repeater too but singles are shorter and lighter. Follow up shots don't take much time. You can shoot it as fast as many can shoot a pump or bolt.
Old October 13, 2017, 08:23 AM   #10
FITASC

Quote:
I'm surprised anyone would buy a new single shot shotgun
Depends on what LEVEL of single shot shotgun. A Ljutic, Seitz, Kreighoff or similar $15K single shot is in high demand for those who shoot ATA...........not so much the NEF one.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 13, 2017, 05:32 PM   #11
Kvon2

Pointer (imported by legacy sports) makes a single shot shotgun but I think they're closer to try $220 range. You do get the piece of mind knowing the company is still in business and the parts should be available if needed.

I have a pointer semi auto and it has been great after about 2 years so far.