The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 3, 2014, 04:13 AM   #1
Metal god

Re-seating already loaded rounds

I had worked up a 308 load using 178gr A-MAX and 40.3gr of IMR-4064 . I started the seating depth about 20 thou off the lands and that worked pretty good (sub moa all day long ). I was happy with that so I loaded a couple hundred up and was good to go . The other day I got a wild hair and loaded a few rounds closer to the lands . I loaded up 3 more lots each 5 thou closer to the lands then the last . Turns out my rifle likes them 10 thou closer .

I have/had 80+ rounds still loaded to the original 20 thou off the lands . What I did was . Use my kinetic energy hammer to pop the bullets out a bit , not all the way . Just enough so I could get a new seating depth by running them through the seating die again .

Anybody think that's a bad idea or is that common practice in the reloading world ?

My only thought was knocking or jamming the powder around and have it stick or settle in places or ways you don't want it to .

Maybe that whole lot will have a different bullet hold/neck tension then if it was seated right the first time ?

What say you ?

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 3, 2014, 04:21 AM   #2
steve4102

I have done this many many times. No issues for my and my ammo.
Old January 3, 2014, 10:23 AM   #3
Rifleman1776

Unless accuracy was seriously affected, which I doubt, no offense, but I think you are way over thinking the (non) issue.
However, go ahead and do it, no problem.
Old January 3, 2014, 10:39 AM   #4
Jay24bal

I have done this exact thing, and even re-seated the bullets after completely pulling them without resizing. It was never a problem, and I only noticed accuracy affected in one of my guns (out of the 6 rifles I load for).

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old January 3, 2014, 11:25 AM   #5
AllenJ

I don't know if it is common practice but I've also used that trick. It did not cause any problems that I could see.
Old January 3, 2014, 11:30 AM   #6
4runnerman

Hey Metal. Been there done that. I know the type shooting you are doing. It will affect your accuracy some what. How much depends on what your neck tension was to start. The deal is- You can shoot them,but don't take what you see as the real story ( accuracy wise ) or pull them and start over. I did the 2 pounds with the hammer and re seated- Used them just for 100 or 200 yard fun rounds. Throw some clays out and 300 and just have one day of fun shooting with them.
Old January 3, 2014, 11:44 AM   #7
Bart B.

Reseating bullets was often done with 30 caliber M72 and 7.62 NATO M118 match ammo. I've taken my Lyman 310 Nutcracker Tool to the range with a .308 Win. seater die in it and used it to seat those 172-gr. match bullets in M118 ammo a few thousandths deeper.

'Twas done to break the black asphultum seal so the bullet release force would be more uniform. Doing this reduced vertical stringing at long range by as much as 50% with some lots of ammo.
Old January 3, 2014, 12:56 PM   #8
Metal god

This is a long range load for me so accuracy is very important . If I do my part , I shaved almost a 1/4 MOA off the group size . That's going to be a big deal at 900yds . 900yds is the longest range around here and I plan to shoot comp there soon . I was going to shoot in a comp last month but work got in the way .

Thanks for the reply's .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .