The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old December 19, 2012, 03:39 AM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Limiting clips to 10 rounds

That is one thing Obama mentioned. Well, as far as I know, there isn't a clip available with more than ten rounds to begin with. I think ChiCom played with a 15 round X39 clip, but it was never adapted. I say we let him have it and laugh into the sunset.
Old December 19, 2012, 03:45 AM   #2
Dr Big Bird PhD

ermmm
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old December 19, 2012, 03:47 AM   #3
Ben Towe

They're not likely to let that loophole slip through. They may be misguided, or even corrupt, but they aren't idiots.
Old December 19, 2012, 03:52 AM   #4
Metal god

They will not say clip . The wording will be sometyhing like , ANY device capable of holding bla bla bla

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 19, 2012, 11:28 AM   #5
johnwilliamson062

I was just kidding, but the politicians want to placate their constituents without running a foul of the NRA.
There have been lots of laws that didn't sound as much like an answer and made even less sense. If NRA pushed for it and sent it through fast everyone would sign it and pass it. All that is needed is one or two good soundbites and the public will be happy. There could be talks about first steps etc, and then the steam would have been let out.
Old December 19, 2012, 11:32 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

My guess is that they will pull the language straight from the previous law.

You'll see references to ammunition feeding devices.

Regarding the politicians, I don't know if you've seen the news or not, but at this point at least three (possibly four) politicians viewed favorably by the NRA have changed their positions on so-called assault weapons, so they don't seem to be too worried.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 19, 2012, 12:23 PM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

The time stream will tell. I doubt we will see legislation now. Then we get a new Congress and time will allow the changelings to be informed by their constituents about their change of views.

Note that most of these folks are very shallow in their intellectual thought and only care about the votes.
Old December 19, 2012, 12:36 PM   #8
BarryLee

In his news conference Obama stated he wants the Commission to provide proposals in January. I would suspect we will see bills shortly after that. It could take a few months of debate to reach a conclusion and at this time it is difficult to imagine it will not mean some kind of more restrictive regulation.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old December 19, 2012, 02:51 PM   #9
dajowi

Maximum capacity magazines will be on the table for sure. Probably ammunition as well.

If there is a conflict with no resolution from the task force the president could sign executive orders. Obama's signed off on more than 923 already.
Old December 19, 2012, 05:54 PM   #10
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajowi
If there is a conflict with no resolution from the task force the president could sign executive orders. Obama's signed off on more than 923 already.
Please read this thread about executive orders; you will feel much more optimistic afterwards.
Old December 19, 2012, 06:38 PM   #11
Glenn E. Meyer

This is an L and CR topic and we have threads there about such possible legislation.

Thus, closed.