The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 14, 2019, 10:18 PM   #1
YankeeIronSights

Do you keep your rifles original box/packing?

Hi everyone,

Over the years, I have made it a habit to keep the original box/packing of most of my guns. My rationale is that some local gun stores may pay a bit more on trades, if you have the original box.

Do you keep your boxes too? I have been pondering about throwing away at least the rifle carton boxes. What are your thoughts about this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 14, 2019, 10:34 PM   #2
skywag

Recently, I've kept them. LNIB!!
Old July 14, 2019, 10:37 PM   #3
tlm225

I toss them. My rifles and shotguns aren't going anywhere but to my heirs. Between now and then they'll get plenty of use so they won't be collectibles.
Old July 14, 2019, 10:48 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I keep them.
Old July 14, 2019, 11:21 PM   #5
Hawg

I used to keep them but not anymore.
Old July 15, 2019, 01:49 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

have had very few long guns over the years that came with the boxes, even fewer that were NIB, and while I never threw the boxes out, right away, eventually they got trashed and I tossed them. Didn't care that much, anyway.

Pistols started out like that, for me, but then I began acquiring pistols who's value was enhanced by having the factory box, and a few which are desirable collector pieces where the original box and papers adds significantly to their value, and while I don't store the gun in them, usually, I do try to see they don't get lost or destroyed.
Old July 15, 2019, 03:13 AM   #7
kozak6

I'd only keep it if it were something I suspected of collectibility.

Otherwise I don't have room for empty cardboard boxes of inconvenient size. However, I can't afford particularly collectible firearms, and usually buy used anyways.

For pistols, I'll absolutely keep a useful plastic case. Cardboard? Less so.

I prefer not to sell firearms, so I'm not terribly concerned about theoretically being able to include the box.
Old July 15, 2019, 04:36 AM   #8
Gary Gill

I keep the boxes. If I trade or sell the gun, the box goes with it. I don't have some many that storage space is a problem.
Old July 15, 2019, 06:14 AM   #9
jmr40

Well over 1/2 of my guns were bought used and came with no box. I only have one long gun box for a somewhat rare limited run of 500 rifles Marlin made in 2005. That might make a $100 difference 50 years from now. I have a couple of the locking plastic boxes that some handguns came in. Not because I think it helps value, but they can be used to transport the guns

For most common guns a cardboard box adds little if any to the value. Not enough to be worth taking up the storage space.

Winston Churchill
Old July 15, 2019, 08:54 AM   #10
NoSecondBest

I keep the boxes. I've sold and traded a lot of guns over the years and I've gotten much better prices when the original box and paperwork were available.
Old July 15, 2019, 12:49 PM   #11
FrankenMauser

Average stuff:
If selling to a private party, the original box can add a little bit of value.
If selling to a dealer, they usually don't give any extra for it.
Having a box or two available to be used inside a discrete outer carton/box can be beneficial if a rifle needs to go back for warranty work. (Handguns usually aren't difficult to package.)

Collectible:
Boxes add value. It's that simple.
Don't use one for shipping. You: A) Might not get it back. B) Might find excessive damage that ruins its value, if you do get it back.

I do save almost everything, including boxes for good scopes. But... I have a corner of the basement with enough room for all of them. When that area gets encroached upon in the near future, the number of boxes will be reduced to only those that matter.
Old July 15, 2019, 01:20 PM   #12
rickyrick

Never sold a gun beyond not retrieving one from the pawn shop, so I can’t answer on the value of keeping a package.

I completely destroy and sanitize any evidence of being a gun owner.

Even ammunition boxes are completely rendered unrecognizable before disposal.
Old July 15, 2019, 03:53 PM   #13
Pahoo

Depends ??

Quote:
Do you keep your boxes too? I have been pondering about throwing away at least the rifle carton boxes. What are your thoughts about this?
Darn good question that I have asked my self. I am to understand that you are referring to the brown, plain packing boxes that some have you shipping address on them. I have thrown out some and will probably throw out the rest as I really don't have that many. The factory printed boxes, listing the manufacturer, I keep those; at least for now. ….

Be Safe !!!
Old July 15, 2019, 05:10 PM   #14
BBarn

Save all I get. Can increase salability and/or value depending on the gun and it's age or collectability. They do take up considerable space, but I've always managed to make room for them.

While seemingly unimportant when new, I'm glad I saved the boxes from my lever action Marlin and Winchester 22s.
Old July 15, 2019, 05:13 PM   #15
Skans

Yes, certain boxes are a "must keep". What I do is wrap them in plastic and tape and toss them in my attic. The foam probably won't be good forever, but that's about what I'm willing to do, especially my more collectible guns. I think I still have my original boxes for my: USAS-12, HAC-7, IZZY FAL, and some others. I might even have the original box for a Colt SP1 Carbine. Unfortunately, my two early pythons and early Gold Cup had no boxes. I really need to update my inventory and indicate which guns have boxes.
Old July 15, 2019, 07:14 PM   #16
Tony Z

Used to keep boxes, but too many, plus through the years, boxes got trashy. Nothing of mine will ever be NIB.
Old July 15, 2019, 07:36 PM   #17
berettaprofessor

I keep all of them. With the associated accessories, locks, etc. but I’ve got room.
Old July 15, 2019, 09:01 PM   #18
RaySendero

I, too, keep the boxes.
Old July 16, 2019, 07:04 AM   #19
P5 Guy

I have a blow mould Remington green plastic 'box' the dang thing is huge. How I came to own this is a story of its own. And no the only Remington I have ever owned were two Remington M1903A3s.
Old July 16, 2019, 09:29 AM   #20
TrueBlue711

I used to keep them, but tossed them out a few years ago. Too much wasted storage space for a potential few dollars more IF I sell a gun. Now if the case is a nice hard case, I'll keep that.
Old July 17, 2019, 02:52 AM   #21
Geezerbiker

I keep the box until the warranty expires. I keep a few on hand even though I currently don't have any under warranty. It never hurts to have a box to ship a gun it to have it worked on.

Tony
Old July 17, 2019, 04:57 AM   #22
22-rimfire

I generally save the boxes. Can't always find the if I need to. But most are not tossed. My rational is simply a container to ship the gun if I sell it. I place little value in long gun boxes.
Old July 17, 2019, 06:03 AM   #23
jmr40

If you ever need to ship a gun for any reason you can to to any gun store and they will be glad to give you a box. The outer boxes that guns are shipped in to the stores are either trashed or recycled. They don't want them and they can be reused to ship guns. No reason to hang onto the old boxes guns came in.

Winston Churchill
Old July 17, 2019, 06:27 PM   #24
M88

I keep every box for every gun that came with one, regardless of whether it's a serious high end gun or a cheapo "goes bang" pistol or rifle. Both plastic and cardboard. Like a few others here, I don't plan on selling anything from my collection. When I assume room temperature every gun I have will be handed down to somebody who would appreciate it. Actually, probably long before I'm completely gone. I want to do that while I can still tell the difference between a bolt rifle and a semi-auto! I'm convinced that for the higher end guns the case/ box does add a little value. Other guns, probably not so much but although they currently take a huge amount of space stacked in the second floor of my garage, especially the rifle cases, I can manage. I don't expect to get MANY more at this point.
Old July 19, 2019, 10:53 PM   #25
mr bolo

I kept all the plastic boxes from my last handgun purchases , Glocks, Sigs, XD, HK's

I also store them in the original plastic box stacked inside the gun safe

for rifles, I only kept one box from a RUGER and use it to store a spare sks rifle stock